I want to connect my mfj998 to my 6500 with a radio interface cable,could someone me witch connection I use on the rear of my radio.thanks

• Question
  • Updated 1 month ago
I want to connect my mfj998 to my 6500 with a radio interface cable,could someone tell me witch connection I use on the rear of my radio.
Photo of Tony Hateley

Tony Hateley

• 297 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 2769 Posts
  • 610 Reply Likes
You can use a usb from the  Flex to serial cable
On that tuner you really don't need it,,just use the band sencer with the PL59 connectors
Photo of Tony Hateley

Tony Hateley

• 297 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
It’s a rj45 connected on the rear of mfj998 so I need pinout for this as well
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 2769 Posts
  • 610 Reply Likes
rj45 is for remote use,,,you need to use the serial port....
Photo of Doug Hall

Doug Hall

• 187 Posts
  • 54 Reply Likes
Bill,
The serial port is only for firmware updates on the MFJ-998. Have you actually controlled one using a USB-to-Serial cable from the Flex?
Doug, K4DSP
Photo of N5LB - Lionel B

N5LB - Lionel B

• 131 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
I am curious to know what functionality you are trying to obtain.   I have a 993B and have considered the same thing, interface to the 6400.   My old TS850 internal tuner would retune to the nearest "known" settings when I changed bands so, seldom did I need the Tune button on the radio. That's the functionality I would want from the 993B and the interface but I am not sure the command set for the tuner supports using the 6400 data. 

Now, when changing bands I just hit the 6400 tune button and it works fine. 
Photo of Lasse Moell

Lasse Moell

• 85 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Tony,
As you probably know by reading the manual (?) the radio interface is ONLY for starting/stopping the transmitter.AFAIK the Flex do not have that feature, i.e. a logic signal to start emitting a low-power signal for the tuner to use. You have to settle for the "normal" tuning i.e. set  tune power in SSDR to a low value (10 W), and press the "tune" in SSDR, and let the MFJ do its magic.

As for the serial port, it is only for firmware upgrade on the tuner.

Photo of Tony Hateley

Tony Hateley

• 297 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
So you mean just relye on rf senseing
Photo of Lasse Moell

Lasse Moell

• 85 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Well, as I do not have the MFJ.... nor have I seen it, but by reading the manual, it looks as if the tuner do measure the frequency, and act up on that. The radio interface is described in the manual, figure 5.
Pin1 2 and 3 13.8 V DC in
Pin 4 and 5 Ground
Pin 6 Key/TT/TX
Pin 7 TX inh
Pin 8 Start(TS/RX
No band data nor frequency information in this interface!!!

From manual:
When you key your transmitter, MFJ’s InstantRecall checks its memory to see if you have operated on that frequency before. If so, tuning is instantaneous and you’re ready to operate. If not, MFJ’s IntelliTune algorithm (based on MFJ’s famous SWR Analyzer technology) kicks in. It measures the complex impedance of your antenna. Next it calculates the components needed and instantly snaps them in. Finally, it fine-tunes to minimize SWR, and you’re ready to operate – typically in a fraction of a second.

An optional transceiver interface cable is NOT necessary for normal operation. However, a transceiver interface cable simplifies operation by automatically keying your transceiver in a low power TUNE mode.