Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

I think I want my IC-7610 back!

13»

Comments

• Bob- W5TX
    Bob- W5TX Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Do you only have the issue if you transmit? What happens if you just receive and mess around — change bands etc. if all is well when you don’t xmit the issue is rf incursion, and you, need to address that issue rather than worry about Flex LAN capabilities. Are you using an amp? Very little of the LAN hardware has any rf protection including most routers. I am on FIOS fiber isp and I discovered that when I operated at high power on 160-40 I shut down my internet completely. It was caused by the power supply for the fiber entrance device shutting down when in presence of high rf field. ISP was unable to fix! I bought a separate power supply and no more issue. Lots of opportunities for system issues. Dropping a few bits on the radio data system is a lot different than same issue on streaming video etc. Keep trying some suggested fixes and let us know when you find the problem. Remember that like most system type problems there are lots of players involved - PC, Microsoft, ISP, modem supplier, Flex and your particular installation. I guess if the pursuit of a solution annoys you then another path may be the answer to your particular situation. Good luck in whatever direction you pursue. Bob
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2019
    The cold boot of Maestro requires holding the power button past where the window to slide down appears. Keep holding the button. The screen will go black but buttons will be still lit. Keep holding until the button backlight goes out. That will perform a cold boot.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited June 2019
    I run a version 1 Maestro on the public WiFi at work which is fed with a 100/35 cable modem and Linksys AC3200 router doing the NAT translation and DHCP. We use Enterasys access points and typically have easily over 100 concurrent WiFi connections. Some streaming Roku players or Apple TVs. I do not have any reboot issues on the Maestro. Something on your network may be chewing up bandwidth, especially if the cameras are recording full time to a home DVR at high def. See what Dan finds when you talk to him. Tell us about your WiFi network so we can understand what you have and help make more informed suggestions.
  • Huskerbobe
    Huskerbobe Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    This happens before I even think about transmitting.  A few times everything seemed normal and I could not get it to transmit.  No, this is not a transmit issue, happens when I receive all the time.  Thanks, Bob
  • Huskerbobe
    Huskerbobe Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Thanks David, I will give that a try.
  • Huskerbobe
    Huskerbobe Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Thanks David, I will give that a try.
  • Douglas Maxwell
    Douglas Maxwell Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Flexradios don’t play well on gigabit Ethernet. I had to downgrade my network to fast Ethernet to get rid of audio pops, clicks, missing imagery and startup problems. My solution was to ditch a Netgear GS105 and buy a Netgear FS105. My old network worked fine for Netflix, Apple TV, etc, no problems whatsoever.
  • Bobby
    Bobby Member
    edited June 2019
    Just the other day you posted about losing qso's in a contest due to issues, If I recall right they were similiar issues this gentleman has, so you might help him out a bit, thats what he is looking for im sure.
  • Rocinante
    Rocinante Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I'd suggest that no wifi router likes RFI coming in via Ethernet cables, and that as an empirical experiment it's worth adding filters / chokes to all cables entering / leaving the router.
  • Rocinante
    Rocinante Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Ok great question, interesting answer. I only had issues when I tried to transmit. Hmm...
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Are you asking for help?  Someone to convince you to keep it? What?  Not sure I understand your post either...  

More info could help us in helping you.. such as is it a wired or wireless connection that seems to have the issue or both?  What is the packet rate, network, latency, etc???   Is it just a meastro issue?  Do you have the same issue working from a PC (SmartSDR on PC)?

Good Luck with whatever you decide

• Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    @RJE - You cannot really be equating the low latency needed for two-way communications with the buffered streaming of video (doesn't matter which way)?

The "slop" you camera feeds have are smoothed over by buffering at the end that is playing them, with a significant and perhaps varying time delay.

That same sort of time daly and variation would make your radio sound like "Maxx Headroom" if you remember that animated character. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYdpOjletnc )

You are comparing Apples and Oranges, and frustrating yourself in the process.

FRS has white papers in the support area (knowledge base), there is information in the user manuals, and resources in the searchable community.

The tremendous outreach from other community members adds to the support you're getting.

Now it is time for you to step up, absorb what you need to know about the LAN part of your radio server to client network, and make your decisions.

I don't think you would trade off a new car you bought (like your Flex) just because you ran over some broken glass you never knew you had (like your lousy network situation).  I think you'd pony up for a new tire before you had the scrap dealer drag you car away.

Every one of us has to decide if we're going to "Step Up" or if we're going to "Step Out" when we run info complexity issues that stump us.  

And bluntly your all caps assumption is rubbish.  You're rationalizing away a failure of cheap little stuff in your network for some reason.  No idea why, but be certain the assumption is excuse making ****.

When we replace our "I don't want to be bothered" whine with an "I will overcome" attitude we will succeed.

I KNOW YOU CAN - you've already got it figured out with your separate non-network testing.  

Looks like the rest is up to you.

GL & 73

Steve
    K9ZW

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    What type of Lan products people have at home is out of Flex hands. There is a mountain of products out there. As steve mentioned, the data flow needed for all the Flex system is much different than any other devices you use. This is a point that gets lost on many people.

For many, the Flex is plug and play and just works. In my case, I touched nothing and my radio communications works really well over lan.

For those who think this is a Flex weak point, If they ever buy another radio product they better hope it is not Lan dependent to operate, or you will have the same issues caused by a flacky Lan system.
  • Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Bobby, if your above comments were addressed to me and my post about Contest experience, I have nothing to add here. There are many great suggestions posted here over last few days.
    I shared my experience with some connections issues and while I do not have solution yet, i am learning now what I can do different and what could be a solution.
    I never said anything about Flex or about to go back to my trusted Yaesu FT5000MPDX that sitting next to Flex..
    My issue was that I tried to have SSDR to overview all CW segment of the band and use Maestro as a client (ver3 here) to work in zoomed in mode. I had noise,cracks in audio when I tuned Maestro VFO.
    After I closed desktop SSDR and used Maestro only, everything was fine.
    I also keep in mind that my 2 kids using Internet all the time, mostly streaming video. Not sure if this is a route cause for overloading my local network enough or not.
    Anyway, this issue was first few hours of contest , with Maestro only, I run rest of the contest (about 30h) without any communication issue.

Now, to the person who initiated that thread : I understand the frustration and sometimes frustrated myself as well.
    But I am curious Engineer and not running away but working to solve the puzzle.
    I completely agree with Steve post above and will repeat what I said before- it is up to you if you are willing to understand, learn and fix your issue. If not , switch to another brand.

Sergey, KN7K
  • Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Hi Huskerbobe.  One of the first things to do if you suspect a network issue is to start as far back as you can, then work your way forward. This would involve plugging your Maestro or your computer directly into the 6400.

Then if that works, start attaching cables to a wired system. If that works, then go wireless if you have plans of doing that. Each mode of operation has it's pluses and minuses. Wireless is slower but less prone to RFI. Wired generally presents less problems, with a few caveats.

General notes that are not all related to your issue, but good to know:

A static IP is always helpful.

Beware some wireless routers. Some will reboot when you transmit. I've had two netgears that do that on certain 40 meter frequencies. Rebooting will mess everything up even if you are running wired.

Put toroids on every wire connected to the computer that doesn't have them already. Not all actually need them, but the less troubleshooting, the better.

Your LAN should work FB unless it is really deficient, so I think we can work our way through this issue. It can get frustrating, especially if you aren't used to the heavy computing aspects of Flex Radios.

• Chuck - W9WLX
    Chuck - W9WLX Member
    edited June 2019
    I’m running Win10 PRO x64 1903 with 3.0.19 with no change in network health. On my LAN it’s always all green bars, Excellent network diagnostic.
  • Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    Neal Pollack, N6YFM Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Yes, but some people have internet providers that are SO bad, the internet speed
    does not even rival Morse Code with severe fade....

• Chuck - W9WLX
    Chuck - W9WLX Member
    edited June 2019
    Yep! I was referencing what I’m seeing on my LAN. Too many variables to address with WAN connectivity in my high level observation.
  • Huskerbobe
    Huskerbobe Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Final:  In a nutshell, after much help from Dan Quigley with FLEX, I replaced my ISP with a much faster service, replaced my 10 year old router with a new MESH system, replaced my plastic box switches with metal boxes, and replaced some of my LAN cables with shielded LAN cables.  Since then everything has worked PERFECT, no issues at all.  Remote in with my Ipad and Maestro have been perfect also.  Someday I will upgrade from 2.49 but not in any hurry for that since I am a Happy FLEX owner right now.  Thank-you Dan for all your help.
  • KI4P
    KI4P Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Glad you got your radio to suite you! Kinda sounds like some of it was a RF problem! ENJOY!
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited August 2019
    Excellent, another great Flex support story! Dan is great. Dave wo2x
  • Ross Slater
    Ross Slater Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I have a ic7610 if you are interested in trade
  • Dan-N7HQ
    Dan-N7HQ FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager admin
    edited August 2019
    Thank you, Bob, but I deserve no credit for the solution, you did all the work and upgraded your network to boot.  

Like many more mature systems that suffer(ed) from RFI, like telephone, television, cable, etc. we've collectively come to understand (and fix) them for ourselves and neighbors.  The proliferation of consumer-grade networks puts that equipment and connections in the same boat.  Your case is a strong example of how important the network has become in Amateur Radio operations and reliability - and that importance will only grow.  

Best,
    Dan
  • Jim Brinza
    Jim Brinza Member
    edited March 2020
    I have. A 7610 I want to sell. I like the flex way more!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.