Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

I think I want my IC-7610 back!

Comments

• CharlieW
    CharlieW Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Never had a problem with disconnects using v3.0 with my Maestro and 6400.  The Flex works great.
  • Huskerbobe
    Huskerbobe Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Update:  This morning I first turned on the Flex 6400, when the solid green light came on, I turned on the Maestro.  After going through the wireless connection again(which I usually don't have to do when turning the radio/maestro on) I noticed on the screen it stated "update 3 of 4".  After the updates it turned on and so far, so good, not a single drop out.  Going to take the Maestro and try running remote at a fellow ham's house today.  We will see how that works!  Still running v2.49 after the updates.

• Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Selling a rig usually means the seller will incur a significant financial loss from the original purchase price. This may not be easily absorbed by many owners.

Expressing frustration at unexpected problems and issues is not what I would consider "whining" .

Too many contributors to these forums seem to have elevated themselves to the exalted position of Guardian Of The Royal Order Of Flex. They hold constant vigil for any dissension within the ranks. I myself have felt their wrath when I dared to point out several issues.

I've found that the most effective defense against this public dressing down is to completely ignore their comments. It works quite well.

When submitting ideas for improvement it might be a good idea to suggest an ignore button for this forum. It certainly comes in handy on QRZ.

• Lionel
    Lionel Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    What is the OS in use? I intentionally upgraded to w10x64 1903 and now see far more yellow and red on the SSDR connection indicator. A lot more, and while just receiving. High > 10% packet loss. This is a dedicated shack computer. Also this is direct connected to the computer and the computer thru another port to the WiFi network. I don’t have a maestro. After a minute it gets back to normal, but can return without apparent cause., So I wonder about 1903 and some MS concept of a “good idea.” Yeah, probably. Another bit, this is V2.49 that has been in use since first available, with few connectivity issues. I’ve found RF to be a problem and the solution is to eliminate RF ground loops in the shack. Nothing else made any difference in the RF into the network problem. Except for pilot error, 2.49 has not crashed. I’d **** the network to bare essentials and build back the other parts until the problem returns, one change at a time, then test.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Sorry to hear about your radio problems, Un like many radios, Flex radios need good Lan connectivity to work correctly and that can be a challenge at times.
  • KI4P
    KI4P Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Well, my two cents, and probably no ones cares, BUT! I personally think the title of the post has a lot to draw negative comments, titles such as I wish I had my old rig back, or I hate this rig! I've found that if you just describe the problem and ask for help, someone or many will offer suggestions and help. I understand that we all get frustrated at times with something we aren't familar with and say things that come out wrong! And sometimes it's hard not to take some comments as personal attacks, but that's human nature! All that to say this, stay calm and ignore the sarcastic comments, which I may have said a time or two to some. Enjoy the radio, I hope you get the problem solved and enjoy the radio as much as I enjoy my 6400!
  • Rocinante
    Rocinante Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I believe I had what looked like RF issues with my WiFi router when I had the 6400 connected to the router via a short Cat7 cable, which resulted in having the radio pretty close to the router.

On certain frequencies, hitting the Xmit key would knock my computer running SSDR off the WiFi and lock everything up. I already had a 1:1 choke between the radio and the antenna to cut down on RF getting into the shack, but I clearly had a nasty RF-related issue.

When I switched to a 50ft Cat7 cable and moved the radio across the room from the router, this problem was eliminated

Still on my ToDo list at home: connect my 6400 chassis to a quality ground, which should further eliminate the likelihood of RF issues in the shack.

My home shack is simple: 6400, end-fed Ultimax 100 antenna, 50 ft of coax, 1:1 choke, another 12 ft of coax, 50ft of Cat7 cable, a high-end wifi router, and a Mac running SSDR via Parallels with Windows 10.

When I'm on the road I connect my laptop to the WiFi in our Airstream for Internet. Then I put the 6400 on a picnic table outside, and connect the radio directly to my laptop, also outside, via a separate RJ45 connection. The 50ft Cat7 cable sits coiled on the table between the 6400 and my laptop, which might be functioning as some sort of induction coil that helps reduce RF issues between the laptop and the radio. (If so, it's an accidental benefit of how I neatly coiled the excess Ethernet cable on the table between the two devices.) Anyway, this config also works reliably.

So, part of the secret might be to use a longer Ethernet cable between your radio and its endpoint, whether that be a router, a computer, or a Maestro.  Maybe some kind of RF choke on the ethernet cable?  (Full disclosure, I don't have a Maestro, because I'm happy running SSDR on my Mac via Windows.)

• mikeatthebeach .
    mikeatthebeach . Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    What you say makes Sense Sometimes on 80meters & 40meters transmitting Caused RF to get into LAN cable the Radio would crash!!!! I got a pair of DX Engineering Ethernet Filters and that solved the Problem 73 Mike
  • mikeatthebeach .
    mikeatthebeach . Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Try Ethernet instead of WiFi that might help
  • Rocinante
    Rocinante Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Thanks, and hey, what a good idea! I'll be ordering a couple of those filters ASAP.

73 Bill K4VM, currently in Acadia National Park
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Strongest recommendation prior to posting discontent in the forum is to initiate a trouble ticket with flex.   Flex has top notch support.  use it.  I have known the support team a long time.. and they are top notch.
  • SteveM
    SteveM Member
    edited May 2019
    Dan,

I was actually interested in trading with you. I have an IC-7610 that has been powered-up for only 20 minutes total. However, that was the case until I figured-out you want the full brand-new value from your used equipment. Eek, I guess you were not serious, but only appealing to extremes.
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Huskerbobe I never said you were whining.
  • Douglas Maxwell
    Douglas Maxwell Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Wow, I have never seen so many elmers, directors and technologists spring to help a user on this forum. Looks like the effect of the upcoming Elecraft k4 has finally kicked flex out their slumber. Well done flex, keep up the good work.
  • Huskerbobe
    Huskerbobe Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Update:  After drop outs and a shut down this morning, I plugged the LAN cable direct to the Maestro.  I will see how that works for now.  Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and I will continue to try options to get it back to where it was.
  • Huskerbobe
    Huskerbobe Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    It has been working perfect since the LAN cable was connected direct from the 6400 and the Maestro.  Maybe my wireless/LAN system that doesn't like the Flex?
  • Huskerbobe
    Huskerbobe Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I don't believe Flex would refund my Icom 7610 and cash paid for the Flex System.  If they would I would take them up on it.  
    Here is my problem, If I would of known that an average LAN system would not work, I probably wouldn't of bought the Flex system.  However, nowhere in anything I read from Flex indicated you have to have a perfect and new LAN system. My LAN works perfect for streaming video and our closed circuit camera system.  We can be in Phoenix and watch our house, even talk to it if we wanted to.  We stream video's and that works perfect.  SO ONE WOULD ASSUME MY LAN IS GOOD ENOUGH FOR THE FLEX SYSTEM!  From what I have read here and discussed with Flex Reps at Dayton/Xenia the average LAN system may not be good enough for the Flex setup.  This is all fine and dandy, but how was I suppose to know this fact BEFORE I purchased the Flex.  NOWHERE in any Flex literature does is say ANYTHING about the Flex system may not work with all LAN systems.  So, yes I feel cheated right now and probably will loose money on this what I thought was an upgrade.
    I suppose if nothing else works, I will upgrade my router and see if that helps.  If it doesn't I suppose I will have to send the system back to Flex for them to look at it.
  • Huskerbobe
    Huskerbobe Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Yes, I have worked with Michael in the past.  We thought we had everything working fine, and we did for a short period of time.  However that is not the case now.
  • Huskerbobe
    Huskerbobe Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Thanks Steve, so do I.  Just for the record I am not the least interested in the K4.
  • Huskerbobe
    Huskerbobe Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Dan, thank-you.  I will call you on Monday if that works for you.  Thanks again, Bob

Note to David, I am not using a cable modem.  I have completely shut down the Maestro by sliding the arrow to completely shut it down.  Also did that with the Flex 6400 several times.  Thanks, Bob
  • Huskerbobe
    Huskerbobe Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Dan, I just wanted to be back to where I was before I purchased the Flex.  If I would of known then, what I know now, I would of never made the deal.  Please see my comments about an average LAN system and one that will work with Flex.  Thank-you, Bob
  • Huskerbobe
    Huskerbobe Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Dan, I just wanted to be back to where I was before I purchased the Flex.  If I would of known then, what I know now, I would of never made the deal.  Please see my comments about an average LAN system and one that will work with Flex.  Thank-you, Bob
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2019
    It should just work like everything else you have on a lan. It is just an excuse for **** poor Lan operation on Flex’s part. Should not need special lan equipment.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2020
    When will flex have thisimage

Transmit signal analyzer
  • CharlieW
    CharlieW Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Steve good thing you didn’t sell your MB-1 like you were planning to do.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2020
    I know ha I get these brain farts. Moved some stuff around in RV and its working better than the Flex did in the RV
  • CharlieW
    CharlieW Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I know what you mean. Had the same thing when I almost bought the MB-1 but then realized that the Flex 6400 was better.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2020
    Theyre all good till they break.
  • Dan-N7HQ
    Dan-N7HQ FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager admin
    edited June 2019
    FlexRadio products do not require special LAN equipment - I certainly don't have anything special.  Generally speaking, if you can stream a Netflix movie using your LAN infrastructure without dropouts or stuttering, it is more than adequate.  

Today's Amateurs, even those that do not own a FlexRadio must start considering their LAN as critical infrastructure and deploying tools that can monitor performance, usage and potentially defend the LAN from attacks by bad actors.  

A product I like is Fing (see https://www.fing.com) they have free software that runs on a mobile device, but they also have Fingbox which is hardware and offers more sophisticated security and control. 
  • KM6CQ - Dan
    KM6CQ - Dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    MS is offering me 1903 and I will wait. Everything is working well right now and I do not want to delegate time to it. I know nothing will go wrong, it always works but they can vet another machine. If I had it on a VM that might be fun.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.