I think I want my IC-7610 back!

• Problem
  • Updated 2 months ago
From the conversation on this list and my own problems with the Maestro and the Flex 6400, I think I want my IC-7610 back.  My Maestro looses connection with my 6400 way too much, and at the exact time I want to transmit or check into a net.  I am going to try the LAN cord direct between the 6400 and Maestro.  However, doing that I loose my internet access and updates until I change it back to do so.  Had my Flex 6400/Maestro for about two months and if I knew what I know now, I would not of made the change and spent the money to do so!
Photo of Huskerbobe

Huskerbobe

• 17 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
  • disappointed

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Sergey Abrikosov

Sergey Abrikosov

• 258 Posts
  • 31 Reply Likes
What is the purpose of this post?
If you do not want to understand/learn/fix your communication issue, just get ICOM back.
I run 6600 with Flex 6600 for about 9 month with not such issues.
Good luck
Photo of Huskerbobe

Huskerbobe

• 17 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I don't believe Flex would refund my Icom 7610 and cash paid for the Flex System.  If they would I would take them up on it.  
Here is my problem, If I would of known that an average LAN system would not work, I probably wouldn't of bought the Flex system.  However, nowhere in anything I read from Flex indicated you have to have a perfect and new LAN system. My LAN works perfect for streaming video and our closed circuit camera system.  We can be in Phoenix and watch our house, even talk to it if we wanted to.  We stream video's and that works perfect.  SO ONE WOULD ASSUME MY LAN IS GOOD ENOUGH FOR THE FLEX SYSTEM!  From what I have read here and discussed with Flex Reps at Dayton/Xenia the average LAN system may not be good enough for the Flex setup.  This is all fine and dandy, but how was I suppose to know this fact BEFORE I purchased the Flex.  NOWHERE in any Flex literature does is say ANYTHING about the Flex system may not work with all LAN systems.  So, yes I feel cheated right now and probably will loose money on this what I thought was an upgrade.
I suppose if nothing else works, I will upgrade my router and see if that helps.  If it doesn't I suppose I will have to send the system back to Flex for them to look at it.
(Edited)
Photo of Bobby

Bobby

• 10 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Just the other day you posted about losing qso's in a contest due to issues, If I recall right they were similiar issues this gentleman has, so you might help him out a bit, thats what he is looking for im sure.
(Edited)
Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1453 Posts
  • 736 Reply Likes
@RJE - You cannot really be equating the low latency needed for two-way communications with the buffered streaming of video (doesn't matter which way)?

The "slop" you camera feeds have are smoothed over by buffering at the end that is playing them, with a significant and perhaps varying time delay.

That same sort of time daly and variation would make your radio sound like "Maxx Headroom" if you remember that animated character. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYdpOjletnc )

You are comparing Apples and Oranges, and frustrating yourself in the process.

FRS has white papers in the support area (knowledge base), there is information in the user manuals, and resources in the searchable community.

The tremendous outreach from other community members adds to the support you're getting.

Now it is time for you to step up, absorb what you need to know about the LAN part of your radio server to client network, and make your decisions.

I don't think you would trade off a new car you bought (like your Flex) just because you ran over some broken glass you never knew you had (like your lousy network situation).  I think you'd pony up for a new tire before you had the scrap dealer drag you car away.

Every one of us has to decide if we're going to "Step Up" or if we're going to "Step Out" when we run info complexity issues that stump us.  

And bluntly your all caps assumption is rubbish.  You're rationalizing away a failure of cheap little stuff in your network for some reason.  No idea why, but be certain the assumption is excuse making crap.

When we replace our "I don't want to be bothered" whine with an "I will overcome" attitude we will succeed.

I KNOW YOU CAN - you've already got it figured out with your separate non-network testing.  

Looks like the rest is up to you.

GL & 73

Steve
K9ZW
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3787 Posts
  • 913 Reply Likes
What type of Lan products people have at home is out of Flex hands. There is a mountain of products out there. As steve mentioned, the data flow needed for all the Flex system is much different than any other devices you use. This is a point that gets lost on many people.

For many, the Flex is plug and play and just works. In my case, I touched nothing and my radio communications works really well over lan.

For those who think this is a Flex weak point, If they ever buy another radio product they better hope it is not Lan dependent to operate, or you will have the same issues caused by a flacky Lan system.
Photo of Sergey Abrikosov

Sergey Abrikosov

• 258 Posts
  • 31 Reply Likes
Bobby, if your above comments were addressed to me and my post about Contest experience, I have nothing to add here. There are many great suggestions posted here over last few days.
I shared my experience with some connections issues and while I do not have solution yet, i am learning now what I can do different and what could be a solution.
I never said anything about Flex or about to go back to my trusted Yaesu FT5000MPDX that sitting next to Flex..
My issue was that I tried to have SSDR to overview all CW segment of the band and use Maestro as a client (ver3 here) to work in zoomed in mode. I had noise,cracks in audio when I tuned Maestro VFO.
After I closed desktop SSDR and used Maestro only, everything was fine.
I also keep in mind that my 2 kids using Internet all the time, mostly streaming video. Not sure if this is a route cause for overloading my local network enough or not.
Anyway, this issue was first few hours of contest , with Maestro only, I run rest of the contest (about 30h) without any communication issue.

Now, to the person who initiated that thread : I understand the frustration and sometimes frustrated myself as well.
But I am curious Engineer and not running away but working to solve the puzzle.
I completely agree with Steve post above and will repeat what I said before- it is up to you if you are willing to understand, learn and fix your issue. If not , switch to another brand.

Sergey, KN7K
(Edited)
Photo of David Decoons wo2x

David Decoons wo2x, Elmer

• 1369 Posts
  • 293 Reply Likes
I have not seen any posts that you are experiencing problems (this is your first post).
Have you opened a Help Desk ticket with Flex? 

If you get the issue with the network fixed you will then be able to really enjoy what the Flex and Maestro has to offer.

Photo of Huskerbobe

Huskerbobe

• 17 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Yes, I have worked with Michael in the past.  We thought we had everything working fine, and we did for a short period of time.  However that is not the case now.
(Edited)
Photo of mikeatthebeach .

mikeatthebeach .

• 443 Posts
  • 80 Reply Likes
Try V2.49 less disconnects than version 3
(Edited)
Photo of Huskerbobe

Huskerbobe

• 17 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I am still using v2.49 as that is what came with it.  With all the discussions on V3 problems I have not even thought about touching that yet.  I have read several possible solutions in this thread, that I am going to try.  I will report back when I get time to try them.  Thank-you, Bob
Photo of WW1SS - Steve

WW1SS - Steve

• 755 Posts
  • 259 Reply Likes
Had the same problems with mine. Tried different Lan Cables. Bought the shielded CAT 6 cable. Tried DX Engineering LAN RF noise eliminators. Would go from green and 5 bars to red and one just like that disconnect, or connected somewhere else,reboot etc. Purchased an Expert Electronics MB-1 and very happy with it. Noise elimination works, ANF works. They did their homework like Elecraft with the K4. Flex better get their act together or these companies are gonna go right by them.

Start Flaming Elmers!!!
Photo of Joe N3HEE

Joe N3HEE

• 327 Posts
  • 75 Reply Likes
To be fair, we won’t know about how well the K4 will work until the end of this year at the earliest. Elecraft has a long way to go with K4 software development. I am watching Elecraft closely.

BTW- The new Yaesu FTdx-101D has confirmed transmitter overshoot problems.

I own a 6600M and feel that even with it’s many flaws the radio is ahead of the curve compared to recent competition.

No a Flex fanboy by any means. Just an educated consumer.
Photo of Robert Lonn

Robert Lonn

• 364 Posts
  • 119 Reply Likes
The MB-1 is made in  RUSSIA,, I dont think so!!!! I will stay with the FLEX USA version and the Software and normal hours of support... 6600M going strong after  one year...
Robert
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3787 Posts
  • 913 Reply Likes
Back to an 7610,,ouch!!!

• 1369 Posts
  • 293 Reply Likes
MB-1 last software update April, 2018.
Photo of Neal Pollack, N6YFM

Neal Pollack, N6YFM

• 241 Posts
  • 120 Reply Likes
The Icom 7610 is a very nice rig, as is the Icom 7300 that serves as my backup radio.
But my Flex 6600 has capabilities that the Icom does not.  I like my Flex.
I am keeping my Flex.   But choice is good, and if you like the Icom better, nothing wrong with that.

Neal
Photo of WW1SS - Steve

WW1SS - Steve

• 755 Posts
  • 259 Reply Likes
Try version 1.30 on 4/25/19 for software Dave. If your gonna post make sure you get it right. Next update will be out in a few weeks for MB-1 software. Also MB-1 is made in China like most of our stuff. Designed in Russia by same company that sells Sun SDR. There are a lot if amplifiers also using Russian Tubes. No one complains about that.
(Edited)

• 1369 Posts
  • 293 Reply Likes
Well. Their .eu website only lists 1.20. So if 1.30 is out I stand corrected and learned something.
Photo of Charlie Wirth

Charlie Wirth

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Never had a problem with disconnects using v3.0 with my Maestro and 6400.  The Flex works great.
Photo of Kevin Darrah

Kevin Darrah

• 28 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
The more experiences I have with my 6400... The more I wished I would have never bought the damn thing either. 

Neal Pollack, N6YFM

• 247 Posts
  • 120 Reply Likes
Sell it and buy something else.    There is no one radio, or car, or house, that is the correct choice for EVERY consumer.   Life is short, buy what makes you happy.

For me, the 6600 was a great choice and I am enjoying it massively.
For others, maybe the Icom or the Yaesu is their perfect choice.
You have to wear the shoe that fits, not the one that your friends have...

Neal
Photo of AB4RW

AB4RW

• 108 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
there is always a market for pre loved radios!
Photo of Steve

Steve

• 100 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
I always wonder, oh wait, I have seen people get pretty pissed of with difficulties they are having only to find out it is "cock pit" error.  I have both the 6400 and the 6600 one on version 2.4.9 and one on 3..no problems.  Hope you get yours worked out.  73's
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1233 Posts
  • 478 Reply Likes
I have made cockpit errors with the 6400M  but not with the 7300. With the 6400M I power it up, go to the mailbox outside, read the mail and the 6400M is ready, with the 7300 I power it up take a breath and it is ready. There was discussion on the K4 and we will have to see if it works, my KX3 all worked when I got it and updates were free and none of the updates disabled previously working features. 
Photo of Huskerbobe

Huskerbobe

• 17 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Thanks Steve, so do I.  Just for the record I am not the least interested in the K4.
Photo of Dan Quigley N7HQ, 4O7HQ

Dan Quigley N7HQ, 4O7HQ

• 22 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Bob?  (Not sure that is your name)  like many products that reach consumers over the past 5-10 years, the heart of a functional FlexRadio installation is a functional network.   The next step you are contemplating ( to connect the Maestro and 6400 directly) is draconian and despite your frustrations is not a good solution. 

I am happy to assist and help you sort out your technical problems.  Please feel free to call me directly at 206-225-8008. 

Part of my role here at FlexRadio is to understand and help reduce frustrating experiences with our Amateur products.   I would love to hear from anyone with constructive ideas on how I best achieve that.  

Dan Quigley, N7HQ
Director, Product Management
FlexRadio Systems
Photo of Huskerbobe

Huskerbobe

• 17 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Dan, thank-you for reaching out to me.  We first had a ISP problem with getting some ports open. Michael helped me with that and it has been fixed.  After that it seemed to work ok for a few weeks.  I have not upgraded to v3, still running v2.49.  I have had problems the last few weeks, but yesterday during the morning nets the Maestro paused several times.  I was not able to transmit when that was going on.  Finally the Maestro shut down twice.  At that time I shut the Flex 6400 and Maestro down and finished the net with my old Icom IC-7600.  After I turned the 6400 on, waited for it to get booted up and then turned on the Maestro.  Same problems.  So that is why the frustration.  My post was obviously written out of frustration, and I apologize for that.  No changes have taken place that I know of between when it was working ok and when it wasn't.  I have not put any additional equipment on to load down my LAN.  Could the 6400 and/or the Maestro been trying to upgrade?  Could my LAN just be overloaded with other traffic?  Not to likely as I am the only one here in the mornings.  I have also noticed when I use my iPad over my network I get dropouts, but when I use it over cellular, they are much fewer.  I hope my problem is LAN and not Flex, but everything else seems to work fine on the LAN.  Thank-you, Bob

Dan Quigley N7HQ, 4O7HQ

• 22 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Hi Bob,  thanks for responding here and please, no need (ever) to apologize for being frustrated as a customer.   

I've had the good fortune to have a deep technical background in consumer networking and there have been plenty of personally frustrating times, despite my experience.  The bottom line is consumer networks is an absolute mess; increasingly so since it seems like just about everything has a Wi-Fi chipset in it these days.  I own a Wi-Fi enabled toaster oven that I can control with Alexa, for example. 

Amateur radio products are now more dependent on Ethernet networks (wired or wireless) than ever - and as Michael points out - networks are now critical shack infrastructure.  It does sound to me like your problems are network-related, and would like to arrange a time (off forum) to confirm that (or not) then come up with a plan to resolve the problem and hopefully end your frustrations. 

I'm traveling on business over the weekend but please drop me a note at dan@flex-radio.com  or call my cell and let's see if we can carve out time on Saturday to run some tests. 

Dan Quigley, N7HQ
FlexRadio Systems
dan@flex-radio.com
Cell: 206-225-8008

Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1232 Posts
  • 478 Reply Likes
I got help from Flex wow was it ever the best from Eric Wachsmann.

• 1369 Posts
  • 293 Reply Likes
Bob,

Are you using a cable modem by chance? Can you post the model and make? Reason I am asking is there is a known bug with the Puma 6 chipset in some modems which can cause high DPC spikes. Also,

Another thing to try is a cold start of the Maestro. With the Maestro on hold the power button down. You will see a message to “slide to shutdown”. Continue holding the power button about 20 seconds after ALL lights on Maestro go out.

Now turn it on and retest.

If you only hit the power button momentarily to shut down the Maestro it puts it in a hibernate state. By holding the power button as described above it does a complete shutdown.

Dave wo2x
Photo of Huskerbobe

Huskerbobe

• 17 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Dan, thank-you.  I will call you on Monday if that works for you.  Thanks again, Bob

Note to David, I am not using a cable modem.  I have completely shut down the Maestro by sliding the arrow to completely shut it down.  Also did that with the Flex 6400 several times.  Thanks, Bob

• 1369 Posts
  • 293 Reply Likes
The cold boot of Maestro requires holding the power button past where the window to slide down appears. Keep holding the button. The screen will go black but buttons will be still lit. Keep holding until the button backlight goes out. That will perform a cold boot.
Photo of Huskerbobe

Huskerbobe

• 17 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Thanks David, I will give that a try.
Photo of Huskerbobe

Huskerbobe

• 17 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Thanks David, I will give that a try.
Photo of Michael N3LI

Michael N3LI

• 81 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Hi Huskerbobe.  One of the first things to do if you suspect a network issue is to start as far back as you can, then work your way forward. This would involve plugging your Maestro or your computer directly into the 6400.

Then if that works, start attaching cables to a wired system. If that works, then go wireless if you have plans of doing that. Each mode of operation has it's pluses and minuses. Wireless is slower but less prone to RFI. Wired generally presents less problems, with a few caveats.

General notes that are not all related to your issue, but good to know:

A static IP is always helpful.

Beware some wireless routers. Some will reboot when you transmit. I've had two netgears that do that on certain 40 meter frequencies. Rebooting will mess everything up even if you are running wired.

Put toroids on every wire connected to the computer that doesn't have them already. Not all actually need them, but the less troubleshooting, the better.

Your LAN should work FB unless it is really deficient, so I think we can work our way through this issue. It can get frustrating, especially if you aren't used to the heavy computing aspects of Flex Radios.
Photo of Gayle Lawson

Gayle Lawson

• 92 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
Very Interesting.  I don't run my Maestro much any more, however, I cannot recall when I had a disconnect when using it (6500 and 6600 radios).   I'm direct connected to the radio via a Link Sys 8 port switch, the Maestro is also connected to my home  wireless network.   The Maestro still phones home to Austin via the WIFI for updates  and controls the selected radio via the wired connection. 

Gayle K0FLY

Photo of Michael Walker

Michael Walker, Official Rep

• 829 Posts
  • 235 Reply Likes
Welcome Dan, and now you all know who he is!  :)

As the genesis of the HF radio (and all radios) continue for years to come, using TCP/IP (aka, you LAN and WAN) are all becoming a key part of your station evolution.  It doesn't have to be, but it is the logical progression. 

The LAN network is no different than your Microphone and your Antenna system now and has become a key part of any station. 

Look in the review mirror when you first got on HF and what you may (or may not) have known about RF and how an antenna works.   We do this to learn about things since it is, just cool.  And you get to geek out your friends.  I know all of you have friends who think you are the smartest person around and have no clue on what you do.  Stand proud!

Just about every staff member who knows what a NIC card is has been dialed into a customers home to work on the network and help our customers get to the next step.  All of us (hams) have have learned that it is easy to get a LAN network to work, but it takes a bit more effort to get it to work well.  Streaming HF data requires a network that works well or connections drop (this is not Netflix).

While a home network is sort of out of FRS's control, we have spent thousands of man hours helping out our customers with their network.  There is only so much of the communications layer we can control.  And in many many cases, we have Teamviewered in to make that leap a little easier because you are our customer and we want you to be successful and maybe teach you a few things along the way.   We do that because we know you will actually love the experience and be able to use HF radio in even better ways.

To the original poster - I do know who you are, but I have Mayor power on this group, we are happy to help, and I know that Tim has been working with you.  There are ways to have you Maestro cabled to the radio and still have internet access.  Sadly, WiFi is sometimes not our friend since it can be considered a party line when it comes to HF communications.  Is it possible that a small Network switch from Amazon may help you out? 

You have no idea how much we wish WiFI would work as well as our ISP says it should.

Never Stop Learning.  :)  -- one of many phrases I say.

Mike 
Photo of Bob- W5TX

Bob- W5TX

• 112 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Plenty of opportunity for RF to get into LAN cables in most stations particularly if running hi power. My station is a long way from ground which is even more susceptible to RF issues. I solved them all by using optical cabling. Relatively inexpensive (<$50) and problems disappeared. Computer inside of radio box helps (MB1) no cables required but with reduced capability. The Flex 5000 was similar. Don’t know where most of processing occurs (radio/computer). Too early to tell about Elecraft 4 which is still mostly a paper radio until it delivers next year or whenever. Most of us are still in the learning stage of integrating radio etc into a LAN and the WAN/internet where hardware is in general not hardened against RF. Learning can be both fun and sometimes frustrating.
Bob
Photo of Tim N9PUZ

Tim N9PUZ

• 24 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
I bought my 6400M last Fall and love it. What I can't understand is why the people who don't like their Flex radios spens SO much time whining about them instead of selling them and buying the Icom/Kenwood/Yaesu/Elecraft they are convinced is better.

Photo of Huskerbobe

Huskerbobe

• 17 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Tim,  First of all I like my Flex when it works.  Flex has the best receiver that I have ever had.  However, I took a big loss selling my 7610 and getting the Flex 6400 and Maestro.  Money I will never get back.  I had NO indication of any type that I would be going through what I have gone through.  And I am obviously not the only one that has had problems.  So, if you would like to send me a nearly new IC-7610 and $1100, I will send you my 6400 & Maestro.  
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1229 Posts
  • 476 Reply Likes
They "whine" about them to make them better. When the K4 comes out the "whining' will stop as the "whiners" will vote with their feet.
Photo of Huskerbobe

Huskerbobe

• 17 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Wow, Burt, Here is a quote from you on a previous thread:
"How long are we required to wait to get what worked in 2.39 to get fixed after it didn't work in 2.49?"
Look who is "whining" there!
Oh, its probably not whining when you are saying it or have a problem!

Burt, I AM NOT WHINING.  Just have had way more problems that I expected with this new rig.  Most people that responded have made suggestions to help me, however you must be a very negative person to make your comment here and on the other thread I quoted above.  In the future please keep you negative comments to yourself.
(Edited)
Photo of Pat N6PAT

Pat N6PAT

• 617 Posts
  • 231 Reply Likes
Selling a rig usually means the seller will incur a significant financial loss from the original purchase price. This may not be easily absorbed by many owners.

Expressing frustration at unexpected problems and issues is not what I would consider "whining" .

Too many contributors to these forums seem to have elevated themselves to the exalted position of Guardian Of The Royal Order Of Flex. They hold constant vigil for any dissension within the ranks. I myself have felt their wrath when I dared to point out several issues.

I've found that the most effective defense against this public dressing down is to completely ignore their comments. It works quite well.

When submitting ideas for improvement it might be a good idea to suggest an ignore button for this forum. It certainly comes in handy on QRZ.
Photo of AB4RW

AB4RW

• 99 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Well, my two cents, and probably no ones cares, BUT! I personally think the title of the post has a lot to draw negative comments, titles such as I wish I had my old rig back, or I hate this rig! I've found that if you just describe the problem and ask for help, someone or many will offer suggestions and help. I understand that we all get frustrated at times with something we aren't familar with and say things that come out wrong! And sometimes it's hard not to take some comments as personal attacks, but that's human nature! All that to say this, stay calm and ignore the sarcastic comments, which I may have said a time or two to some. Enjoy the radio, I hope you get the problem solved and enjoy the radio as much as I enjoy my 6400!
(Edited)
Photo of SteveM

SteveM

• 267 Posts
  • 42 Reply Likes
Dan,

I was actually interested in trading with you. I have an IC-7610 that has been powered-up for only 20 minutes total. However, that was the case until I figured-out you want the full brand-new value from your used equipment. Eek, I guess you were not serious, but only appealing to extremes.
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1229 Posts
  • 476 Reply Likes
Huskerbobe I never said you were whining.
Photo of Huskerbobe

Huskerbobe

• 17 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Dan, I just wanted to be back to where I was before I purchased the Flex.  If I would of known then, what I know now, I would of never made the deal.  Please see my comments about an average LAN system and one that will work with Flex.  Thank-you, Bob
Photo of Huskerbobe

Huskerbobe

• 17 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Dan, I just wanted to be back to where I was before I purchased the Flex.  If I would of known then, what I know now, I would of never made the deal.  Please see my comments about an average LAN system and one that will work with Flex.  Thank-you, Bob
Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1466 Posts
  • 739 Reply Likes

Taken from a post published at my personal blog http://k9zw.wordpress.com 

---

Some takeaways are that FRS does offer exceptional help with stuff (LAN/WAN) that perhaps are in our operating environment but are really not part of the product they sell us.  I feel really good knowing that when one of my systems has a network fault that FRS has my back with their advice, resources and if needed their help.  

If you are involved in a typical office network situation, maybe with some licensed software and a server rack, I'm going to guess you might share my experience of vendors drawing a line at what they sell you, and telling you to have your IT people sort out problems coming from your network hardware/configuration/operating-system/server/failing-gear/overload/rogue-AV/and so on....

One that has caught me out with my FlexRadios is my expectation and assumption that everything stays the same, only to find out that external factors (like incremental software updates in other software/OS/hardware, reboots, or seemingly minor failures elsewhere) were the culprit upsetting my radio experience. 

---

Another takeaway is a personal tolerance for complexity.   We are all not ready and willing if we are ready to deal with the same level of complexity in hobby systems.  

I'll put up with a lot more complexity issues if it is a problem needing solving that affects me economically or if I see it as a challenge while I have enough available time to work it through.

So my personal ROI (Return on Investment) is a mix of actual economics and intellectual/emotive satisfaction.

How that works for each of us is different.

In my own case my personal-ROI on complex HTs is upside down, and unless I am really bored the HTs sit on the shelf.  As for walking through the typical HT 10 to 20 step programming sequences?  I don't think so.  I've given HTs to other hams who love them while my personal-ROI evaluation said "get this nuisance out of my life."  

YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) really applies in a personal tolerance for complexity.  It should and it won't usually stay the same over time or during certain life situations.  

If you are the sort who might buy a radio, or an antenna, or a kit, and then bail on using it because of complexity issues you might want to line up some help before you try a radio-server system like a Flex.  

Steve
K9ZW
Photo of Huskerbobe

Huskerbobe

• 17 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Update:  This morning I first turned on the Flex 6400, when the solid green light came on, I turned on the Maestro.  After going through the wireless connection again(which I usually don't have to do when turning the radio/maestro on) I noticed on the screen it stated "update 3 of 4".  After the updates it turned on and so far, so good, not a single drop out.  Going to take the Maestro and try running remote at a fellow ham's house today.  We will see how that works!  Still running v2.49 after the updates.

Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3683 Posts
  • 891 Reply Likes
Sorry to hear about your radio problems, Un like many radios, Flex radios need good Lan connectivity to work correctly and that can be a challenge at times.

mikeatthebeach .

• 389 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
Try Ethernet instead of WiFi that might help
Photo of Chris Tate  - N6WM

Chris Tate - N6WM, Elmer

• 900 Posts
  • 252 Reply Likes
Strongest recommendation prior to posting discontent in the forum is to initiate a trouble ticket with flex.   Flex has top notch support.  use it.  I have known the support team a long time.. and they are top notch.
Photo of N5LB - Lionel B

N5LB - Lionel B

• 217 Posts
  • 63 Reply Likes
What is the OS in use? I intentionally upgraded to w10x64 1903 and now see far more yellow and red on the SSDR connection indicator. A lot more, and while just receiving. High > 10% packet loss. This is a dedicated shack computer. Also this is direct connected to the computer and the computer thru another port to the WiFi network. I don’t have a maestro. After a minute it gets back to normal, but can return without apparent cause.,

So I wonder about 1903 and some MS concept of a “good idea.” Yeah, probably.

Another bit, this is V2.49 that has been in use since first available, with few connectivity issues. I’ve found RF to be a problem and the solution is to eliminate RF ground loops in the shack. Nothing else made any difference in the RF into the network problem.

Except for pilot error, 2.49 has not crashed.

I’d strip the network to bare essentials and build back the other parts until the problem returns, one change at a time, then test.
Photo of KM6CQ - Dan

KM6CQ - Dan

• 180 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
MS is offering me 1903 and I will wait. Everything is working well right now and I do not want to delegate time to it. I know nothing will go wrong, it always works but they can vet another machine. If I had it on a VM that might be fun.
Photo of Chuck - W9WLX

Chuck - W9WLX

• 8 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I’m running Win10 PRO x64 1903 with 3.0.19 with no change in network health. On my LAN it’s always all green bars, Excellent network diagnostic.

Neal Pollack, N6YFM

• 241 Posts
  • 120 Reply Likes
Yes, but some people have internet providers that are SO bad, the internet speed
does not even rival Morse Code with severe fade....
Photo of Chuck - W9WLX

Chuck - W9WLX

• 8 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Yep! I was referencing what I’m seeing on my LAN. Too many variables to address with WAN connectivity in my high level observation.
Photo of Rocinante

Rocinante

• 26 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
I believe I had what looked like RF issues with my WiFi router when I had the 6400 connected to the router via a short Cat7 cable, which resulted in having the radio pretty close to the router.

On certain frequencies, hitting the Xmit key would knock my computer running SSDR off the WiFi and lock everything up. I already had a 1:1 choke between the radio and the antenna to cut down on RF getting into the shack, but I clearly had a nasty RF-related issue.

When I switched to a 50ft Cat7 cable and moved the radio across the room from the router, this problem was eliminated

Still on my ToDo list at home: connect my 6400 chassis to a quality ground, which should further eliminate the likelihood of RF issues in the shack.

My home shack is simple: 6400, end-fed Ultimax 100 antenna, 50 ft of coax, 1:1 choke, another 12 ft of coax, 50ft of Cat7 cable, a high-end wifi router, and a Mac running SSDR via Parallels with Windows 10.

When I'm on the road I connect my laptop to the WiFi in our Airstream for Internet. Then I put the 6400 on a picnic table outside, and connect the radio directly to my laptop, also outside, via a separate RJ45 connection. The 50ft Cat7 cable sits coiled on the table between the 6400 and my laptop, which might be functioning as some sort of induction coil that helps reduce RF issues between the laptop and the radio. (If so, it's an accidental benefit of how I neatly coiled the excess Ethernet cable on the table between the two devices.) Anyway, this config also works reliably.

So, part of the secret might be to use a longer Ethernet cable between your radio and its endpoint, whether that be a router, a computer, or a Maestro.  Maybe some kind of RF choke on the ethernet cable?  (Full disclosure, I don't have a Maestro, because I'm happy running SSDR on my Mac via Windows.)

mikeatthebeach .

• 416 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
What you say makes Sense
Sometimes on 80meters & 40meters transmitting
Caused RF to get into LAN cable the Radio would
crash!!!!
I got a pair of DX Engineering Ethernet
Filters and that solved the Problem
73 Mike
Photo of Rocinante

Rocinante

• 26 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Thanks, and hey, what a good idea! I'll be ordering a couple of those filters ASAP.

73 Bill K4VM, currently in Acadia National Park
Photo of Douglas Maxwell

Douglas Maxwell

• 149 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
Wow, I have never seen so many elmers, directors and technologists spring to help a user on this forum. Looks like the effect of the upcoming Elecraft k4 has finally kicked flex out their slumber. Well done flex, keep up the good work.
Photo of Huskerbobe

Huskerbobe

• 17 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Update:  After drop outs and a shut down this morning, I plugged the LAN cable direct to the Maestro.  I will see how that works for now.  Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and I will continue to try options to get it back to where it was.
Photo of Huskerbobe

Huskerbobe

• 17 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
It has been working perfect since the LAN cable was connected direct from the 6400 and the Maestro.  Maybe my wireless/LAN system that doesn't like the Flex?
Photo of WW1SS - Steve

WW1SS - Steve

• 751 Posts
  • 256 Reply Likes
It should just work like everything else you have on a lan. It is just an excuse for piss poor Lan operation on Flex’s part. Should not need special lan equipment.

Dan Quigley N7HQ, 4O7HQ

• 10 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
FlexRadio products do not require special LAN equipment - I certainly don't have anything special.  Generally speaking, if you can stream a Netflix movie using your LAN infrastructure without dropouts or stuttering, it is more than adequate.  

Today's Amateurs, even those that do not own a FlexRadio must start considering their LAN as critical infrastructure and deploying tools that can monitor performance, usage and potentially defend the LAN from attacks by bad actors.  

A product I like is Fing (see https://www.fing.com) they have free software that runs on a mobile device, but they also have Fingbox which is hardware and offers more sophisticated security and control. 
(Edited)

• 1343 Posts
  • 284 Reply Likes
I run a version 1 Maestro on the public WiFi at work which is fed with a 100/35 cable modem and Linksys AC3200 router doing the NAT translation and DHCP. We use Enterasys access points and typically have easily over 100 concurrent WiFi connections. Some streaming Roku players or Apple TVs. I do not have any reboot issues on the Maestro.

Something on your network may be chewing up bandwidth, especially if the cameras are recording full time to a home DVR at high def.

See what Dan finds when you talk to him. Tell us about your WiFi network so we can understand what you have and help make more informed suggestions.
Photo of Douglas Maxwell

Douglas Maxwell

• 149 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
Flexradios don’t play well on gigabit Ethernet. I had to downgrade my network to fast Ethernet to get rid of audio pops, clicks, missing imagery and startup problems. My solution was to ditch a Netgear GS105 and buy a Netgear FS105. My old network worked fine for Netflix, Apple TV, etc, no problems whatsoever.
Photo of Rocinante

Rocinante

• 24 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I'd suggest that no wifi router likes RFI coming in via Ethernet cables, and that as an empirical experiment it's worth adding filters / chokes to all cables entering / leaving the router.
Photo of WW1SS - Steve

WW1SS - Steve

• 755 Posts
  • 259 Reply Likes
When will flex have this

Transmit signal analyzer
(Edited)
Photo of Charlie Wirth

Charlie Wirth

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Steve good thing you didn’t sell your MB-1 like you were planning to do.
Photo of WW1SS - Steve

WW1SS - Steve

• 755 Posts
  • 259 Reply Likes
I know ha I get these brain farts. Moved some stuff around in RV and its working better than the Flex did in the RV
(Edited)
Photo of Charlie Wirth

Charlie Wirth

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I know what you mean. Had the same thing when I almost bought the MB-1 but then realized that the Flex 6400 was better.
Photo of WW1SS - Steve

WW1SS - Steve

• 755 Posts
  • 259 Reply Likes
Theyre all good till they break.
Photo of Bob- W5TX

Bob- W5TX

• 112 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Do you only have the issue if you transmit? What happens if you just receive and mess around — change bands etc. if all is well when you don’t xmit the issue is rf incursion, and you, need to address that issue rather than worry about Flex LAN capabilities. Are you using an amp? Very little of the LAN hardware has any rf protection including most routers. I am on FIOS fiber isp and I discovered that when I operated at high power on 160-40 I shut down my internet completely. It was caused by the power supply for the fiber entrance device shutting down when in presence of high rf field. ISP was unable to fix! I bought a separate power supply and no more issue.
Lots of opportunities for system issues. Dropping a few bits on the radio data system is a lot different than same issue on streaming video etc. Keep trying some suggested fixes and let us know when you find the problem. Remember that like most system type problems there are lots of players involved - PC, Microsoft, ISP, modem supplier, Flex and your particular installation. I guess if the pursuit of a solution annoys you then another path may be the answer to your particular situation. Good luck in whatever direction you pursue. Bob
Photo of Huskerbobe

Huskerbobe

• 17 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
This happens before I even think about transmitting.  A few times everything seemed normal and I could not get it to transmit.  No, this is not a transmit issue, happens when I receive all the time.  Thanks, Bob
Photo of Rocinante

Rocinante

• 26 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Ok great question, interesting answer. I only had issues when I tried to transmit. Hmm...
Photo of David Warnberg

David Warnberg

• 683 Posts
  • 87 Reply Likes
Are you asking for help?  Someone to convince you to keep it? What?  Not sure I understand your post either...  

More info could help us in helping you.. such as is it a wired or wireless connection that seems to have the issue or both?  What is the packet rate, network, latency, etc???   Is it just a meastro issue?  Do you have the same issue working from a PC (SmartSDR on PC)?

Good Luck with whatever you decide