KF4HR

• 759 Posts
  • 259 Reply Likes
Did we pass?
Photo of Steve Jones

Steve Jones

• 104 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
What am i missing? A 6600 with a 6600m label Photoshop'd onto it?

Like many other 6000 series owners waiting for features and a fix to the dax corruption and random crash issues, my sense of humour has been left behind with the roadmaps.

Am spending my summer building some new lf antennas for the next contest season and researching the option of switching to two ic7300 radios for so2r, as I dont see a 6600 getting into the uk before cqww this year.
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1120 Posts
  • 239 Reply Likes
I assume its a real decal and not photoshop. The latest photos Flex added to this site show a 6600m label on a non M radio.   Either it was a mistake or they did not figure we would notice :)
Photo of Jaap PA5JD

Jaap PA5JD

• 12 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
the M is on the official flex site at the 6400 as well , no Photoshop at all LOL
Photo of Gerald - K5SDR

Gerald - K5SDR, Employee

• 830 Posts
  • 1514 Reply Likes
Rich, that was a mistake with the label.  That is not an "M" model.  We have told everyone that the non-M models will trail in delivery because of plastic tooling lead time for that version.  The M models will ship first because tooling is complete and plastics are in stock.  Our demos at shows are all of M models.
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1120 Posts
  • 239 Reply Likes
No worries Gerald. Was just having fun with you guys :)
Photo of WV9L

WV9L

• 102 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
But V2.0 is gonna be here tommorow, so all is good.
Photo of G8ZPX

G8ZPX

• 197 Posts
  • 110 Reply Likes
so like a magic bullet v2 is going to set all the other problems right, and all the missing features will just appear overnight?
Photo of WV9L

WV9L

• 102 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
It was a heavy level of sarcasim. I think they meant June 2018 this time. They have been making empty promises of dates for a long time now. Anyone wanna place a few wagers? Wanna bet that all those that ordered 6400 and 6600 radios are still waiting in Sept & October? Anyone want to bet that within 3-4 more posts, Tim closes this thread? That seems to be a pretty common pattern the past few days. I dont know, maybe i shouldnt be so pesimistic. After all, they have a few more hours before June ends.
Would like to see the features still not working in V1 get fixed.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9186 Posts
  • 3541 Reply Likes
On several posts, you have made this claim of promises broken. Please provide proof where we have actually promised something on a particular date recently.  I'd like to see it.
Photo of WV9L

WV9L

• 102 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Well i was told when i bought my 6500, by the salesman, that v2.0 would be out before end of first quarter. That came and went. I guess my mistake was not asking which year. Then, you guys have posted all over here, your site, Dayton, etc that the it would be June. I guess the days not over yet, but......

My point is that we all want a solid software release, and not some flaky mess. But, quit passing dates (published, spoken, emailed, etc) that you guys cant make good on. Just as an example....Apple will say in Fall of this year. They dont say Sept or Sept 11th, etc.
Photo of WV9L

WV9L

• 102 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Im not the only Flex owner that feels this way. Im sure that this thread will get closed here soon, but please take this into concideration when throwing dates out. Its only gonna hurt the company and potential sales, by both new and existing customers. Then we all lose.
Photo of David Livingston

David Livingston

• 122 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
I have been told shortly so many times it is starting to become impossible to believe anything that comes from Flex.  Tim, Three day ago you ended a thread and indicated there would be an announcement shortly.  How long is shortly???
Photo of WV9L

WV9L

• 102 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Photo of WV9L

WV9L

• 102 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
That was published May 12th, and put on your site.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9186 Posts
  • 3541 Reply Likes
Yes, it certainly says "coming June 2017".  And in May that was a truthful statement.  BTW, SmartLink is ready now.  It is a few other things in SmartSDR that have resulted in the delay.

I'll address your concerns with our marketing team.
Photo of Walt

Walt

• 236 Posts
  • 75 Reply Likes
My example is I purchased my 6500 three years ago after checking the hardware manual and finding Pin 4 of the Accessory Connector labeled FSK ( I am a RTTY - FSK guy) - that was in Vers. 1 of the hardware book, and has remained so - so I got the radio, thinking sometime in Vers. 1 - I will see that pin being used for FSK. 

I think Flex documented this feature by it being printed in the manual.

And so will wait when Ver. 1 is final and see if the feature is delivered, or the manual changes so there is no longer any reference to it and I just move on.

And please don't tell me about AFSK - that's not the point of this post.

Hanging in there . . .

Photo of GI4FZD

GI4FZD

• 129 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
Wanna bet?
Photo of Steve Jones

Steve Jones

• 104 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
I am sure v 2.0 will be good for those wanting/needing wan. I have little interest in wan access at present so my waiting will be a bit longer for the next 1.10.xx maintenance release. In the meantime i have held back on buying a 6700/6600 or ordering a power genius. My antenna genius will work equally well with two ic7300 or ft5k and my current 6300 so i can make a final investment decision on radios in september after the antenna building, and likewise the amp decision. Looking forward to hearing people's experiences with 2.0 wan, the early 6600m models, and the first power genius production versions. Returning to my previous strategy of not being an early adopter = less disappointment :-)
73 Steve gw0gei / gw9j
Photo of G8ZPX

G8ZPX

• 197 Posts
  • 110 Reply Likes
dito
Photo of Walt

Walt

• 236 Posts
  • 75 Reply Likes
Double ditto - I have waited 3 years already for stability in Ver. 1 - nervous about the Sherwood numbers dropping again with next release.

And please do not send me emails telling me how worthless the Sherwood numbers are - too many people were bragging about how Flex was 'top dog' when the numbers were good.  The 'every new software release gives you a new radio' concept may have hidden dragons. 

Cheers
Photo of Gerald - K5SDR

Gerald - K5SDR, Employee

• 830 Posts
  • 1514 Reply Likes
Walt,

I have done a half dozen public presentations on the topic, "Grocking Receiver Performance" where I show a slide of Sherwood's site with the FLEX-6700 at the top. Then I tell everyone that I am going to say this while we are still at the top of the chart. I then said, "This chart is a bunch of bunk." Anything much above about 85 dB according to Sherwood himself is not that meaningful to most hams except for bragging rights. It also falls prey to the laws of finite optimization and diminishing returns. It's a lab game. One you will never realize in the real world. Anything in the 100 dB range - forget it. Find something else to brag about. Or better yet, find a hobby. ;>)

Gerald
Photo of EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

• 1780 Posts
  • 547 Reply Likes
Within my limited experience, I agree 100% with this. When I upgraded from the 6300 to the 6700 I tried them side by side and the differences where not that noticeable. It was the extra features that made the 6700 (2 SCU) more appealing. 

While I might have your attention Gerald, I would love some focus on the WORK FLOW. Not necessary a priority for many but it is one for me.
I find the Flex radios exceptional, but the workflow gets a bit tedious at times. Going to submenus to turn binaural on and off, or to find that state of the TX1, TX2, etc... or to turn on the PreAmp on the 2M DEMI amp is a bit cumbersome. It would be great if these things could find a spot on the main screen so they are one click away!

Thanks for listening to your customers.
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1120 Posts
  • 239 Reply Likes
"I find the Flex radios exceptional, but the workflow gets a bit tedious at times. Going to submenus to turn binaural on and off, or to find that state of the TX1, TX2, etc... or to turn on the PreAmp on the 2M DEMI amp is a bit cumbersome. "

I would have to agree with you on this.  I am more of a rag chewer than anything and the menus and buttons are out of priority for me. Not a big deal but the left panel does not work for me.  
Photo of Peter K1PGV

Peter K1PGV, Elmer

• 544 Posts
  • 321 Reply Likes
I'll agree with this. The overall *look* is cute, but the ergos -- actually using the controls on a day to day basis to play radio -- leave a lot to be desired, IMHO.

Peter
K1PGV
Photo of Gerald - K5SDR

Gerald - K5SDR, Employee

• 830 Posts
  • 1514 Reply Likes
Salvador, listening but no date commitments.  ;>)
Gerald

• 1780 Posts
  • 547 Reply Likes
Noted. Thanks.
Photo of Rick Hadley - W0FG

Rick Hadley - W0FG

• 599 Posts
  • 130 Reply Likes
I'm impatient, like everyone else, but here's my guess at what's going on; something I haven't seen mentioned before.  The most important DXpedition of the decade, Bouvet Island, is coming up and Flex is a major corporate sponsor. All of the gear in use will be Flex/4O3A The deadline for loading the equipment for transit is fast approaching.  If all goes well, this will be a YUGE marketing tool for Flex.  My guess is that they are tuning this first release of 2.0 to meet the needs of the DXpedition and to make sure it's fully stable, as doing software patches would be nearly impossible once the gear is loaded.  I have no inside knowledge, but knowing a couple of the guys who will be on the trip, my spidey sense suggests this may be part of the whole process.

• 1780 Posts
  • 547 Reply Likes
Chasing the next new thing instead of answering the needs of the loyal customer base is a bad practice. I don't think FRS would be delaying 2.0 or fixing the crashing issue based on a DXpedition. WAN is definitely not needed in a DXpedition and a reliable version is a must, so I am inclined to think they would be using 1.9 or 1.8, or maybe one that fixes the issue found by Sherwood. Not necessarily 2.0 which is a clear candidate for bugs. On the other hand you might be 100% correct Rick.
Photo of Gerald - K5SDR

Gerald - K5SDR, Employee

• 830 Posts
  • 1514 Reply Likes
Rick,

Yes, Bouvet is YUGE but there is no unique work in v2 for Bouvet. They will also be able to upgrade the equipment at any time just as you can with new releases. The equipment will be staged for shipment in September but it is likely they will actually run a newer version when they land on the island next year. Several Flex owners are on the team. The first two production Maestros went to Palmyra and were upgraded on site in the middle of the Pacific.

The vast majority of the effort in this release was the development and testing of SmartLink. Making complex things simple is hard work. I am sitting at Chipotle having lunch and could work Bouvet on the iPad I am typing on if they were on now - propagation permitting.

Gerald

• 1780 Posts
  • 547 Reply Likes
I guess they have great internet access in Bouvet ;)
Actually you probably meant from the ipad at Chipotle connected to you home station!
(Edited)
Photo of Gerald - K5SDR

Gerald - K5SDR, Employee

• 830 Posts
  • 1514 Reply Likes
They will have Internet access on Bouvet and aboard ship on the way.

Yes, I mean I can operate my home station from Chipotle.  I will probably operate my station from Friedrichshafen, Germany in about 10 days.

• 1780 Posts
  • 547 Reply Likes
Might see you guys there at Friedrichshafen.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3799 Posts
  • 918 Reply Likes
It is sad that some peoples lives are so upset if a release is a little late. I mentioned in another post that their are some waiting for any chance to criticise Flex over anything,,and dates are the easy ones to use.
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1120 Posts
  • 239 Reply Likes
I agree.

Not arguing anyone's personal experience  but have to say my experience over the last couple years has been stellar.  My radio is rock solid in my application and looking forward to my 3rd 6000 series radio.

The only complaint I have is when I used to buy Icom, Yaesu, Kenwood and TenTec they always used to listen to my ideas and a couple times even implemented them.  Oh wait... that was Flex. Nevermind.

Kd0zv