Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

I TAKE IT ALL BACK re fed up waiting

after all my problems with noise finally found out why,on wensday I was having a clearout of my shack and had a few boxes to put in my root space,on getting into the roofspace I noticed a control panel that the local concile fitted about the same time as I got my flex,anyway the control panel was for solar panels that the concile had fitted to our old peoples bungalow I noticed a on/off switch on this control panel so I turned it off I turned on my yeasu radio and low and behold the noise hand gone down,so I unpacked my flex and turned it on what a diffence,so I turn on the said control panel and rang my local concile they could not help as the solar panels were fitted by a third party but they said they would get them to ring me,2 hours later I had a call from them and spoke with a gentleman there and explained the problems I had been having,he arrange for someone to come and investigate,true to there word they came and had a look at the problem,I was informed the the inverter or something that was fitted to my solar panels was up to eu standards but in some cases this caused problems,he went away and 1 hour later returned with a new unit that was fitted,o joy are problems solved,he did say something about a sinwave that was causing the problem a bit highbrow for me but I donnt care now I have a great flex 6500 that works great.tony m6dyr(uk) p.s. anybody want to buy a yaesu ftdx9000mp lol

Comments

• Patrick Greenlee
    edited October 2015
    Congratulations, Tony.  Don't you just love it when a plan comes together?  Just curious... What do you do for antennas in your "hive" location?  Oh, and no thanks RE the Yaesu as I am doing fabulously with my Flex 5000A.

Patrick        NJ5G
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Congratulations!
  • John
    John Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    good news all round it seems. One never knows what gadgets we have in our homes causing a lot of problems. Everyone is out to save a buck or three and are cutting corners where ever they can and no-one gives a hoot The EU mark means nothing these days.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    The EU mark is falsified the same way brands are falsify. Most of these electronics come from lower quality chinese manufacturers which don´t follow the same stricter quality controls some of their counterparts do (apple´s for example) also out of China.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I am glad you found the source of the noise Tony. I just would like to take advantage of this happening and point out that 90% of the time, problems, are human created and not directly the fault of the machinery we use. It is very common, though, to blame the machine without doing the due diligence and checking every possible thing. I see a lot of that happening in the forum and we directly blame the software and/or the flex equipment without doing what Tony did and try to investigate till we find the reason. 
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    There are two types of inverters used with solar panels 1. Modified Sine Wave (MSW) which use a chopper circuit to convert DC to AC. These are inexpensive to produce but usually do met EU and FCC standards. However these can be extremely noisy at RF frequencies 2. Pure Sine Wave. (PSW). Which as their name implies produce clean power. PSW inverters are much more expensive than MSW. The installers were obviously try to save money and in most cases can get away with it
  • Tony Hateley
    Tony Hateley Member
    edited June 2020
    Well it was done with no charge to me but maybe the local concile will be charged
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Even better!
  • John M
    John M Member
    edited October 2015
    Just to add to Howard's comment, this type of problem could also be caused by using cheaper Uninterruptible Power Supplies (power conditioning equipment) which many of us connect to our computer systems.  These cheaper units typically use Modified Sine Wave outputs which have multiple minute square wave elements within the AC output waveform.  The fast rise and fall time of those elements causes harmonics much like switching power supplies and a horrendous amount of RF noise. 
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I might add Most inexpensive switching power supplies use MSW which is why they can be a major source of noise. Whereas the more expensive tranformer supplies are PSW and quiet.
  • Tony Hateley
    Tony Hateley Member
    edited October 2015

my antenna is a duel beam pro made by pro antennas,please visit there site at www.proantennas.co.uk tony

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.