Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

I need SO2R with the option of in-band SO2R

EA8DIG
EA8DIG Member ✭✭
Hi,

I have a Sun SDR2 Pro transceiver and it cannot work full duplex, so I cannot use alternating CQs during the contests, cross band. I also want to be able to work SO2R in-band, that is, CQing on, say, 20m and picking up mults on 20m, too. And I need the legal limit amplifier with BPFs.

I had previously had 2 x IC-7700 with lost of other boxes, antenna swiches and so on, which was a nightmare to set up and keep in order.

Can you suggest the right set up for me ?

Thanks.

Anton, ED8M

Answers

• W5AP
    W5AP Member
    edited December 2019
    I have a 6600M which does SO2R from one box.  Two different bands.  Along with the PGXL amp and Antenna Genius antenna switch.  Works and the setup requires just a internet CAT cable between devices.  So the wiring is simplistic.  The setup requires some study, and there are guides on Flex's support on how to enable this.  You may also be able to do that with a 6600 or even a 6400 - with two slices (receivers) instead of 4 on the 6600 series. Standby for more comments from others.  73, Jim
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    He is asking how to use a Sun SDR radio on the Flex community?
  • Dawg Fan
    Dawg Fan Member
    edited December 2019
    NO, he wants to know what flex would suit his operating requirements.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Yes your right,, so I would say a 6600M if he still wants a stand alone radio. It will do everything he wants and things he never thought of yet..lol
  • EA8DIG
    EA8DIG Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Excellent, thank you for your reassurance, OMs.

Now, how about the in-band option with a single Flex 6600 ? Is thos possible or do I need 2 x 6600 ?

Also, which 6600 you recommend - the 6600 or the M version ?

Gracias

ED8M
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I am not sure if you understand the power of a 6600 Flex. Everything your asking about is possible on the 6600 because it has two SCU, were you can have two separate antennas connect, each using an SCU. This also allows for transmitting and listening at the same time. And with the Multi Flex feature you can set as two separate radios with their own receivers. Each radio can have two panadapters. Or having a Meastro along side logged into the 6600 used as the second radio. All done with one 6600 radio.

If your going to use SO2R a lot you should have an amp with very fast band switching because the Flex is almost instant switching between bands. An SO2R amp.

If you like a stand alone radio all complete in one box then the M model is what you want. Otherwise an 6600 with a computer to run the SSDR software. What some do is get a 6600 and a Meastro that allows you to roam around remotely.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Another thought, in band SO2R? transmitting on a frequency while listening around on the same band? That is just a standard operation on the Flex. You simply open up a new slice on the band. So one TX and the other listing, then just click to change between them and your TX follows.
  • John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    A 6400 will provide 2 separate "receivers" either in the same band or 2 bands. A 6600 will allow up to four, and a 6700 up to eight. In addition, if you want to expand beyond SO2R, using SDR v3 and multiflex and a 6700 with two transmitters, one operator can run stations and another can SnP with the same radio,either at your location, or the second op can be at a remote location like their own home. One can use PC based smartsdr, or Maestro, or Ipad, and the other op can also use  the control device of their choice. There is a nearby thread on which Flex to choose.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I hope others can chime in here, because no one was answering him I tried to give a basics answer. but because the Flex is so powerful one could write for hours on this information.

What I suggest is for tho op to read and do home work on the radios, then ask what he has trouble understanding, it would  save us a lot of writing..lol
  • Dudley  WA5QPZ
    Dudley WA5QPZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Anton,

Yes the 6600 can listen on the same band in full duplex,   BUT,  you must be careful of the strength of the transmitter to the receiver by antenna placement,   strength greater than +7 DBM can cause signal distortions and greater than 15 DBM can cause the auto protection to disconnect the SCU from the antenna to help prevent damage..   Besides,  I don't think that most of the contesting SW like N1MM,   will allow same band SO2R . Just be very careful of antenna placements ,  large antenna separation will help greatly ..  

Dudley
  • EA8DIG
    EA8DIG Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Excellent, thank you for a clear answer.

I think I have seen the in-band option in N1MM.

In any case I have used Win-Test and others for the in-band QSOs.

73 !
  • rhoydec 4i1LCP
    rhoydec 4i1LCP Member
    edited January 2021
    Can a Flex 6400 be operated on SO2R?

I'll be happy enough to perform Run on one band and S&P on another band.
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭

You mentioned the 6400 on two bands - That is possible PROVIDING they use the same antenna; because it only has one SCU (Capture unit) so only ONE antenna can be used at a time. The 6600 and 6700 have two so each band may have its own antenna.

The 6400 example is: you may have a multi-band antenna with a single feed (e.g. 20/15/10 tri-bander) and have two receivers active (on the same capture unit / antenna connection) but on different or the same band (your two SO2R setups). NOTE: No Flex will permit you to transmit concurrently and the 6400 will be in "wide" mode, that is NO band pass filters engaged. The 6600 on two antennae has band pass filters on each antenna

As previously said - There is a lot in those boxes and it takes time for it all to sink in.

Also previously said - With two antennae active (6600 or 6700) they MUST be well separated if on the SAME band. I have done it but the risk is very high on a small antenna farm or field day.

TMI? - Drinking from a fire-hose OFF.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

@rhoydec 4i1LCP

Simply put, yes, but you will have to share the same antenna. You will be muted on the other band while in CQ on your RUN frequency.

You set this up in N1MM as an SO2R radio. I am not sure how WinTest would be setup.

73, Mike va3mw

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.