Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

I killed my FLEX-1500

Frank DK7NC
Frank DK7NC Member ✭✭
In an act of utter lunacy I have briefly and accidently connected the antenna input of my Flex-1500 to my shack's 13.8V power source.

As you can imagine the device is now operating outside of its normal parameters.

I can still connect through PowerSDR, can switch bands, go into transmit mode but there are no signals to be seen. (Which is more than I expected).
From within PowerSDR I brought up the "production test screen" by pressing Control-Shift-P as indicated in the Service Manual.

The results are shown in the attached screenshot.

The attenuator seems to be OK. Some of the filter tests passed OK but the rest is RED. The 1500 has been my first HF TRX and I have grown to like it a lot even though I have a 6400 on order.

Is there any hope of getting the device back to normal without spending more than I paid for it? Any advice anyone?

Thanks,
Frank DK7NC

Answers

• John
    John Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    send it back to Flex Radio Germany and let the experts fix it is the best advice, unless you know what you are doing with sm technology. It will probably need re-calibration after the repairs anyway.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    At the cost for repair and shipping? I would just look for another one, and they are not expensive. They can not be calibrated in the field anyways.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Sorry to hear of your recent mishap. I would definitely suggest opening a help desk ticket and get an opinion as to whether or not it should be fixed or replaced. It may be hard to tell, even from your brief test results. Ken - NM9P
  • Steve G1XOW
    Steve G1XOW Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Frank, send it to Norbert for diagnostics. He is also in Germany. Norbert is a wizz with this stuff, and I very much recommend his input - great guy. DHL shipping is not expensive either.

• Frank DK7NC
    Frank DK7NC Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Steven, Norbert who?
  • Steve G1XOW
    Steve G1XOW Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020

Norbert Wrede - DC6UW

FlexRadio Service Center EU

Habyer Strasse 22

D-24361 Gross Wittensee

- Germany -

Phone : +49 (0) 4356-1625

• Frank DK7NC
    Frank DK7NC Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Alright Steven. Brilliant. Thank you. I will give him a call to see what he thinks. Everyone else who responded: Thanks for your assessment of the situation.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.