Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

I have heard bit and pieces of V3

James Kennedy-WU5E
James Kennedy-WU5E Member ✭✭
I have heard that V3 will have remote operators to log on too my radio and operate it from a remote log on it. So i will to talk some of my friends that loves contesting but the money to build a good station. So now thinking of rules and regs I need to build for my contest station a little better.
Your thoughts

Jim
WU5E

Answers

• Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Jim,

The new version 3 multiFlex software is perfect for your described scenario. You effectively can have two operators at the same or separate locations operating the same radio (only one can transmit at a time but all the slices and antenna ports can be shared as desired.) 

Normal FCC rules apply for this type operation. 
    Here is an example of contest rules (CQ Worldwide DX Contest)

C. Multi-Operator Categories (all-band operation only): Any number of operators is allowed. QSO finding assistance is allowed. Only one transmitted signal per band is permitted at any time.

1. Single Transmitter (MULTI-ONE): Only one transmitted signal on one band permitted during any 10-minute period (run station/signal). Exception: One — and only one — other transmitted signal (multiplier station/signal) may be used during any 10-minute period, if — and only if — it is on a different band from the run transmitter and the station worked is a new multiplier. The run and multiplier transmitters are governed by independent 10-minute rules. Ten-minute periods begin with the first QSO on a band. The log must indicate which station/signal (run or multiplier) made each QSO. The multiplier station/signal may not call CQ (solicit contacts). Please be sure to read the Multi-Single FAQ section at <cqww.com/rules_faq.htm>.

a. High Power: Total output power must not exceed 1500 watts on any band at any time.

b. Low Power: Total output power must not exceed 100 watts on any band at any time.

I'll be pleased to answer other questions about station configuration and hardware once you have a rough idea of the desired station capabilities. BTW, the PowerGenius XL is a perfect companion for this scenario.

Mack
    W4AX
    Alpha Team
  • James Kennedy-WU5E
    James Kennedy-WU5E Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Thanks Mack, I was thinking like this. I do 1st shift on the contest, my friend John does second shift from his home ( remote) and Tom does the over night shift from his home. One Radio , three operators! I run fans and keep every thing cool hi hi

• Jimmy Collis
    Jimmy Collis Member
    edited January 2019
    What's the point of having 2 operators on same radio and only one can transmit dont understand
  • Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    If you read the definition of a multi single operation that is exactly what it is. Both can share the transmitter but only one can Key the radio at a time .One operator can be running on a frequency while the other does search and pounce for multipliers on multiple bands.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    jimmy, this becomes a very cost effective and less complicated setup. Instead of two different radios with many connections needed, two people can operate one radio. Now if you connect that one radio to a PGXL amp that switches back and forth, you now have two radios using one amp. There is not anyone doing that nor can they.

As one person is looking to pounce on a contact, the other would transmit, switching between them.
  • Laurens PD9X
    Laurens PD9X Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    It would be very nice if the fix the DAX problem, for using N1MM voice keying and SSB audio at the same time using remote...
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    James, that is since V2 possible if . SSDR V2 use Smartlink !
    Every Ham friend, you have given your Smartlink Login, can connect your F6. You can share your station since V2 with every worldwide !
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    As long as I've been around contesting, this seems like maximal frustration to me. If a person locks another out of a QSO, that is points lost. As well, how on earth can a person run on a frequency? If the runner allows the other to make some S&P QSOs, he'll lose his spot to someone else. And two operators running frequencies is impossible.

Multi-single is best approached as shift work, not this sort of thing. At least IMHO.
  • mikeatthebeach .
    mikeatthebeach . Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Mike Agree, waiting usually you loose the contact Or control of the frequency and if the Search and Pounce operator stalls the Main operator it is Not ideal Just my 2 cents
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Mack, sorry ! You have never worked MS !
    For MS you need 2x TRX + 2x Ant + 2x PA = 2 separate stations [2 TX at same time]

What you wrote is SO2R [only 1 TX at one time]
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Flex said that a v2.5 is coming to address outstanding issues. As well as the v3 release.
  • mikeatthebeach .
    edited January 2019
    Like to see K9CT contest Station do this Bet he would rather have two independent Stations rather than this
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I bet they will jump all over this, this is the same as two radios.
    This has been tested bye many of these contesters already....
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    How man you bet ? :-)
  • mikeatthebeach .
    edited January 2019
    Not the same as two independent radio’s Can not both transmit at the same time
  • Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Version 3 is far more than just contesting.

Use cases that I have personally used:

1. Multi-single contesting as I described in my post above. This is a very valid and widely used contest mode. If you're a contester you've worked many teams using this mode. It's about skill.

2. The ability to share a slice(s) with another user while on a nationwide net. I talk with friends from TX, MN, IL, MS, GA, and TN every morning. By sharing slices among us we can hear what the other station is hearing without having to use one of the WebSDR resources. 

3. I can be operating casually on 40M and one or more of my friends (each singly at a time) can connect to my radio and use my antenna farm and PGXL amp. Often my QTH can hear things that their antennas can't. For example, right now I'm using my 6700 and working satellites. The 6600 is connected and sitting idle. One of my friends could log in and make a contact. 

There are many other possibilities waiting to be discovered. This is groundbreaking technology and the visionary hams will find many new uses.

Yes, a version 2.5 is planned and will be lingering bug fixes. There will not charge for this version if you have already purchased version 2. 

Mack
    W4AX
    Alpha Team
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Mack, I am talking this morning with a group I talk to every morning on 7.192. I am working on a guy to get V3 so I could log onto his 6600 and listen to those I can't hear today. Could you imagine that...amazing.
  • Steve
    Steve Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Hopefully there will be a version to fix issues with V2, we shall see.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Steve, again,,Flex has announced a 2.5 update soon for this reason. They did the same when moving from v1 too v2.
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    If one is not a contester and has no ham friends that would find multiflex useful than 3.0 is useless?
  • Gene - K3GC
    Gene - K3GC Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Burt,
    That is exactly the same conclusion I have reached.  99% of my activity  is  DX. It might be fun to play with for a while but with my operating style I will be hard pressed to see $200 value in V3.
  • AC9S
    AC9S Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I intend to use the Maestro as my primary control and PSDR as a second BIG window on other bands while I am DXing.  I can do this now with the Maestro, but frankly splitting the already small screen doesn't appeal to me and I find PSDR a little awkward with the mouse interface.  I am looking forward to V3 for my everyday activity.  I had hoped that the clients could be interleaved on a single slice, but the way V3 is announced will be a big improvement to me anyway.

Keith - AC9S
  • SteveM
    SteveM Member
    edited January 2019
    This has been around for many years: http://www.websdr.org/. It's free.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    No it has not,,this is much different, no other radio can do this nor can they. We can now connect to our radios at home as an example with two other devices. At the same time. This is a ham radio break through.
  • Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    SDRConsole will let me to connect to other SDR radio all over the world. I listen bunch of station in EU, I cannot TX. All FREE !
    KN7K
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Yes, Flex has had remote as well, But not like this. Can you have two stations connect to your radio with SDR console? And transmit?
  • mikeatthebeach .
    edited January 2019
    You can get CatSync Web SDR and it already Syncs to any FlexRadio already to any Receiver In the world You tune your local radio It tunes the SDR radio automatically
  • SteveM
    SteveM Member
    edited January 2019
    "a ham radio break through"

Heh, you love you some hype.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.