I have an IPad I I in excellent condition, can it be used for SSDR to operate my 6300??

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
Photo of N0ARX

N0ARX

• 13 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Arnie

Arnie

• 108 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Sure. Works great. You will need to purchase the IOS app. Just go to the apple store and search for SmartSDR for IOS.
Enjoy...73 de Arnie
Photo of George Molnar, KF2T

George Molnar, KF2T, Elmer

• 1678 Posts
  • 614 Reply Likes
I don't think so - 1st generation iPad may not have the horsepower and the app requires iOS 9.5 or better, which I think isn't possible on that model.

If it does work let us know - the price on the older model is no doubt less expensive, and it might be a great idea for a dedicated SSDR unit.
Photo of WX7Y

WX7Y

• 797 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
mine works almost as well as my new IPAD air
bret
WX7Y
Photo of Joe  N9VX

Joe N9VX

• 41 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Bret does your old iPad work almost as well on SmartSDR for IOS, or other applications?

Joe  N9VX
Photo of WX7Y

WX7Y

• 797 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Yes, I thought that's what this thread was about, SmartSDR for IOS to run the FLEX 6300 as in the message description.  
Sorry for the confusion.
73's
Bret WX7Y
Photo of hans weijers

hans weijers

• 31 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
My old Ipad 2 works fine with the Flex6300. Just fine tune some settings in the software in order to reduce the CPU power needed for well streaming audio and video.
73, Hans - PA0HWB
Photo of Mark Erbaugh

Mark Erbaugh

• 516 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
I have a first generation iPad. It can't be updated beyond iOS 5.1. SmartSDR requires iOS 9.0.3. How are you able to load SmartSDR?
Photo of AA0KM

AA0KM

• 356 Posts
  • 65 Reply Likes
Official Response

There seems to be some confusion.

From the manual of Smartsdr for IOS:

"You need at least an iPhone 5s or an iPad 3 or better (e.g. iPad Air 2 or Pro) and it needs to run iOS 9 or the upcoming iOS Version 10. If you have an old iPhone or iPad, I suggest to try the free Demo mode first, before buying."

Ipad 2=2011-model and Ipad Air 2= 2014-model  not the same.

To identify you model>

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201471

Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2314 Posts
  • 956 Reply Likes
I have had nothing but problems with my old iPad 3rd gen (the one simply called "iPad" that is not the 1st release, and it has the 30 pin connector. 64GB Verizon.). It would stutter a lot. I guess I could slow things down but what's the point of that. 
(Edited)
Photo of Mike  W1BFA in Maine

Mike W1BFA in Maine

• 120 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
I have a WIFI only 64G Ipad II running 9.0 and it will run the SSDR App but can be a little sketchy at times.  Too nice an app to struggle so this one is going to the grandkids and going to a Pro.  Love the app and it's great as a control surface here on the desk by the PC.  I'm anxiously awaiting being able to do that with the Maestro.   Mike