I have an Ameritron al-811 amplifier that I'd like to hook up to my 6300.

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
I have an Ameritron al-811 amplifier that I'd like to hook up to my 6300. If I use a rig buffer like an ARB-704, do I need a special plug and play cable?  Do I need a rig buffer? Etc.  Thanks.
Photo of PB Shell - k7shl

PB Shell - k7shl

• 13 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9148 Posts
  • 3466 Reply Likes
No special cables needed.  The ARB-704 is not required, but a keying buffer is recommended as a best practice to protect the 6000 keying interface from voltage transients that may damage it.
Photo of YV5WZ

YV5WZ

• 382 Posts
  • 47 Reply Likes
I have ameritron 811.....I used to use a Heil FS-2 Foot switch.....and it worked good....thats alll you need...however I thought my Flex needs something more advanced ....and I got an Elecraft KPA500.....Now its seems I have a Flex 6300 with 500 watts 

George

YV5WZ
Photo of PB Shell - k7shl

PB Shell - k7shl

• 13 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
George,
What kind of cable did you use with the Heil FS-2?  Do I need a microphone cable assembly (like the CC-1Y) or ??
Thanks.
-Phil, K7SHL
Photo of YV5WZ

YV5WZ

• 382 Posts
  • 47 Reply Likes
I don't Recall at this moment...but I will check tonight and letting you to know
Photo of Bob  KN4HH

Bob KN4HH

• 91 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
If you like the Rube Goldberg (if you remember that, I know how old you are) approach, I used a Radio Shack 5vdc relay and borrowed 5vdc from the accessory connector on the back of the Flex.  I keyed the relay with the TX1 contacts and key my amplifier with the SPST contacts of the relay.
Photo of Chris Tate  - N6WM

Chris Tate - N6WM, Elmer

• 808 Posts
  • 217 Reply Likes
I use an ARB-704 and it works fine
Photo of James - K4JK

James - K4JK

• 14 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Remember to use TX delay when using an amp with a slow relay like an 811.