I decided to upgrade from the PR781 to the RE27 .

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
EV RE27N/D DYNAMIC CARDIOD MIC. I decided to up grade from the PR781 to the RE27 . I still had a few to many say the audio on my 6300 was not as good as it could be and blamed the PR781. Will see how I make out with the new Mic. Any thoughts??
Photo of Don Stefanik

Don Stefanik

• 89 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of KF4HR

KF4HR

• 545 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
I'm using a EV RE27N/D on my 6700.  I've gotten excellent reports on my audio.  I suggest reviewing NM9P's adjustment video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LytzQGpE5ZM 
Photo of Don Stefanik

Don Stefanik

• 89 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes

I received the RE27ND today and have played with the EQ for a little bit. Me thinks it sounds better but will wait till I can talk to some of my friends tonight. Wish there was one of the 6300 guys I could talk too and get an audio report. 

VA3KBC

Photo of Don Stefanik

Don Stefanik

• 89 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
CHARLES...WHAT ARE YOUR EQ SETTINGS. I HAVE BEEN GETTING DIFFERENT REPORTS. SOME GOOD SOME BAD.
Photo of Charles - K5UA

Charles - K5UA

• 317 Posts
  • 88 Reply Likes
When I go out to the camp tomorrow I'll post my RE27 EQ settings. It will be a good starting point for you. i also have the low freq roll off engaged. Would be interested in working you to listen to it. My low freq roll-off on the Flex is 100 hz and the high freq roll-off is 3200 hz. I use the Middle Compressor setting. If you want to email me , my email is on QRZ.COM.
Photo of Charles - K5UA

Charles - K5UA

• 317 Posts
  • 88 Reply Likes
Don, these are the EQ setting for my RE-27:
63 hz   = -3
125 hz = -4
250 hz =  0
500 hz =  0
1k hz   =  0
2k hz   = +6
4k hz   = +6
8k hz   = +4

Low freq roll-off on the RE-27 is ENGAGED
Flex bandwidth is 100 - 3200 hz
Processor is in DX position

Try that as a starting point.  Remember, different voice characteristics can require different EQ settings, but this should get you into the ballpark.

Good luck, Charles
Photo of Don Stefanik

Don Stefanik

• 89 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Thank you. I will give that a try.
Photo of Don Stefanik

Don Stefanik

• 89 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
I too would enjoy having a qso. Storms coming thru tonight so will have to wait. I will email you to set up a qso.  VA3KBC
Photo of Jerry - W2TXB

Jerry - W2TXB

• 87 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
I have been using the PR781 since when I had the Flex 5000A, and it remains a great microphone with my 6700. I am also considering the next logical step... the RE-27N/D (or maybe the RE20); the RE20 is said to have a bit more "warmth", while the RE27 reportedly sounds slightly "brighter".

Decisions, decisions...
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9152 Posts
  • 3479 Reply Likes
If you desire "warmth" in your audio, you might consider using an external tube-based mic preamp.
Photo of Philip KA4KOE

Philip KA4KOE

• 174 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
I use an EV RE320 and get multiple reports of great audio.
Photo of Larry - WA7LZO

Larry - WA7LZO

• 161 Posts
  • 42 Reply Likes
For best performance with your EV-RE27N/D mic, you will definitely want to consider coupling it with the venerable Symetrix 528E external preamp. This preamp is a legacy analog product, but thankfully, Symetrix is still manufacturing it. Although the 528E is a little bit pricey (street price is about $1,100), I think most serious hams will find it's well worth the extra $'s, in terms of improved audio quality, juxtaposed to the PR-781. Not "night and day" better, but if you do on-air A/B performance evals with discerning listeners, they typically will report the audio quality with the EV-RE27N/D and Symetrix is better than the PR-781. Others will not necessarily be able to tell the difference, but I've found many an old timer ham have very bad hearing, so for such folks, there may be no noticeable delta in perceived audio quality. I figure with this EV mic and Symetrix, you've done your job, best you can. So, now it's up to the listener to decide, and Yes, results will vary. Most importantly, keep in mind with the EV-RE27N/D, you will be using the exact same mic as Rush Limbaugh over his big EIB network, albeit it will not be gold plated (sigh!). I've emailed Rush to find out what company gold plated his mic, and I will post when I get an answer on this. Just emailed Rush late yesterday.
(Edited)
Photo of Jerry - W2TXB

Jerry - W2TXB

• 87 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
No answer yet from Rush? I believe his came with the gold plating directly from E-V. 

As a kid, I recall many churches had gold plated E-V microphones (664's and similar)... probably quite common back then. 
Photo of Bob G   W1GLV

Bob G W1GLV

• 679 Posts
  • 114 Reply Likes
That's too expensive for my pocketbook.
Photo of David

David

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have been using a RE-27 with my 6700 for several years.  I have found that using a tube pre-amp, between the microphone and the xlr connection, instead of using  the 20 db  mic boost.  I am using a Behringer Tube Ultragain MIC200.  It has received great audio reports.
Photo of Michael - N5TGL

Michael - N5TGL

• 307 Posts
  • 101 Reply Likes
I've got a RE-320 and love the results.  This is me being picked up in Germany a few weeks back.  I was living in the UK at the time, so that's the reason for the 20 over :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ8inw5dLPI
Photo of Philip KA4KOE

Philip KA4KOE

• 174 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Slick microphone, ain't it?
Photo of Norm - W7CK

Norm - W7CK

• 747 Posts
  • 152 Reply Likes
While reading about the PR320, it seems it is quite a bit hotter than the PR40 which I'm currently using.   I'm finding with the PR40 that I have to have the drive on my 6700 sitting at nearly 100%.  I've thought about getting a mic preamp, but that just adds more junk into the mix (I'm trying to simplify things).  So I guess my question is:  Do you find you still need a mic pre-amp?
Photo of David Livingston

David Livingston

• 121 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
I use the Pro40 and my microphone stays at 65. Any higher the level goes into the red. 
Photo of Norm - W7CK

Norm - W7CK

• 747 Posts
  • 152 Reply Likes
Anyone using a RE320?   I'm thinking of giving one a try.  I'm currently using a PR40 but find I have to have the drive at nearly 100% just to get it to drive the 6700.

I'm wondering how the RE320 is working out for folks.....

Norm
Photo of Michael - N5TGL

Michael - N5TGL

• 307 Posts
  • 101 Reply Likes
I posted a link to a recording of me using a RE-320 a few posts up.  I run my mic gain at 100% and that works just fine.  I did purchase a small preamp, but even with the metal case and extensive choking, I still had problems with RF feedback.  I was using a random wire at the time, so there was unavoidable RF in the shack.  Without the preamp, it was fine.  I'm not setup stateside yet, but I'll be using a vertical/dipoles/hexbeam so RF feedback should be less of a problem.
Photo of Philip KA4KOE

Philip KA4KOE

• 174 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Norm.....my RE320 works great with my 6300. Lots of unsolicited "outstanding" audio reports. I use a Symetrix 528E and an Inovonics 222.
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1059 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
Yea same here. RE320. I was using a PR781.

Huge difference in Audio quality.
Photo of Lee

Lee, Elmer

• 677 Posts
  • 285 Reply Likes
I'm using a RE320  

My BW is 150hz to 3100hz  100hz is too low 175 works pretty well alsoMic gain is 63
Processor is DX
DEXP is off 

EQ is
63 -8
125 -7
250 -6
500 -2
1K +2
2K +6
4K +7
8K +8

the switch on the mic is flipped toward the strait line 

Get ya in the ball park

73  W9OY
Photo of Norm - W7CK

Norm - W7CK

• 747 Posts
  • 152 Reply Likes
Thanks for the info on the RE320 folks.  While the mic is just a little bit hotter, it sounds like the mic gain still needs to be set up at around 100%.  I've been really trying to get buy without a preamp.  I just don't want a bunch of extra wires and RFI prone equipment on the desk. 
Photo of Michael - N5TGL

Michael - N5TGL

• 307 Posts
  • 101 Reply Likes
Norm,

DId you listen to this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ8inw5dLPI

That is me with RE-320 and mic gain at 100%.  No preamp needed, and running 100% on the preamp doesn't hurt anything.
Photo of Don Stefanik

Don Stefanik

• 87 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
YOU SOUND REALLLY GOOD!!
Photo of Lee

Lee, Elmer

• 677 Posts
  • 285 Reply Likes
I run my mic gain at 63 with the mic strait into the radio. If I run it at 100 I over drive the hell out of the radio
Photo of Lee

Lee, Elmer

• 677 Posts
  • 285 Reply Likes
Ken

I think the processor works to increase average power dramatically without much effect on peak power.  SSB is often looked at as a low duty cycle mode relatively speaking compared to AM.  SSB linear amps back in the day were often home brewed out of TV sweep tubes and small transformers from a junk TV chassis and relied on this low duty cycle idea.  The Flex processor allows for 2.4 dB (nearly double) increased average power.  What this means is you better have adequate power supply components in your linear amplifier.

Veritable from the Latin Veritas: truth

73  W9OY
(Edited)
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4026 Posts
  • 1248 Reply Likes
I was every enthused back when they announced that they were adopting the new routine for the Processor.  It has really made a difference in the performance of the rig.  When I move from NOR to DX or DX+ it always has a very noticeable effect on readability on the other end.  Of course I only use DX or DX+ with my "high performance" DXing/Weak signal/Contesting profiles when I also limit the low-end because if can get to sound pretty nasty if the filters and TX EQ are not set properly with PROC.  

I also remember FRS warning people that driving amplifiers with inadequate power supplies might find that they can experience excessive heating, or worse.  If the amp's power supply drops regulation due to the excessive load, it could even add to distortion.

(In guitar amps, it is known as "SAG" when the power supply SAGs and cannot deliver immediate full power as the note is played.  It adds a "spongey" texture to the sound of the guitar.  This can be very nice on a guitar, but BAD on a radio transmitter!)

Re: "Veritable" Mic gain...that is why I laughed because it made it nonsensical.  "Mic gain is highly truthful, (genuine, authentic)..."  ha.  My mike gain is more truthful/authentic than yours.  Perhaps that is what some people mean when they say "That rig sounds "Righteous!"
Photo of Lee

Lee, Elmer

• 677 Posts
  • 285 Reply Likes
In this day and age it's nice to get a little truth 
Photo of Michael - N5TGL

Michael - N5TGL

• 307 Posts
  • 101 Reply Likes
Ken,

Hmmmmm, you bring up a very interesting point on the wiring of the mic cable.  I'm using XLR-XLR, and yep, it's on a cheap boom stand (q-mic.)  Looks like I might need to pull the connectors apart tonight and verify the wiring.  I may have another mic cable laying around that I can swap out for a quick check with no disassembly.

Thanks!!!  Might be on to something here!
Photo of Michael - N5TGL

Michael - N5TGL

• 307 Posts
  • 101 Reply Likes
Ken,

Hmmmmm, you bring up a very interesting point on the wiring of the mic cable.  I'm using XLR-XLR, and yep, it's on a cheap boom stand (q-mic.)  Looks like I might need to pull the connectors apart tonight and verify the wiring.  I may have another mic cable laying around that I can swap out for a quick check with no disassembly.

Thanks!!!  Might be on to something here!
Photo of W7NGA

W7NGA

• 411 Posts
  • 174 Reply Likes
Tweaking audio is fun but in reality, unless you have a S9+ signal, the differences manifest as slight coloring differences of little benefit. And, the differences in microphones are generally no more than what can be compensated for via EQ. Listen to the Flex forum, and you just won't hear grand differences in signals, including stations priding themselves on mega-dollar audio installations (many posting here). In fact, the cruel irony is that when conditions are poor and the SNR is low, it benefits the listener to purposefully skew the response away from anything sounding natural. Opening up the spectrum far beyond 3.3k affords some experimentation, but Flex Signature radios rarely measure well with the ESSB crowd. On the other hand, some of the best AM signals are Flex 5000's with external and extended audio.

W7NGA
Seaside, Oregon
Photo of Bill - N4APG

Bill - N4APG

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'm looking at adding an EV RE320 as well. What connecting cabling and PTT switching are best for the Flex 6x00 series radios? The EV RE20 is a classic, but the RE320 seems better for SSB.
Photo of Cal Spreitzer

Cal Spreitzer

• 353 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
Hi Bill,  I've been using the EV RE320 with my Flex 6500.  It takes a standard 3 Pin XLR cable for the balanced (back) mic input.  The Flex 6300 requires the front 8 Pin foster which is compatible with the Heil/YAESU Balanced pinout cable. 

The Flex/RE320 sounds great!  I always receive unsolicited great audio reports with it! 

Cal/N3CAL
Photo of Lee

Lee, Elmer

• 677 Posts
  • 285 Reply Likes
I use a RE 320. Imho just buy the heil yaesu cable. I spent a couple days trying to build a cable that had ptt but could never get the buzz out.

73 W9OY
Photo of Jerry - W2TXB

Jerry - W2TXB

• 87 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
Just received a RE27 N/D this afternoon (bought it slightly used online for half the price of a brand new one) and finally got a few minutes to install and (initially) test it using the settings suggested by K5UA. Audio reports (no external pre-amp) are really favorable so far. Granted, the PR781 is a heck of a nice mic, but the E-V definitely kicks it up a notch.
Photo of K2CB Eric Dobrowansky

K2CB Eric Dobrowansky

• 232 Posts
  • 85 Reply Likes
I've tried a lot of the popular mics on the 6500. PR781, PR40, RE27, SM7B, and a few others. What I have found is that while they can all be made to sound "good" with the built in EQ, to sound "great", they all needed a good preamp/processor between the mic and radio. Personally, I preferred the smoothness of the SM7B. It does not suffer from proximity effect or other common issues.

As to the preamp/processors - I've tried the W2IHY combo, Symentrix 528e, 628, Aphex 230 / Channel, ART Mic Channel, and the Wheatstone M1. The Wheatstone M1 is the winner hands down, but at a price of just under $1k. They almost never show up on the used market. What does that say? But a close second is the Symetrix 528e, which can be found regularly on eBay for $300 or less, if you don't mind some scratches and rack marks on the unit. Even better is the 628 digital version, but they are rare to come by, and run around $500.

Grab a 528e for $300, and it will be the best $300 you spent.

Eric

K2CB
(Edited)
Photo of ka7gzr

ka7gzr

• 215 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes

I really don't think the various Mics and EQs make that much difference compared to what the internal Flex EQ can do on the 6000 series. Currently I have a RE27 and the Yaesu M1 on line. My external EQ is a Symetrix Air Tools Voice Processor 2X. In the drawer is the Symmetric 528E, Heil PR40 and Electra-Voice RE20. All are fun to play with but if you are trying to decide where to spend your hard earned amateur radio dollars this would be secondary.

Jim

ka7gzr  

(Edited)
Photo of Jerry - W2TXB

Jerry - W2TXB

• 87 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
Just for reference (and everybody else's settings may vary as everybody else's voice characteristics differ as well), here are my settings for the RE-27N/D:

63 Hz = 5
125 Hz = 0
250 Hz = 1
500 Hz = 1
1 kHz = 2
2 kHz = 6
4 kHz = 6
8 kHz = 5

Mic Gain = 60
PROC = Off (although DX setting is good at times)
DEXP = 70
Low Cut = 100; High Cut = 3200

So far, it is working well... if there is any further "tweaking", it will be in very small amounts, but I doubt it will be necessary.