Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

I can't belive: "This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies."

13»

Answers

• Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Looking to see what I can get a used 7600 at some time soon. Perhaps I can take one off the hands of one of the terribly dissatisfied customers.
  • James Whiteway
    edited May 2017
    I'm in! I have my credit card ready! :-)
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Well, it certainly isn't a safe zone in here. There isn't anything wrong with airing complaints about the radios. There isn't anything wrong with defending it.  But when it gets to the point of obvious hatred for the things, a safe zone isn't the answer, it's selling the darn thing and buying something else that will make the poor person happy.  We should all be happy, life is too short to consistently harbor anger about a radio.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Tim? Looks like your BBQ rib warmer has materialized. Now to put the **** tap on the other side, and we're cookin'!

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited May 2017
    It's a little small.  Maybe an add-on for the PowerGenius XL.  I can put away some ribs :-D
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Ha, I knew it was not solid state!!!!
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Anyone know about using a tube AUDIO Amp (RFI, interference) with a Flex?image
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Because I can and I'm a stakeholder!

So am I, if owning Flex gear makes me a stakeholder.

Also, Lee hit the nail on the head, when "experts" tell Gerald, Tim or Steve they don't know what they are talking about who are they kidding these guys ARE FlexRadio!

Why are you throwing me in that group? When have I told Gerald, Tim or Steve that they don't know what they are talking about?

Like I said if you're not happy with Flex then leave and let us enjoy the fruits of Flex's labor without all the QRM!  

Are you asking me to leave the forum? Are you asking me to sell my equipment? Do you really think this is appropriate? If you take the time to look at my posting history in the last 3 years in this forum, can you honestly frame me as a hater with some kind of agenda? I have gone above and beyond trying to help other Flex users, I even have tutorial videos in Spanish, a blog dedicated to Flex, magazine editorials about Flex, do you really consider me QRM??  

Look what happened over at HRD, yes people left because of Rick but many stayed and stuck it out. 
    I have no idea what happened at HRD ... unless you are talking about the active censorship to people that said things they didn't like about their product. If that is the case I do not understand your point here. if anything it makes my point about allowing all kinds of opinions in the forum.

This is what I love about our country, freedom of speech ....
    The 1st country to establish freedom of speech wasn't the USA, the US wasn't even the 2nd, you have to look across the pond in Europe for that. I see no need for "patriotic" statements to make a point about freedom of speech. 

but with that, you better have some thick skin when posting on forums because some people think it's there giving right to call you names and verbally abuse one another, I call this the "FaceBook Effect" .

Calling names and verbally abusing one another is not acceptable period, and I think Tim does an outstanding job controlling it in the forum, while providing enough leeway for all kinds of opinions across the spectrum.

The reason I posted was to answer mainly to Lee N2LEE because he had phrases such as "quickly turned from constructive and feedback to a **** session" ; " managing a bunch of cry baby's"  and "reading the recent comments they are more like static crashes." which are all instances of a bit of name calling. But I also posted because I value some of the other things he also said, for example:

"I do not want to appear to be a Flex fan boy but I am happy with the product I am using. Is there room for improvement, OF COURSE. And believe me I have my own list, especially in the area of the GUI."

"There are (initial) product decisions Flex has made that I am not happy about. Such as dropping a broadcast balanced XLR connector and using a consumer 1/8" stereo mic input. But the (adult) long term decision process is based on more than a mic connector. I have to weigh the entire product line, software, long term company viability and cost."

And then on later posts:

"One of THE great advantages to Flex users is the fact that Flex is going to paid upgrade. The key issue everyone is overlooking is this now puts more pressure than ever to improve SSDR. Think about it from this perspective, if 2.0 does not live up to YOUR expectation then you will not upgrade. If you do not upgrade then Flex does not generate the necessary revenue needed to stay competitive and increase their market share." 

and

"Personally I think when the newest SSDR features come out for the entire product line, I think a lot the noise will drop. If users can get the same capability on their existing radio then that levels the playing field."

And you know what? These are all things I agree with. If someone disagrees with me but also provides interesting and well presented points of view, then we are in for an enjoyable session of forum dialogue.

If I didn't respect you, or Lee or Bill I wouldn't even bother posting.

I post because I care, because I think Flex can do thing better and in doing so I will benefit. I post in this forum, and continue to do so because I have learned a lot from it. For example, In the last 24 hrs Steve posted about Nyquist zones and Chris about CESSB pointing to a resource I had not red before. This is a great place to get information, to learn. 

But let's not make it a place where all we get to do is **** FRS' ego... they don't need that. Praises are always welcomed *FRS gets tons of those in the forum). But criticism is useful too.

@Bill  You said

"And other times some, make comments that are simply not true, misleading info, or misunderstandings. Then Tim or Gerald has to step in to correct the bad info."

and then

"Even when Gerald takes the time to explain why Flex does things, people tell him he does not know what he's talking about. that happened this week as well.
    I did notice after Gerald explained what happened to V1 and how and why they decide on what features made it in and other didn't helped people understand the company choices.
    But still their were some who said that he was not doing a good job and that Flex can not sustain it self the way they do things."

So if Gerald and Tim can hold their own in a forum, explaining things and "correcting the bad info" as you put it... why do you think you or I, or anyone needs to come in and "defend" them? And, don't you think that regardless of what they write, there will always be dissenting opinions. About a year ago we had a group of people posting that went over the line too many times and Tim had to step in. I think FRS does an outstanding job (Tim deserves a rise after each Hamvention)

New Radios

The announcement of the 6400 and 6600 radios was a major one. It caught a lot of us by surprise. A lot of us could expect new hardware.... we just didn't expect REPLACEMENTS of current 6000 series radios. The 6300 is a 3 year old model... that is a baby in Ham Gear terms. Had it been a QRP radio like a 6100 and a model with VHF and UHF that added to the line of RADIOS I assure you that it would have been easier to digest.

This new paradigm changes things... we could even think (*probably wrongly) that Flex radios from now on will have a shorter lifespan before they are replaced with newer models. I understand that the 6300 and 6500 are still supported and will get the upgrades, and all that.... but you have to admit this was like tectonic plates shifting and the forum reacted. Some enthusiastically and other not so much. 

Only a very small percentage of Flex users around the world had a chance to be at the banquet or to speak to FRS in person in Hara. So this is the place where we are getting the information. And it is the place where we are expressing our opinions while the data trickles down, slowly.
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    >> "This is what I love about our country, freedom >> of speech" > "The 1st country to establish freedom of speech > wasn't the USA" No one said it was, he said "what I love about our country (is) freedom of speech" I don't see the word "first" in that statement.
  • Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I just love my loaded TS-530S. It was very expensive when I bought it new in 1981 as a gift to my Dad; about the same price as a reconditioned FLEX 6300 today (adjusted for inflation). And  it still rates 5/5 with over 50 reviews on eHam.

It works today exactly the same way it did in 1981 and still looks like new. All the features which made it famous are still there. What fun it still is!

Of course Kenwood soon replaced it with newer TS- models which were similar but had even more nice features. Sort of reminds me of my FLEX 6300. And why I'm keeping them both.

• Tim - W4TME
    edited May 2017
    This is enough.  Period.  You want to make this between yourselves, please take it off the Community.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited June 2017
    I have closed this topic becuase the replies have gotten personal, again.  This really will not be tolerated.  Please review the Community guidelines, they are listed below for your convenience.

And remember when using the Community always show respect to others regardless of their opinions. Give people the benefit of the doubt, just like you would if talking to them in person. Posts that include personal attacks, overtly negative comments, non-constructive criticism, falsehoods, defamation of character, libelous speech, or gratuitous profanity will be removed, as they do not contribute to the community atmosphere we want to maintain. Any pattern of poor behavior may result in losing your Community posting privileges.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.