Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

I cannot access 2 meter repeaters. community explains how to set tone but the explanation doesn't ma

James Madden
James Madden Member
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
community talks about setting the slice with tone, but he screen shots dont match what i have,
how do you set tone fore repeaters?
i have downloaded and installed the latest smartsdr..
thanks
Jim

Answers

• G4NRT
    G4NRT Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I have a Flex 6500 so I am using Transverters to get onto 4m, 2m and 70cm. I also have the DV dongle. I can get into any repeaters on 2m and 70cm. I use the memories to programme in the frequency, offset and tones etc. Likewise for D-Star. No issues whatever. Hoping this helps! David G4NRT
  • Dave -- W5DJB
    Dave -- W5DJB Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018

Using the 2-meter RX Panel
    1. turn on CTCSS
    2. Set tone
    3. set offset
    4. set offset to plus or minus for the frequency
    5. set squelch (SQL)

This can also all and more be done from settings/memory/add.

Be sure antennas are set properly.

Good luck.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Make sure mode is FM
  • James Madden
    James Madden Member
    edited November 2016
    my panel looks different than yours. do you have the latest software?
    also i have installed the down east microwave transverter, how much should the drive be?
    i've put it at 100db, but the smart sdr power meter shows no output when i transmit? shouldn't it?

thanks
    Jim
  • Dave -- W5DJB
    Dave -- W5DJB Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Yes, 1.8.  It has looked this way for several iterations of the software.  Turn on CTCSS and your version should work.  May not have squelch though.
  • Dave -- W5DJB
    Dave -- W5DJB Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    I think I put about 63 into mine 2M75 LDPA if I need to drive it full scale, but usually run less.  If that's what you are using it's not a transverter, it's just a low drive power amplifier.  Just watch the RF power LED's on it and adjust the flex appropriately.
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Jim, Dave , you're looking at two different things...  Jim you have the Slice panel
    Dave you have the RX panel on the side of SSDR that shows the RX infor for the active slice..  In the Slice panel, SQL is grouped with the VOL under the speaker icon.

AL, K0VM
  • Dave -- W5DJB
    Dave -- W5DJB Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Of course.  Don't know what I was thinking.  Bed time.
  • James Madden
    James Madden Member
    edited May 2018
    definitely using 2m. still no power showing in the sdr power indicators. what;s up with that?
    when I transmit the panadapter is showing a large signal/
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Power meter looks at the PA output; the transverter output is not metered, and is WAY less power.

Are you sure you're using the XVTR port? Probably shouldn't see a signal in the panadapter when you transmit
  • James Madden
    James Madden Member
    edited November 2016
    Thanks very much. Could you recommend a power meter for the vhf and uhf antennas then?
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

James,

Several things in your note may be confusing and will result in mixed comments

1. What 6000 series are you using?  Since you mentioned the Transverter port I will assume a 6700 as it is the only 6000 that has 2M output on the transverter port.
    2. You mentioned a DEMI TRANSVERTER.  This device does not use a 2M drive, normally a 10M input.
    3. e.g. I have a DEMI 2M-75 LDPA for my 6700.  It is a Low Drive Power Amplifier that is driven by +5 DBM (100%) on the 6700 transverter port to full power.  Where are you getting 100dbm?

Stan

• Dave -- W5DJB
    Dave -- W5DJB Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Jim, are you seeing the power LEDs on the DEMI LDPA change as you move the power slider?  They should.  You will never see any power indicated on the radio.  If they are indicating power, then both the radio and LDPA are working fine together.  If not, check your connections.  All of this assumes you are using a DEMI LDPA and not a DEMI Transverter.  If it's a transverter you must be on the proper HF band, not 2-meters.  Transverters must also be set up in the radio profile.

If you are seeing LDPA power LEDs react,  then there is something incorrect in your repeater setup.  Note that the LDPA will still show about half-scale power even if no antenna is connected.  That fooled me once.  It would help us if you posted screen captures of your current repeater configuration and your transverter profile setup if that is what you are using.  In the repeater setup you did post, you had selected a tone but had it turned off.  Check that the "off" now says CTCSS, available in the drop-down list for that setting.

Dave
  • Dave -- W5DJB
    Dave -- W5DJB Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Here is what you slice receiver should look like with CTCSS (tone) enabled.image
    Dave
  • James Madden
    James Madden Member
    edited November 2016
    Thanks very much i have rhe redesigned ldpas from demi and they have no leds.
  • James Madden
    James Madden Member
    edited November 2016
    My slice receiver noe looks ok. I checked my handi talkie and when transmitting on the flex i did hear myself. Still no luck on repeaters though. Thanks
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    That is odd because I am able to work a local repeater with the 6700 XVRT port and no amp  (Still waiting for the DEMI amp), with just the 10mW. The only thing I have not been able to use is RX CTCSS, mine only has TX CTCSS.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Pretty much any VHF meter is fine. I use an Elecraft W2 with two sensors, one for HF and one for VHF. Nice to have power meter on computer desktop, especially when remote.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Jim, let us know what Flex and DEMI you're using, and which ports are hooked up. Might shed some light.
  • James Madden
    James Madden Member
    edited November 2016
    below is an image of the configuration. the two DEMI transverters are their new products:  L144-28 for the 2M unit and L432-28 for the 70cm . thanks for any help or advice
    Jimimage
  • Dave -- W5DJB
    Dave -- W5DJB Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Jim, these are transverters. You need to operate in the 10m band, not 2m.
  • Dave -- W5DJB
    Dave -- W5DJB Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    What does your xvtr setup look like?  I assume you have set this up to translate frequencies for display.
  • Dave -- W5DJB
    Dave -- W5DJB Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    What does your xvtr setup look like?  I assume you have set this up to translate frequencies for display.

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Try RXA to listen on 2m, that's what you're connected to, only TX on XVTR.
    Is the appropriate relay (TX1, 2, or 3) going into each PTT? And selected in rig setup?
    Use only one transverter at a time.
    Also - what are your Transverter settings in rig setup? There should be one tab for each band's transverter, with the appropriate IF for each.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    When properly configured, transverters will be shown with the actual frequency in SSDR. It's pretty slick.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    One more thing. Is the splitter you show capable of passing 28-32 MHz (your IF)?
  • James Madden
    James Madden Member
    edited November 2016
    Thanks i assume so but ill ask dem9 who provided the splitter.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Did my suggestions help? By the way, what are your plans for the transverters? Moonbounce, meteor scatter, Satellites? Just curious.
  • James Madden
    James Madden Member
    edited November 2016
    Ibe asked questions of demi about these transverters and im planning on ordering an elecraft w2. Wheni transmit i hear it on my handitalki and vice versa.still some work todo.thanks. Jim
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Jim, we can help you better if you provide more information.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.