Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

I Bet This Video Will Help Sell A Lot Of Radios

2»

Comments

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    yes I think you would do it for each band you use, simply do that and name them bye band
  • W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    No, it doesn't work.  What happens is, even if you setup a band and then save it to a common profile it gets **** up when you save the other slice.  So, I am trying to save slice A on ant 1, rcve/xmit pre amp on,  Slice B with ant 2 rcv and xmit, and pre amp on.  When I save slice B alone slice B is just fine, but it corrupts the saved data for slice A and so on.  Some how the global profile is failing to recognize the independence of slice A and B.
    Peter
  • Rick Ciotti W3DIY
    Rick Ciotti W3DIY Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    BTW the ICOM rep provided RMDR values from their lab, Sherwood's values are not as optimistic. Should be interesting to see if the ARRL receiver report matches ICOMs. W3DIY
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    One things for sure, The new Icom radios are no match for any FlexRadio when it comes to performance.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I think beyond a certain level it's just a gigantic whizzing contest. That's not to say Flex doesn't make high performance radios - they do - but beyond about 80dB close in dynamic range is where it gets to the point where humans can't really tell the difference.

I enjoy using Flex radios for other reasons - the UI is well thought out, I am not a **** to knobs (my preference), I can remote it easily, SO2R in a box, adjustable EQ built in, a variety of mic options and features that keep on growing. The Flex-6000 for the first time is a radio that just plain makes sense to me. The most frustrating thing I found as a 2 decade long Icom user is that Icom buries its radios in menus, Flex lays it out all in front of you. The mobile rigs were super frustrating for me especially. Even the desktop base rigs like the 756 series were frustrating in many respects. 

But yes, I do like the dynamic range because when the 10 kilowatt guy in the contest fires up his hooooola box 2 kc away and splattering, I can still run my pileup with ease.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    At some point at the level most radios perform in lab test now it really comes down to more tangible things that tells the differences between radios. Things like panel organization and layout. The size of buttons and knobs, can a person with **** fingers operate without fumbling, is there good room between buttons? Are there just to many buttons.

Are menus easy to find and adjust? Is the radio easy to setup and understand? There are many more things I could mention, all is what makes a radio nice to use. These things should have much more importance then some lab stats that make very little if any difference to radio enjoyment. In my opinion.

But this is such a large subject, bigger then I have time for here. If we look deeper into why people buy certain types of radios we find for many, it becomes a very personal thing. Some say, I am an Icom guy, never owned anything else and never will. This could any company, Kenwood, Yaesu, anything. As some of you know I am a writer and can turn this into a long article.
    Anyways!!!
  • Steven Linley
    Steven Linley Member
    edited July 2018
    Thanks everyone for the video links. I played with the IC-7300 when it first came on the scene, and saw it as a game changer.  But it was lacking Dual Watch, so I resisted purchase.  When it became clear the IC-7610 would sell for the price of the 6500, I figured I was getting more for my money with Flex.  It may me take years to get comfortable with my new Flex 6600 and Maestro.  So far (I've used it one day at my home QTH) I've been able to use the Maestro with the 6600 when both are wire connected to my LAN.  SmarLink has been a circular login experience (I never achieve a SmartLink connection) .  And Maestro operation on wifi is intermittent, useless :-(  .
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    "SmarLink has been a circular login experience (I never achieve a SmartLink connection) .  And Maestro operation on wifi is intermittent, useless :-(  ."

I commented on your other post about updating the software.
  • W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    What exactly is not working for you with Smartlink?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.