Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

I am very new to the 6400M and need some help.

Andy W3LI
Andy W3LI Member ✭✭
I am very new to the 6400M and need some help. I have my HF ant on "A" and my 7el 6m beam on "B". I can't seem to be able to do this. Maybe it can not be done?????

Answers

• Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Andy, The 6400 only has one SCU which is the spectral capture unit.  You can only receive from one antenna source at a time.

This means that if one slice is on A and on another you try to change to B for receive it is likely both slices will change to B.

The 6600 and 6700 have more SCUs so they can receive from different sources at the time time.
  • N9VC
    N9VC Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Are you trying to switch between antennas? If so, tap the ant 1 on the screen and
    and you will get a drop down menu. There you can switch between Ant 1 and 2.
    You do it for both receive and transmit.
  • Andy W3LI
    Andy W3LI Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    That sure defeats the idea I was looking for. I was hoping to get rid of some 6m gear. So why have antenna input 2 or A and B when all I can use is "A"  and antenna input 1 ??? 
  • N9VC
    N9VC Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Read my above post. You can switch between antennas and use both A & B.
    But if you wish to receive on both slices, they have to use a common antenna.
    Such as 6 meters, A on 50.125 and the other up on a digital freq.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    N9VC is correct, both antenna ports share the same single SCU on the 6400M. In order to make them independent you need the 6600 or 6700 radios.
  • bahillen
    bahillen Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Andy I was confused with the antennas and SCU and band filtering when I ordered a 6400 2 years ago. While waiting for delivery I started looking at how the SCU works and it’s relation to antennas. I changed my order to a 6600 4 months later. I still didn’t understand the operating impact even with the 6600. I have two antennas for Tx/RX and since added two receive antennas. The radio can select between 6 connectors on the radio that can be used for receive on HF. Two ANT 1 and Ant 2, Two RCVR A and B and Two XBTR A and B. All selectable from the front panel. Really cool and a great capability from the front panel and automatically switching with Persistence or Global Profiles. (XVTR A and B must be used cautiously because you can transmit low level RF if not careful.) BUT only Two antennas can be active at one time to the radio / SCUs for the 6600 and One for the 6400. Here is the RUB, when you change RX antennas on a Slice that is use concurrently by other Slices the other slices may also change RX antennas unexpectedly. Sometimes you have to put all slices on one SCU then select the RX antennas one at a time otherwise the software decides what it thinks you want not always what I want. You mentally have to think that an SCU is a receive antenna, One SCU equals One antenna for receive PERIOD. With a 6400 you may be able to find a duplexer than combines the two antennas into one receive input that is a possible solution. Even an antenna analyzer, a T and some coax maybe a relay to TX. As an example on 160 or 80m, I put my vertical on ANT 2 and a directional receive on RCVR B with two Slices on the same frequency. Very helpful on digital. Integration of antenna selection into the radio is a big deal for both models. Others have answered your basic question. I responded because I have struggled with how to get the most out of the Flex capability. Had I stayed with the 6400 I would have $2,000 in the bank and still have an unbelievable radio. I even thought I could have bought two 6400s and had more choices for the same money. You have options. 73 Bill W9JJB
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Good post Bill,

I personally like to think of an SCU as a true receiver. 

When you buy an Icom or Kenwood with "dual" receivers it is like getting 2 SCUs only the SCUs in the Flex are very likely much better.

With 2 SCU you can, in my experience, have them both pointed at a single RX antenna or have them pointed at different RX antennas.

For those of you with lots of space the 6600, 6700 makes it possible to have one SCU perhaps on your large 160m loop antenna and the other SCU connect to your 2000 foot 6m beam.

It would be like having two radios in one except you cannot transmit out both at the same time.  TX switching is very quick of course and assuming you either use the internal tuner or an external tuner you could almost instantly switch and TX on either one.

• Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Andy,
      You can add a 6m-HF diplexer... HF on  one port and 6m one the other and connect that to either ANT port on the radio..  You'll be able to receiver on hf and 6m at the same time. You won't have band filters because the SCU will be in  wide mode but that has worked well for me.

AL, K0VM
  • K5ROX
    K5ROX Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I remember that same feeling.....

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.