I am trying to get my new 6600 working with WSJT-X RX works CAT does't

• Problem
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Solved
I am setting up wsjt-x with my new 6600. Not clear what to put in the box for network. latest SRD and SRD CAT software. I have put in the Radio as Flex 6xxx and tried a number of Network Servers names. I have set up a com port and also set up a TCP port 60001 as discussed in some of the community postings. Tried the Kenwood 2000 Rig to no avail. The receive side of WSJT-X is working fine and decoding. Using Slice A. In the wsjt-x settings when i Test CAT is turns Red and get a message Rig Failure Hamlib error: Protocol error while opening connection to rig 
Or Hamlib error: Invalid configuration while opening connection to rigRig. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated. The inputs in the community seem to be different for different radios and different software versions. Maybe I missed something in the documentation. WSJT-X ver 1.8.0 K1JT . Has been working great with my FT1000MP MarkV. Flex 6600 also works will with HRD. 

Bill
W9JJB
Photo of bahillen

bahillen

• 126 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of NX6D Dave

NX6D Dave

• 308 Posts
  • 94 Reply Likes
Pictures are worth thousands of words.  Here's how I have my CAT port set up:

and here is how I have my WSJT-X configured:

Here is the audio configuration:

And here is the radio configuration:

Select the DAX channel (1 in my case) in the slice receiver so that sound from the radio will go to DAX RX channel 1.  Select DAX as the transmitter input (blue button at the left).  Set the TX and RX passbands to your liking, mine are usually wide open, 0 to 5000 Hz.  Slice mode should be DIGU.

Set the TX power to 100% and control the TX level with the DAX TX control:

Make sure the RX and TX channels are turned on in the DAX control panel.

That should do it.

Dave / NX6D
Photo of David Decoons wo2x

David Decoons wo2x, Elmer

• 1351 Posts
  • 289 Reply Likes
Official Response
WSJT-X 1.80 release version on their site does not have an updated Hamlib library in it to support the new models of Flex radios (6400/6600). I have contacted the Hamlib developers and their current version of Hamlib is now updated.

I am in contact with the WSJT-X development team to have them update the Hamlib library in the official version on their site.

I have compiled Hamlib and WSJT-X with the changes. This is the same current version of WSJT-X (1.80) but includes the updated Hamlib to support the 6400/6600 radios.

Here is a link to download it from my Dropbox. 
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9qucywqxybjng0d/wsjtx-1.8.0-win32.zip?dl=0 

Just unzip, then install. You do not have to uninstall the 1.80 version you already installed.

As per previous instructions you need to create a TCP CAT port (which you did) and then choose Flex 6xxx for radio type and enter the IP 127.0.0.1:5004 (5004 is the TCP port I created, substitute the port number for whatever you created.

Dave wo2x
Photo of NX6D Dave

NX6D Dave

• 308 Posts
  • 94 Reply Likes
Yep, I've been using the patched WSJT-X for so long I have more or less forgotten that it is a special version.

I have a full installer for WSJT-X 1.8.0 that contains the changes necessary for the 6400 and 6600 to be recognized, if you, or anyone needs it.

Since Bill said he couldn't get WSJT-X working using Kenwood TS2000, I included all of the configuration stuff above.

Here's my system running on TS2000:

• 1351 Posts
  • 289 Reply Likes
Both TS-2000 and Flex 6xxx do not work with 6400 or 6600 in the public release of WSJT-X 1.80. My post above has a link to the patched version on Dropbox if anyone needs it. 

For the tech heads - both the Kenwood.c and Flex.c files need to be updated with the new model Flex radios with the new radio IDs. That is the modification I've done to Hamlib.

I am working to get the authors of WSJT-X to update the Hamlib code and release a version with 6400/6600 support and to ensure future version of WSJT-X support all the Flex radios.

Note for Bill, if you are not using JT Alert, you should download and install the latest version. It fully supports logging to HRD.

Dave wo2x
(Edited)
Photo of Dale - K4DG

Dale - K4DG

• 17 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Dave:  Thanks for the tips and the updated/fixed version of WSJT-X. I had just installed my new 6600 and encountered this same problem as others when trying to run WSJT-X 1.8.0. Loading the modified WSJT-X file did the trick and now I can work FT-8 again! The Flex users community comes through again.

73 de Dale K4DG

• 1351 Posts
  • 289 Reply Likes
You are welcome!

The upcoming WSJT-X 1.9 will have proper support for the new models. It is using the latest Hamlib library.

Dave wo2x

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.