Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

I am looking for a block diagram of FLEX - 6500.

haruo
haruo Member
When applying for an extension license of FLEX - 6500 in Japan, a block diagram with device name written for each block is required.
Is this block diagram on the Internet?

Answers

• haruo
    haruo Member
    edited August 2018
    Dear Paul
    Thanks for your comment.
    When using a foreign-made communication device in Japan, it is necessary to attach a block diagram in which the part name is written to the license application. For example, the part name of 100 W PA should be written like MRF 41 × 2. So we need part names such as FPGA and ADC. License at a Japanese-made communication machine is easy, but obtaining a license for a foreign-made communication machine requires very much energy.
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Take the basic block diagram and photoshop it to what you need and the verbage requied then resave it after converting to whatever document type you need. Then put the contact number for flex radio on it so they can verify the info if they want to.
  • VK7WH Winston
    VK7WH Winston Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Hello Haruo, There is a more detailed block diagram somewhere. When researching the Flex back in 2014 I can remember seeing a much larger block diagram with a lot more information on it. I will do my best to see if I can find it. In the meantime, perhaps your best bet might be to email FlexRadio directly, as I am sure there would be other Japanese Hams already on the air using Flex 6500s GL Winston
  • Frank  WA3NHK
    Frank WA3NHK Member
    edited August 2018

Hello Haruo,

Here is part of your answer.  I found this information in a discussion thread on this forum a couple of years ago.  I recall the person seemed very knowledgeable as he was a long-term Elmer here on the forum. 

FPGA -  Xilinx XC6VLX75T
    TI processor - TMS320C6A8167

Unfortunately, I don't have any information on the ADC and DAC.

As a side note, the 6700 uses the same TI part, but the FPGA is a  XC6VLX130T.  My assumption is that the larger FPGA is needed to implement two independent SCUs without having to use a different board layout.

Side note No. 2....at the time I learned this information the FPGA was selling for $1047 in quantity!

I hope this helps.

73.....Frank

• Craig Williams
    Craig Williams Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Part of the new trade wars?
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018

@Craig

Actually this is a very good example of hidden trade barriers that prevent US Made Goods free entry into foreign markets which allegedly have Free Trade with the USA..

So companies such as ICOM can ship their products into the USA without such barriers but Flex has to pass such hidden barriers to be sold in Japan.   The EU also has similar hidden barriers - such as complex EU Certification and 20% VAT whereas the USA has very simple self certification process for type acceptance.

The New Trade Wars are an attempt to level the playing field so USA goods and services can be sold in foreign countries with the same rules as their local goods.

• HCampbell  WB4IVF
    HCampbell WB4IVF Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019

The 6500 and 6700 use the Analog Devices  AD9467 ADC.  There is more information in the Hardware Reference Manual (such as specs and a couple more diagrams).  Also, Flex might be able to give you additional parts ID’s if you ask them for specifics.  All this could be added to the diagram, or used to supplant the diagram, with the help of Power Point, etc.  Between info that was provided here, the Hardware manual, and additional info that Flex might provide, you might well be able to construct your own diagram to satisfy your authorities.

Howard

• Jon_EA2W
    Jon_EA2W Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I don ́t think this is a case of hidden trade barriers. Having a block diagram of what you purchase shall be mandatory for a 5000$+ radio. The secrets of the design will not be discovered by such a block diagram.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018

@Jon
    In a previous life, my companies have sold products in the EU and I am quite familiar with hidden trade barriers  especially in the EU...

Many high end electronic devices do not provide such block diagrams for good competitive reasons.

However, Flex has actually published several simplified block diagrams such as provided in the link above.

I would suggest that perhaps you might not be aware about the vagaries of international trade where demands by local authorities for detailed documentation ends up with that documentation in the hands of local competitors to the USA Company.  Personally had a number of product designs stolen that way.
  • Jon_EA2W
    Jon_EA2W Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    @Howard

I don´t doubt what you say about hidden trade barriers, I deal with it everyday in my job too. I think every part of the world has some kind of trade barriers and the US is also in the pack. I would suggest that perhaps you might not be aware of the US trade barriers because you didn´t need to deal with them...

Anyway, in my previous message I just said that requesting a block diagram of a radio is not a hidden trade barrier, just my humble opinion. If someone wants to copy or steal an electronic board design, they just need to buy, open and check the design with their eyes. Electronics hardware is very easy to copy, what is not so easy is the software. That´s why Flex and others keep their source code secret.

Best regards,

Jon, EA2OT
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Hi Harou,

The information you need is on this "preliminary" document.

https://people.freebsd.org/~wpaul/FLEX-6000.pdf

This assumes the 6500 was built with these devices.  A block diagram is provided as are the key part numbers.  The final PA transistors are "100W push-pull pair of RD100HHF1 MOSFET transistors" quoted from the N5PA website
    https://www.n5pa.com/ham.flex6000.php

who also had the link to the "preliminary" datasheet.  A great website!!!

The RF preamp part number is also provided.
    A part number for the  Log Power Detector as part of the PA is shown. This seems the foundation of APD ! 

Any other help we can provide please ask...  
    The 6500 is a very nice radio, I can not imagine a better one, expect a dual SCU (two independent units).

Good DX

Tim // k3Tim / 7

add RF diagram:
    http://wiki.flexradio.com/index.php?title=RF_Signal_Flow_Diagrams

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.