Now, after months of having a stable system, I am back to not being able to reliably get SmartSDR(v2.1.32) to connect to my rig. Indeed, it is only every once in a while that it will connect. SmartSDR just hangs, and I have uninstalled and reinstalled everything, booted in 101 different sequences, tried static IP addresses, rebooted the network, disconnected access points, and maybe some other things, but it is only occasionally that I can get the rig connected. SmartSDR just hangs and, when running fixed IP, says "Unable to connect to the radio." Clicking OK, ends the program but leaves it hanging in Task Manger so you can't try again. After ending it in Task Manager, it still can't be restarted. When the IP is not fixed, then I get a message that the program is not responding Note, I am connecting by wi-fi, and I am keeping it simple and not running DAX or CAT when I try to connect.
I guess the solution is going to be that I put some holes in the walls and run directly to the router, but it was working so well before and I am not even sure that is the solution. If you have any suggestions, I am all ears.
Forgive my venting, but I am totally frustrated. I am not sure if I should be more annoyed with Flex or MS, but I am tired of playing computer engineer instead of radio. I had this problem before and spent hours with Tim and thought it was resolved when I reconfigured my network correctly but I guess that wasn't the issue either.
Thanks for any help and for letting me rant.
PS, Everything else on the PC is working fine.
I know this part doesn't help you but I am running the same configuration with my 6500 with no problem at all. Have you read the release note for 2.1.32? It mentions that there is a change to how the MAC is defined in the radio which could cause some network issues.
I would uninstall 2.1.32 after backing up all your profiles. I would go to your appdata/roaming/flexradio systems folder and delete the SSDR.settings file. Also go to the C:\ProgramData\FlexRadio Systems\SmartSDR\Updates directory and make sure the 2.1.32 file has been removed. Then reboot.
Power off your radio. remove power to radio. Then reinstall 2.1.32. As a safetly precaution, reboot after installing 2.1.32.
Then, power back up the radio and start 2.1.32 and see if it finds the radio.
Let us know how it goes!
I do have some progress to report. Reading some of the posts here made me realize that the one thing I had not done to this point was a hard reset on the rig, I ran Revo with a deep scan (boy is that handy and easy), reinstalled all, and then did a hard reset back to factory defaults . Lo and behold, I was able to reconnect. I think that may be the solution though there still seems to be some strangeness still where the rig, on power up, cuts off my internet connection. Seems if I power cycle the rig after the network connection is re-established , the software finds the rig at the right IP address. Otherwise it's looking at some strange, I guess, default IP. I have been able to get on 4 times now, though I check to see what IP the software is looking at before I start SmartSDR. If I do start SmartSDR when it's pointing to the wrong IP, it seems to get stuck with no way out but to power cycle rig and PC. If I discover anything else, I will share. And again, thanks.
Like several others here, I do frequent image backups on my W10 PC (used to do the same on W7 Pro and previous versions). Very easy to do and has saved me countless hours of frustration over the years. No need to reinstall software – just reload the image and presto, the clock turns back to the good old days.......