Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Hurrican Irma effects

Ernest
Ernest Member ✭✭
edited August 2018 in SmartSDR for Windows

As you know Hurricane Irma struck; the Northwestern side of Florida. 
My family and I evacuated by order of the Governor and the County officials. 
Our resident is in Northeastern, Florida on the Atlantic Ocean side.
Upon returning to Amelia Island IOTA: NA-138 (aka Fernandina Beach.) I was surprised to see that I was coming home to a house and not an aquarium.
The effects to our home were minimal. We lost electrical power for a day (as I was told by those that stayed) and no telephone or internet service for a week. 
However, my Hy-Gain HT-18 Hy-Toward was nowhere to be seen, until I walked to the backyard. 
There she was; lying on top of several trees sheared off the mounting insulators posts. 
I thought these insulators would withstand 75 plus mile/hour. However, the island had higher gusts.
Now I am looking forward to upgrade my 6700 and catch up with family and friends.
Ps. yes I took the F-6700 and Maestro to Georgia just in case!

Comments

• Ed, K0KC
    Ed, K0KC Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Ernest,

The tower can be replaced...at least you are safe!

Ed, K0KC
  • Justin W4JTD
    Justin W4JTD Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Wow glad you and your family are safe! This is very interesting, I have the same antenna. I got it instead of something with a higher wind load because my QTH pretty regularly has wind in the 75-100 mph range. So far (4 years) it has held up well, but my mount looks a little different than the one in your photo. I too have the insulator mounts (essentially plastic) and I wondered how they would hold up, but so far so good. In your pic it looks like the tower itself held up well, maybe just some new insulators and a re-mount? Again, glad you didn’t have any worse damage and your family is safe. Best of luck in your antenna repair, and maybe a good excuse for an upgrade hi hi 73 Justin
  • Ernest
    Ernest Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Thank you Ed and Justin we are safe and sound.
    I am a member of NCARES and last week I volunteered to go out and survey some areas of the county for FEMA.  We found many homes nearby that suffer severe flooding's, missing roofs, HV AC power lying in water and close to living quarters. And  elderly persons in need of food, and  generators to run their oxygen machines.

• Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Hi Ernest,

Living in Colorado I have to admit that the devastation seems surreal.  I mean during the time all of you were evacuating and others were struggling we were enjoying 85 degree sunny days.

It was hard to remember that this was going on not only in your state but in other parts of the islands.

After watching the second hurricane roar in my wife and I sought out and donated clothes, food, money.  I think we've spent close to $3000 so far between the donations and the cash.  I am hopeful it is helping.  

This year Uncle Sam will hit our family hard tax wise so I wish I could have done more.

I look forward to hearing you on the air as soon as possible.

Mark - WS7M
  • Ernest
    Ernest Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Thank you Mark

By the way that black wire crossing over the tower was my 20 meter dipole; it wrap it self around the nearby trees and I was not able to disentangle it. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.