Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

HT running SmartSDR (would be very neat)

rfoust
rfoust Member ✭✭
edited April 2020 in New Ideas
I'm surprised this hasn't happened yet.  Think about it, a HT that basically looks like a smartphone (iphone/samsung form factor) running Android, with two panadapters for 2m/440.  Touchscreen interface to pinch/zoom/scroll the bands and who knows what other features.  

Wonder how hard it would be to get the 6000 technology into such a small device? If this product were on the horizon, I'd pre-order right now. :-)

-Robbie

Comments

• Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    ... hope Flex guys are bussy with more meaningful things.
  • Tom Hoflich
    Tom Hoflich Member
    edited March 2015

Actually, I think that it has happened.

I have posted this before.  The Dell venue 8 pro runs SmartSDR very well and only costs $199 on sale (regular $299 from Dell). It is a full Windows 8 machine and even includes Office.

The largest smartphone that I know has a 6 inch screen.  This is 8 but I would have trouble using a screen of less than about 8 inches.  There is a lot of stuff on the screen.

Lenovo also makes one that is almost identical.

Anyway, take a look.  I got mine at Staples.

73, Tom KM5H

• Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    I think Robbie is referring to an actual radio, not a device to run a client on.
  • Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019

Robbie,

That has already been done by Kenwood 15 years ago!

I did this with a TS-2000 and their 2/440 HT. However, I live in California and it is difficult to control the radio.  No line of sight, no talkie. 

• rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Yeah I'm talking about a touchscreen handheld 2-meter + 440 handie-talkie running android (and if it is done in software, why limit to those 2 bands?).  And no, this has not been done yet.  At least not the way I envision it in my head.

My "dream HT requirements":

1) Digital at RF (like the 6000 series)
    2) Multi-touch screen (like smartphones are now)
    3) Runs Android (because iOS isn't available and not open source)
    4) Ability to install 3rd party apps from android store.
    5) Ability to install 3rd party apps which can access the RF spectrum (like SmartSDR API, I guess)
    6) WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS capability (probably built in to most chipsets now anyway)
    7) Decent GPU for real-time panadapters, with pinch/zoom, etc.
    8) Ability to access/control 6000 series via WiFi when on local network.  Or even remotely, why not?
    9) Internal antenna, no rubber duck.  This thing needs to fit in my pocket.

This dream-device would probably cost a fortune to design, but that's why I call it a dream-device.  If Flex built this device, I'd use it more than my iPhone.  Not sure the cost-to-design is worth it though, not sure what the market is for HT's, but I guess it isn't negligible or nobody would make them.

This is just a brainstorm thread, nothing more, nothing less. I'm surprised at the amount of criticism to an "idea thread".

-Robbie

• rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Another feature for this device.  People use Dual-VFO HT's to work satellites, so why not implement this in software?  Software could handle adjusting the VFO receive/transmit frequency automatically based on satellite position. No HT does this right now.

I have tons of ideas.  Lets do this. ;)

-Robbie

Edit: OK another idea.  Somebody buys this device and they don't have their license yet.  When they first turn it on, it says "Do you have an amateur radio license yet?" They select "No."  So the device tutors them every day for 30/60 days.  They can read the material and answer test questions directly on the device until they learn it.  Then it tells them where they can go locally to take the test (by using the GPS locator built in).
  • rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    So this is kind of what I had in my head 5 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyomIrTCzEs

-Robbie

• AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Yep lots of networked radios these days!
    As long as an emp is not there we are good to go.
  • mikeatthebeach .
    mikeatthebeach . Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    You have it already
      SmartSDR IOS on an iPhone for HF use !
    73 Mike

• Justin W4JTD
    Justin W4JTD Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    With a 6700 and an inverter for 70cm (or 2 inverters for all the other signature series radios) , you can easily do this with SSDR for iOS on 2M and 70cm. But I get that Robbie’s idea is an actual HT with touch screen interface. ;-)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.