Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

HRD with a FLEX 6500- help!

James Kennedy-WU5E
James Kennedy-WU5E Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Hello Flex well I gave up on FLDIGI and using HRD latest release now, I hope someone using this on FLEX 6500 and win 7 everything works. I need a little help. My current setup is com 6 for connection to HRD and PTT to Com 8 for DM780. SmartCAT SDR V 1.2.2.0 see both the HRD and digital master and Receive is good but Transmit is not working. any help is appreciated

Answers

• Dudley-WA5QPZ
    Dudley-WA5QPZ Inactive Employee
    edited March 2018
    The basic setup for FLDigi will apply to HRD . Just to double check, SmartCAT is reporting radio connection is Com 6 and you PTT is reports as Com 8 , and you remember if you had set. RTS or DTR or maybe both for TX . You can easily test the TX keying, just bring up DM780 by itself , click TX or CQ in PSK31 , should key the transmitter in either DIgU. Or USB. On the DAX side, just have the sound out of DM780 set to the DAX TX channel you have enabled for receive.
  • James Kennedy-WU5E
    edited June 2020
    Once delete the comports from smartcat and rebuilt them everything started working! Now to make this radio do some double duty WU5E
  • Ed baker
    Ed baker Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    OK another suggestion is : USE Ddutility ver. 3.0.4.15 it has in it's setup under features HDR Apps. Check to enable. This allows you to run DM-780 and that configured port PTT along with The flex CAT . PTT is instantaneous. Frequency control is what it should be. And all this is done not using the Ham radio Deluxe Radio control program. Create the Virt PTT port with the Flex smart SDR cat The Log book reads the frequency . Summary : DDUtil. Smart CAT DM-780 Log Book DAX in and out **** City Credit to WO2X for this marvelous find.
  • Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    My findings: There is no need to use DDUtil for anything, with your present setup. My installation is similar as yours except that I'm using a F6.7K. Best advice I can give you is: One if you have previously install VSPManager, remove it from your system. Two, delete DDUtil and simply use Smart CAT. If you like further help, contact me off line at my QRZ.COM address. I will be glad to help you. Ps. make sure you do not have multiple installation of Smart software and again; delete all zombies VSPManager comport and DDUtil. Finally install MiniDeluxe to run with HRD.
  • James Kennedy-WU5E
    edited June 2020
    OK Fellows thanks for all the advice , well all I had to do was delete all the comports in smartcat and then start over it took 30 sec and HRD was working and JT65 and everything now. case closed
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    Reason NP2G and I are using DDUtil is sharing CAT info between several programs, amp, and auto tuner. Another advantage of using DDUtil is it includes and IP server for running HRD logbook and DM780 without running Ham Radio Deluxe. HRD is very "chatty" with CAT commands back and forth to SmartSDR. DDUtil IP server is much less "chatty". I agree to uninstall everything, reboot, then Tim's advice on cleaning out orphaned com ports. Once done reinstall SmartSDR and set up the com ports again.
  • Ed baker
    Ed baker Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    As listed by WO2X when he says much less chatty I say NO DROP OUTS . A good thing at this QTH . The Flex 6500 is fantastic in this mode . DAX is the best .
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Questions for the gang... 1) Is there an advantage to identifying a PTT COM port vs having PTT as a CAT command? Seems easier to use one port instead of two. 2) If SmartCAT is running, why would DDUtil be necessary? I use SmartCAT to share CAT information and control between several programs (Fldigi, WSJT-X, Log4OM) and SSDR now. Seems to work okay. Is this more a preference thing based on the richness of the DDUtil interface (got to admit, it's cool!)? Thanks! Geo
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    Here's my take on your question: 1) Com port PTT usually has a quicker T/R turnaround than using CAT PTT. So yes, Com port PTT is the way to go. 2) If you can interface everything you need with SmartSDR CAT only then no need for DDUtil. I use DDUtil to get CAT into to external hardware, specifically Alpha 9500 and Palstar AT-Auto. That way when I band change the tuner and amp are already adjusted without applying any RF. Very helpful when running remote. Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.