Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

HRD 6.2 LATENCY V. SMART SDR 1.4 ON FLEX 6300

Mark Gottlieb
Mark Gottlieb Member
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR CAT
I do have functionality with HRD and SMARTSDR 1.4 with my FLEX 6300 which I just set up.  Also WSJTX software is also working using HRD as the CAT control.  However, I am sometimes experiencing latency as much as a second or two when I begin a transmission or when the transmission is over where it takes a second or two to return back to RX mode.  Anyone have an ideas about this?

Answers

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    Hi Mark, Check out DDUtil if you have several programs and devices that need to share the radio CAT info.

Or if you just need HRD Logbook and DM780 integration check out Mini Deluxe.

Search the Community here as there are several posts with step by step instructions. The reduction in latency with either of these two solutions is big!

Dave, wo2x

• Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    What  version of HRD and are you using a comm port for PTT or CAT Command (the default)?

• Mark Gottlieb
    Mark Gottlieb Member
    edited April 2017
    I have MiniDeluxe from my FLEX 3000 days but it does not seem to play well with HRD 6.2.  The computer is dedicated to the radio and the only other software open, besides SMART SDR and HRD, would be WSJTX or chrome.  
  • Mark Gottlieb
    Mark Gottlieb Member
    edited April 2017
    I am using, currently, HRD 6.2.72.294.  I think I am not using a COM PORT for PTT.  I am using Ham Radio Deluxe for PTT.
  • Mark Gottlieb
    Mark Gottlieb Member
    edited April 2017
    When I use MiniDeluxe instead of the HRD radio pane, the PSK transmission, while beginning with no latency, only puts out a very weak RF signal and does not automatically return to RX when the message is over.  What can I adjust to fix this problem?
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Mark

I dont think that is your problem. If you send me an email at nealk3nc@gmail.com I will connect to your system and see whats happening

• David Decoons, wo2x
    edited June 2020
    Hi Mark,

Neal is the master and should get you running. But just in case....

There is a new version of Mini Deluxe that is compatible with HRD 6.2.

You can download it from https://www.dropbox.com/s/qxa52ml2eh6ham4/MinideluxeHRD6_2.zip
    In SmartSDR CAT make sure you have a dedicated port pair for MiniDeluxe. Unzip and launch MiniDeluxe and select the lower com port number of the dedicated port pair. Click Save.

Also for PTT, in SmartSDR CAT create a port pair for PTT and select RTS. Make sure HRD, HRD Logbook, and DM780 are closed.

Open HRD Logbook and DM780. DO NOT open the main HRD program. Both HRD Logbook and DM780 should show radio frequency/mode. In DM780 program options under PTT, select via PTT Serial Com port. Enter the lower com port number of the PTT pair you created in SSDR CAT. Select RTS.

RX/TX transitions should be MUCH faster now and frequency updates & clicking on spots should be quicker.

Dave, wo2x

• Mark Gottlieb
    Mark Gottlieb Member
    edited April 2017
    Downloaded new MiniDeluxe and problem persists.  I did create new Port Pairs, in SDR CAT, transmission sometimes begins but there is no RF coming out of the radio as the message is being "transmitted" in HRD.  New  MiniDeluxe still says "PowerSDR" at top of the tab.  Is that what I should be seeing on the new MiniDeluxe version.  Of course, I deleted the old version via the Control Panel uninstall program utility.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited June 2020
    Hi Mark,

Yes, mine says PowerSDR. I just tested with the new HRD 6.29. Running Mini Deluxe, HRD Logbook, and DM780 the T/R turnaround is quick and RF out is almost instant (no missed data).

Is it possible your PC can have hidden com ports from older programs such as VSPManager or VSPE? Sometimes if those programs are uninstalled without first deleting the virtual ports it can cause problems.

Shut down all apps. Delete all com port pairs from SmartSDR CAT. Open any other virtual com port software and delete any com ports. Uninstall the other virtual com port programs if you have any installed. Reboot.

Follow the instructions on this page to show hidden com ports and delete them. Reboot.

Run SmartSDR CAT to create the dedicated and PTT port pairs again. The lower port numbers are the ports to connect to other programs.

Start the main HRD program and select Flex/SmartSDR and enter the port number for one of the dedicated pairs. Once it is started, start HRD Logbook and DM780. Make sure frequency info is showing. Close HRD, HRD Logbook, and DM780.

Start Mini Deluxe and choose the port number you used in HRD. Now start HRD Logbook and DM780 and try it out.

Dave, wo2x
  • Mark Gottlieb
    Mark Gottlieb Member
    edited April 2017
    Yes,  I thought the same thing and there were the two virtual COM ports remaining from my FLEX 3000.  I opened VSPMgr and deleted them.  The only COM Ports are the ones created by SMART SDR CAT. However, the old virtual com ports are still showing in the HRD Serial Port "Connect" Utility.  They do not show in VSPMgr.  You refer to a page to follow instructions but there is no link below that.  Do these Virtual Ports still exist as far as HRD is concerned?
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited June 2020
    Duh. Been a LONG day. Was up late fixing our 9-1-1 system...

http://www.digi.com/support/kbase/kbaseresultdetl?id=3308
  • Mark Gottlieb
    Mark Gottlieb Member
    edited April 2017
    Thanks.  Ok.  The only ports showing are the LPT1, Communications Port (COM1) and the two Flex Radio Ports created by SmartSDR CAT.  However, HRD still displays the old serial ports ELTIMA software virtuals that were generated with VSPMgr for the FLEX 3000 in the "CONNECT" utility which one sees when first starting HRD..  Can't delete those but there is no infrastructure in the computer to back what is listed.  At least by using the Device Manager as you suggested with this link.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited June 2020
    Hi Mark

Check this site out which explains how to remove remnants from VSPManager (Eltima VSPD).
    http://un-install.info/14353/uninstall-eltima-virtual-serial-port-driver.html

Feel free to contact me off list if you want. I can shoot you my phone number.

Dave, wo2x
    wo2x AT arrl DOT net

• Mark Gottlieb
    Mark Gottlieb Member
    edited April 2017
    Dave,

Neal showed me this web site, when he was correcting my problem, that has the MniDeluxe utility with a check box for SmartSDR. 
    https://github.com/krisp/MiniDeluxe/releases

And yes, thanks to all because my problem is completely solved.  Just FYI...when using MiniDeluxe HRD can not be open at the same time as WJSTX since they are both trying to communicate with the same COM Port.  As a result, neither will work.

73's

Mark
    WA2DIY
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited June 2020
    Glad to hear u got it working Can you create another dedicated cable pair for the other program? Or just create a shared pair that all software programs can use to share CAT data. Dave, wo2x
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited June 2020
    By the way, do you subscribe to the W2 incoming QSL bureau? If so I am your incoming QSL manager for the W2 bureau. Dave
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    CAT has always caused me problems with proper timing of the PTT.   This is why you should shift to using PTT via COM port.   Create a PTT COM Port in SmartSDR and check RTS/DTS in addition to the CAT port that already exists.   Set your apps to use CAT to read and set frequency, etc.  But in addition to that,  setup your apps to use the PTT COM Port for PTT instead of PTT via CAT.   Your timing issues will instantly disappear.   I do this with HRD, FLDigi, MultiPSK, EasyPal, WSJT-X, WSPR, RMS Express, literally everything.   This will solve your problem.
  • Mark Gottlieb
    Mark Gottlieb Member
    edited October 2016
    Since both programs are funneling through the same interface, HRD MiniDeluxe, it would be awkward to keep changing the COM Port on Mini Deluxe just to have both programs open.  Also, DM780 has to be completely exited , clicking on File then Exit, because it can run in the background event though its window is technically closed.  So, I found that even though I closed the DM780 window it was still processing and, thus, preventing WJSTX from operating properly.  
  • Mark Gottlieb
    Mark Gottlieb Member
    edited April 2017
    You are correct.  That is how the problem was fixed along with the updated HRD minideluxe that is compatible with SmartSDR.  Thanks

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.