How to set up a PR-781 with the FLEX-6000

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
Keith Pawley and others with PR-781, PR22 & Pr20...
Here is a picture of the settings I use on my 6500 with Heil PR22UT, which I am told is similar in response to the PR781. In any case, it is a good starting place. Your own voice and application will require slightly different settings.

I use the BAL XLR connector in the back with +20 dB activated.

For Rag Chew, I have TX bandwidth 100/2950 (I could go to 3000 but shave a little off so as not to encroach on the next group. I use compression anywhere between 30-60 depending upon conditions.

For weak signal, I shave the low end off at 200 or 230 for my particular voice, and sometimes even as high as 300. I make no additional adjustments to the TX EQ. On the high end, I may narrow it to 2700 or even 2500 but never below that to preserve enuncial articulation. And I may add some more compression. With release 1.05, I have run compression up to 90 with no problems. I will need to adjust things when the new software version comes out if they have altered anything in the audio chain.

The most important thing is that I watch my spectral display and try to make the low end and the high end about the same amplitude with a few slight dip about 500-1000 Hz. If you have too much low end, you will be muddy and hard to understand, too much high and you will be harsh and irritating. But in the pileup or contest, drop more bass and add some highs, but not too much or you will be hard to zero beat and people will constantly call you off frequency. BALANCE is the key. And be sure to listen to yourself in another receiver, preferably by recording yourself. The monitor is a help, but you will not hear what you really sound like to the other station because you will hear more through bone conduction in your head than through the speaker or headphones, and you will not take into effect the way the other station's filtering affects your sound.

Here is a screen shot of my mike and EQ settings.... Good Luck!

Note: This topic was created from a reply on the Great radio needs a great microphone!? topic.
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 3971 Posts
  • 1226 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Randy Diddel

Randy Diddel

• 43 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
BIAS on or off?  Also, I do not see the screen shot.  Sorry for such an easy question but I do not want to hurt the 781.

73  K5RHD

/randy
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 3971 Posts
  • 1226 Reply Likes
Here is a screenshot of what I am using right now with a PR-22 for Rag Chew Quality Voice.
For DX or weak signal, most of the time, all I do is bring the Low Cut filter to 200-215 and the High cut down to 2900, or sometimes 2800 and turn the Processor to DX+.  (Sometimes on Rag chew I have been known to go all the way to 3000 or a bit higher when the bands are not crowded.)  The exact limits will depend upon your own voice characteristics.

NO BIAS is needed with these mikes or any other dynamic mikes.  Bias is usually needed for inexpensive electret mikes, where the BIAS control sends a few volts to the mike pin on the front panel, or for expensive condenser mikes which need a "phantom" supply from a mixer or pro preamp.   The BIAS button does NOT send Phantom power to the BAL connector.

I didn't show the mike level, because that will depend upon your own voice.
Adjust that using the meter.

If you are wired directly to the BAL input, then turn the +20 dB ON.
(I am using a mixer to raise the signal level to line level and distribute it to three different rigs, so I turn the +20 OFF because it is unneeded at line levels.  The Mixer's response is flat, so it shouldn't color the EQ).

In any case.  This is a STARTING POINT.  You WILL need to adjust the EQ while watching your spectrum response, and listening to your own signal!  Record it on another receiver, don't just listen to yourself in the monitor.  It will not sound like you do on the air for two reasons.  1) the MON circuit is tapped before the actual transmitter and Compressor.  2) If you listen live via headphones, you will hear yourself via your own ears and bone conduction and it will not be true to what is in the other receiver.

It takes a little work to get these great radios sounding the best, but it is time well spent.
I have often received unsolicited compliments on my audio in BOTH rag chew and DX modes.
One Special event station stopped his busy run to say.. "You are 59 plus, and your audio is PERFECT."
This is what the 6000 series can do if your work with it!

BTW, the PR20 if almost exactly the same electrically as the PR22.  I understand that the PR781 is very similar, but with a bit more low end and better rejection off of the back and sides.

Good luck.

Ken - NM9P
6500 and 1500
PR-22UT Mike
Photo of Randy Diddel

Randy Diddel

• 43 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Thanks again Ken!

I will hook my KX3 up to a dummy load in the shack tomorrow and see how I sound.

73!

K5RHD

/randy