Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How to determine radio's IP address and UDP/TCP ports needed?

Arnie
Arnie Member ✭✭
edited March 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
Can anyone tell me how to determine what the IP address is that my 6500 is using as well as which UDP/TCP ports are needed? Tnx es 73 de Arnie W8DU

Answers

• Dave - WB5NHL
    Dave - WB5NHL Member ✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Click on Settings in SmartSDR->Radio Setup->General tab will show the IP assigned from your DHCP server (assuming a network connection). Otherwise it will show the IP being used for a direct connection. Regarding ports being used you'd need to do a port scan on the IP. However, this is all automatic using DHCP so I don't understand "needed"?
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    You can do a "netstat -n" from the Windows command prompt to see what UDP/TCP ports are open when the radio is running.
  • Arnie
    Arnie Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Thanks for the info. I am not at the radio presently, but can you tell me if I can set a static IP address for the radio or is it always necessary to have DHCP assign the address?
  • Dudley-WA5QPZ
    Dudley-WA5QPZ Inactive Employee
    edited March 2018
    For now you will need the DHCP to assign a IP address for the radio.
  • Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Most DHCP Servers in most routers will allow you to assign a fixed IP on lease if you tell the DHCP Server the MAC address of the radio. That way you can be sure that the radio will always have the same IP. Then if you wish to pursue the narrowing down of which ports the radio uses you can utilize something like WireShark to do a capture from that IP address. The MAC on a Flex 6000 starts with 50:56:63, so you can find the complete MAC address by using ARP from a command prompt. Simply look up the IP that has been assigned in the SmartSDR Radio Information Panel and then enter the following command in a Command (DOS for you oldies) Prompt. arp -a 10.0.0.125 C:>arp -a 10.0.0.125 Interface: 10.0.0.199 --- 0xd Internet Address Physical Address Type 10.0.0.125 50-56-63-a8-ba-e6 dynamic So the MAC is "50-56-63-a8-ba-e6" if you are doing this from another machine on the network and get the response of "No ARP entries found." then simply do a quick PING of the IP address to make communication: C:>ping 10.0.0.125 Pinging 10.0.0.125 with 32 bytes of data: Reply from 10.0.0.125: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64 Reply from 10.0.0.125: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64 Reply from 10.0.0.125: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64 Reply from 10.0.0.125: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64 Ping statistics for 10.0.0.125: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss), Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms and then redo the ARP request. You can then add the MAC address and assign an IP in your router DHCP server.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Currently there is no way to set a fixed IP address on the radio itself.
  • W8SJV
    W8SJV Member
    edited May 2014
    Also, if you happen to have an iPad or iPhone there is a really great free App called Fing from Overlook Soft that will scan your whole network including any 6000's. The utility will also perform a scan for ports on the 6000 as well. A wireless connection to your network is needed of course. I use this App often for troubleshooting networks. John

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.