Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How I interfaced my 6500 to my Quadra amp

Jon_KF2E
Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
edited April 2019 in New Ideas
In this earlier thread I was asked by John, NA6L to put together the steps I followed to get my Quadra amp to work with my 6500. I have placed a copy of the PDF I put together in my Dropbox public folder and you should be able to download a copy here. Most of this information is available in Steve Nance's great wiki for DDutil but perhaps consolidating it will help some get things working.

If anyone sees any errors or omissions you can email me directly at jhall at hallsweb.org.

Jon...kf2e

Comments

• Steve - K5FR
    Steve - K5FR Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Jon, thanks for the nice write-up. Also, might I suggest uploading it to the files section of the DDUtil Yahoo group reflector where it can be referenced easier and not tie up your Dropbox. I can do this for you if you like if you send me the file.
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Hi Steve,

I'll be happy to upload the file. Thanks for providing us with such a valuable tool as DDutil.

Jon...kf2e
  • John
    John Member
    edited June 2014

Jon, thanks for an  awesome piece of work!!

I have been busy building a new PC (mine was 8 years old),  I did add a serial port to the new build but now I'll also need to add a parallel port.  Because my soldering skills and equipment come to a screeching halt at the thought  of small wires and plugs I'll be looking for a source for an interface cable, possibly nearsighted Quadra owners can commission a few?    

Thanks again, John NA6L   

• Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited June 2014
    John,

Email me at my address listed at the end of the instructions and I'll try to help you get a cable.

Jon...kf2e
  • Steve - K5FR
    Steve - K5FR Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Thanks for the upload Jon. 73, Steve K5FR
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I have uploaded the instructions to the Yahoo forum for DDutil at this address. You can find it in the files section. I will leave it in my dropbox for now but it will likely be moved at some point.

Jon...kf2e
  • Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Jon I have not used my quadra due to lack of alc with the powersdr. I would run it everyonce in a while but watch the drive very carefully . Now with alc available with the 6000 question is the alc responsive with the flex 6500? I run a Alpha 8410 and several other solid state amps including the Sgc 500 which do not require alc. but would like to bring the quadra back online. Just wondering?
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Dale,

I don't run alc on my 6500 with my Quadra. I use DDutil so that it follows my radio and use autodrive to maintain my proper drive levels. I ran it this way on my 5000 before. I know there are those that swear you must use alc but I've never had a problem.

Jon...kf2e
  • Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Yes tell yaesu you do not run alc and they go crazy. I have run without alc on my flex 1000, 3000 and 5000 and oh yes my Orion I. I did have a watt meter that would catch over drive and disable the keying circuit. I do believe the quadra is stronger than the Tokyo high poer are. I did use alc with my 1000mp and the ft 2000 and it worked to a Tee.
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited June 2014
    I also use an LP100A on the output of my Quadra to protect it from an antenna mismatch. I primarily use a SteppIR which if I do something **** might not be tuned. If the SWR is mismatched the Quadra doesn't key. Between that and the drive levels being managed by DDutil I feel pretty good.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.