Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How dio I get SmartSDR to startup after power outage?

K2CM
K2CM Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I have setup my 6700 so that it automatically starts up after a power outage.  Works well....but, I cannot figure out how to automatically start SmartSDR after the outage.

I can certainly put SmartSDR into the startup cue; but, SmartSDR requires a mouse click to select the radio and start it up.

Remote control is working quite well here....but, if the power goes out, my remote is lost and must be manually started in my shack.

Any thoughts?

Answers

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Can you use VNC or RDP?
  • K2CM
    K2CM Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Alas, no.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018

I solved the problem by putting the SDR on a dedicated UPS. However if the power outage should "outlive" the capacity of the UPS I have the same problem as you.

Jim, K6QE

• rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Sounds like a command line option passed to smartsdr.exe would be useful for this, like pass it an option to auto-connect to a given serial number or something.  Not sure if that capability is already built in or not, but if not, that would be a useful feature to have.
  • K2CM
    K2CM Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    One of our requirements for our 3 remote systems is that the users cannot have access to the remote computer.  They can log in, use the radio, then log out.  That eliminates RPS and VNC, Teamviewer and the like.  A UPS is limited, as you mention.  In central NY our outages are few; but, when we have them they seem to last beyond UPS limits.

If I can get this issue solved I think I can get a 6700 authorized for our club/EMS facility.

Two of the systems use TS2000's and one has a 6700 (my QTH).  We want to replace the club TS2000 with a 6700.

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018

Perhaps thee is a way of putting dry contacts across the power switch and utilize an Internet-controlled iPIO to momentarily execute a closure across the switch terminals. It seems that people who design these radios put in remoting as an afterthought. I was very surprised the radio could not be soft-powered and that I have to supply remotable dry contacts to turn the radio on. Not very well thought out in my opinion.

Jim

• Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Can't you just short the remote on connector? If you didn't want to leave it this way in case of power fluctuations you could use a serial port on your computer to pull it to ground and turn it on.

Jon...kf2e
  • K2CM
    K2CM Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    The "remote on" connector is shorted and works like a charm! Buttttt....when the computer goes down and comes back up, I can start PowerSDR...can't select the radio, however.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020

Why not set up TeamViewer with access by control ops only? That way the general club members do not have access but you do. It's easy to set up password protection for the remote computers.

I maintain several computers for the family and I have access to all of them using TeamViewer.

Dave, wo2x

• K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Check out AutoIT.  It's small GUI orientated scripting language.  You can use it to write a script that will start SmartSDR and then select and connect to the 6700.  Set the script to run when the computer boots.  You could even get fancy and have it check to see that SmartSDR is running and if not running, start it up.
  • K2CM
    K2CM Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Wow! Thanks, will try it tomorrow!
  • rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Great suggestion, I completely forgot about AutoIT.  Don't think I've ever used it, but I know it exists.
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Remote operation with the 6700 for me is: Hardware (6xxx) is remote and Software (SSDR) runs on any PC anywhere ! No need to have SSDR runing at remote.

That is the goal and that's why i buy an 6xxx !

NO teamviewer, NO skype, NO any other software for basic remote operation at remote side.

I only want have access via LAN/WAN to my hardware.
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

So much agree with this message and is the base for my concern of no remote CW support and no foreseeable support of COM supported (request-to-send) capability. 

Don't want to add a remote hardware keyer and its associated network control or discard the hand/bug/paddle with a keyboard either.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.