How can I operate the Flex 6000 on MARS using the 2G ALE MIL-STD & FED-1045 ?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Photo of Lance Lyman

Lance Lyman

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9148 Posts
  • 3467 Reply Likes
There are two basic requirements; a digital mode program that supports 2G ALE MIL-STD & FED-1045 and a radio that will transmit on the MARS frequencies.  For the later, you have to submit a HelpDesk support ticket requesting your radio be modified to transmit on the MARS frequencies that includes valid proof that you are currently a MARS member in good standing (an image of your MARS license).  Then we can issue you a radio specific unlock key.  For the former, I think that you will need PCALE.  It is configured just like any other sound card based digital mode program with SmartSDR using DAX for digital audio transfer and SmartSDR CAT for rig control.
Photo of Vaughn

Vaughn

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I just received a call back from Tech support stating that MARS operation for the 6300 is not possible and that it is only available on the 6500 or 6700. Is this true? I have been seriously considering the 6300 but, if I cant use if for MARS, it is a non starter.

Many Thanks,
Vaughn N2BHA
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9148 Posts
  • 3467 Reply Likes
Yes, the information you received is correct.  Please refer to this previous Community post
https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/mars-for-flex-6300
Photo of K2CB Eric Dobrowansky

K2CB Eric Dobrowansky

• 208 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes

Each time I see this question arise, my curiosity wants to know - What is the limiting factor? Aren't the MARS frequencies within a few hundred kilohertz of the ham bands?   The radio is so limited that it can't go a few hundred either side of the normal band limits?

Eric

K2CB

(Edited)
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9148 Posts
  • 3467 Reply Likes
The FLEX-6300 transmitter was designed to transmit and meet emission standards within the IARU designated ham bands for 160-6m.  Not all MARS frequencies are near the ham bands so there is not adequate PA filter overlap to maintain emission compliance.
Photo of KK9W - Steve

KK9W - Steve

• 632 Posts
  • 189 Reply Likes
I believe that it is not "type accepted" to operate out of band.