Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How you can access your Radio over the Internet (WAN) TODAY

Comments

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    What can I say? I use logmein on my iPhone, and I hear the audio with perfect clarity and I see the panadapter just as though I was sitting in the shack. I am using Verizon LTE/4G/3G.
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    Stu Phillips - K6TU Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    The Universe moves in mysterious ways. Excellent! Stu K6TU
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Jim, do you talk on it too? There is a very real, perhaps subtle difference between what Stu is saying and you are. Stu is running one small app talking directly to the radio you are shipping the entire desktop to your iPhone. Stu is moving way less bits down the wire.
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    edited August 2016
    Shhhhhh! You are giving away some of my competitive edge!
    Stu K6TU Very ;-)
  • W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I guess my question was not clear: Using VPN how do I access the 6700 only? Or do I totally misunderstand VPN?
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    edited August 2016
    Dave, With the the VPN the computer with you remotely from the home station appears on the same network "virtually" and so you can run the same software as you do at home... On the laptop with almost the same performance characteristics as you have at home ASSUMING YOUR HOME HAS A GOOD INTERNET LINK. the amount of data to move is less, the responsiveness of the software is pretty much what you get at home. There is nothing wrong with LogMeIn or the other remote access solutions but they will tend to consume more bandwidth and be less responsive. Stu K6TU Ps. You can also run CAT on the same remote computer and use the login program on your remote computer as well.
  • W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Stu thanks for being a mentor, along with the rest of you guys. But I DO NOT know how to use VPN once it is connected. Am I supposed to see the server desktop? Do I start SmartSDR as if it were on the local LAN? Is VPN just an extension of the LAN at home?Excuse my ignorance!
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    edited August 2016
    Dave,

With the the VPN solution I described, you connect the VPN client on your remote (as in with you remotely :-) and then run SmartSDR just like you would at home.

The radio will show up in the radio chooser display of SmartSDR and you just connect, enable remote audio and you are done.

You don't need to connect to your Remote Desktop (as in the one at home :-) unless you want to.

Think of the VPN as a very thin and long virtual Ethernet cable connected to your Cat's tail back at home. You pull on the VPN and the Cat in your shack meows... Now think of it without the cat! With apologies to Albert ;-)

Stu
    K6TU

PS. You have forgotten more about EME than I will ever learn. Networking is my EME - familiar and a tool to solve problems.

• W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Stu, thank you. That really clears things up. I'm sure more questions will follow though >:)
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    edited August 2016
    Questions are the seeds of knowledge....

:-)
    Stu K6TU
  • W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Wow! A new experience, I'm actually running my 6700 over VPN. This is as big a thrill as my first EME contact (well, almost).

Now I must go back and study all the data saving methods you guys talked about earlier.

• W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    A window opened on my client and said I should  "connect to the vPN Server's TCP listenet port directly, instead of using NAT Traversal.  To connect to the server by using TCP, a listener port on the VPN Server must be exposed to the internet by a port forwarding setting on the NAT box".

I had early on set port forwarding on the home router to forward port 5555.  Do I need to do more with the router?
  • W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Just made my first QSO ever using 6700 over VPN, FK8DD on 20 CW.

Lousy connection to Sprint on laptop, and Verizon at the server. 6700 network: Poor. Ha, no kidding.
  • W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Sprint on my laptop had a Ping of 240ms, Download of 2.03 Mbps, and Upload of 0.11 Mbps while I made this QSO. It was iffy, but I did it! This is going to work so good from my daughters' houses as they have fiber optics. Even an eighty year old man can learn new things.
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    edited August 2016
    Dave, If you email me off-community the manufacturer and model of your router, I can help you with the the configuration. My email address is good in the predictable places. Stu K6TU
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I have Complete, Smooth  Remote Station control now between Softether to run SSDR and Windows Remote Desktop Connection to control Rotator, Logbook and AMP and of course DDUTIL3 it is all possible. The DYNDNS host name configuration in Softether also comes in handy for connecting windows remote desktop. HamRadio sure has come a long way in the 20 years I have been involved.
  • Ali  9K2WA
    Ali 9K2WA Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I am doing the same here as well, controlling 3 radios 3 Amps and 5 antennas using GHE & DDutil, I am now in ZL land 9342 miles away from my home station, the Internet connection at the hotel is not very good, latency is between 391-426 ms with 1.22% packets drop rate, but still I have no problems operating remote so far.

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020

Hi, Stu,

I want to eat my words between OpenVPN, Softether, and Teamviewer. Having used Softether for a couple of days, I have to say the VPN is just fabulous. I am remoting my 6500 a hundred miles from my QTH in Pasadena. I swear, I cannot tell the difference if I am at Big Bear operating the Flex, or sitting in my shack in Pasadena. Thank you so much for bringing this FABULOUS piece of software to our attention.

Jim, K6QE

• Stu Phillips - K6TU
    edited August 2016
    Awesome!  Glad that you have it working.

I've used my radio remotely from all over the US - even from rural Ohio visiting family who don't have Internet.  The LTE service over my iPad was more than adequate to do the job - latency wasn't great but the throughput was there and very few dropped packets.

Using the TCP over SSL VPN in SoftEther is a big advantage as the use of TCP protects against lost, out of order etc packets.

BTW, in the SoftEther client, when setting up the connection, be sure to enable the option to allow SoftEther to use multiple TCP connections in parallel - that really helps too!

SoftEther rocks!
    Stu K6TU
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited June 2015

Another interesting thing about the VPN is that I also have a Flex 3000 tied to my Big Bear remote system. When I access the radio with Teamviewer from my Pasadena LAN I get a lot panorama latency. If I connect to the VPN and, then access Teamviewer I get much less latency and a much better panorama display.

Jim, K6QE

• Stu Phillips - K6TU
    edited August 2016
    I would guess that all the TeamViewer traffic goes through their servers - using a server in the middle is how they are able to handle firewalls without having to step the user through port forwarding logic.  

This is a BIG deal for the support market that TeamViewer serves - imagine trying to talk someone through that before you can fix their PC!

Going direct likely cuts out 50-100 mS of latency - hop to their servers, transit time through their server and then back out to the other end.

Their software is smart enough to know when the other machine is on the same network and then goes direct.

Thanks for the updated post - that's good to know too!
    Stu K6TU
  • Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2015
    I give, what is Big Bear? Google is not my friend.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited June 2015
    VPN is so great, I think it can solve the world hunger problem.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited June 2015

Big Bear is Big Bear Lake California. You can see my remote set up at QRZ.com

• Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2015
    Thanks, Google did not really fail me. I thought perhaps it was another esoteric software package.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited June 2015

I am sorry. Big Bear is a place everybody knows in So. Cal. Glad we cleared it up. 73

Jim, K6QE

• Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2015
    No problem, I'll bet you never heard of Chemung, Il 
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited June 2015
    Is that an esoteric software package?
  • Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2015
    I think that it is the crud between your toes...chemung.
  • DV
    DV Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Stu,

I don't have any trouble going into my router, setting fixed I.P.s, or forwarding ports, however my installation of SoftEther has not met with success. While your description references a link to the SoftEther site, the instructions there are not very straight forward... and once you get into the various setup windows there are many choices.  Apparently, there's a lot more to know when setting up the VPN configurations for the server and bridge... passwords etc.  Is it possible for you or anyone on the list, who has had success, to provide a step by step process for installing this version of VPN?  Or perhaps you would suggest that someone who does not have a lot of experience with VPN packeting not try this without someone who knows better to help?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.