Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How will a Maestro work within a multi Flex-6000 network?

Steve K9ZW
Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
edited February 2017 in SmartSDR for Windows

Reading the Maestro webpage, noticed Maestro software licensing "tethering" licenses between a specific Maestro instance and a specific Flex-6000.  Might be something added along the way, as I didn't notice this initially or in the fact sheet.

@FRS - How is this envisioned to work?

Wondering if the concept I had of a Maestro, Boomset, and Laptop "in a box" that I would take back and forth between my two main operating QTHs (one has a 6700 and the other a 6300) is compliant with the anticipated licensing scheme? 

Eventually I wanted to upgrade the 6300 to a second 6700, and then the "Human Interface Box" including the Maestro would also go traveling with the liberated 6300 for non-QTH operations.

I may be adding complexity with the multiple QTHs and Flex-6000s, but kind of expect that this won't be all that untypical for a fair number of Maestro users, especially with the transportability of the Maestro head.

Thanks and 73

Steve K9ZW 

Answers

• Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited February 2017
    The general concept for licensing is that the radio holds the license.  So if you upgrade the radio, any Maestro that comes in contact with that radio can run the software licensed for that radio when it's running on that radio.  So if you have, say v1.5, on your radio and Maestro and you go to your buddy's house and he has v2.0, your Maestro can upgrade to v2.0 and run on your buddy's radio.  When you return home, the Maestro will tell you that it will need to downgrade to run on your radio and so you will need to downgrade.

All of this has been comprehended in the Maestro software process -- the Maestro itself will contain up to some number (our first guess is 5) of software releases so that you do not have to go to the Internet in order to move between versions (after the initial download of the version).

We have not made any decisions yet on whether there will need to be a license to run multiple Maestros on one radio, but this should give you a sense of what we're doing on licensing with Maestro on one radio today.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.