Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How to use the REM ON (Remote On) RCA plug on Flex 6300

Roy Finch
Roy Finch Member
edited February 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Hi There,
Please can someone help? The REM ON (Remote On) RCA plug on the back of the FLEX-6300. I need some very simple to follow instruction on how I can use the REM ON RCA as I am a complete newbi to Flex and HAM Radio. How does the connection work? I have either the WEMo or the Global Cache iTach - TCP-IP to Contact Closure/Relay, So how do I get from a RCA cable plugged into the Flex to the RCA cable being connected to either of the afore mentioned?

Answers

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    It's just a closure. With the Wemo, you'll want to build a power supply and relay box (diagram is here on theCommunity - search). For the Global Cache, there are wire connections that provide a closure. Either way, make sure the function is set ON in your radio settings.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018

Eventually, if you want to remote everything from your computer in another room, or, eventually, over the Internet, you will need an Internet remote relay unit. It is addressable over the Internet and you remotely toggle this relay(s) on/off. Connect one of the relays to the remote input of the Flex and, when the relay is closed, the radio is turned on, opening the relay, the unit will turn off.

I was hoping that Flex could remote the power with software but, apparently since this hasn't been done; the above will be a requirement for full remote capabilities.

Jim, K6QE

• Roy Finch
    Roy Finch Member
    edited February 2015
    Thank you for all the reply I think I will be using theGlobal Cache option as it sounds more straight forward. So I just plug in the RCA and then close using the Global Cache, correct?

Roy M6RFZ
  • KD8TVB
    KD8TVB Member
    edited February 2015
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018

I am not familiar with Golden Cache. However if it runs on a PC that means you will need a PC next to the Flex. That sort of defeats the purpose of having a stand-alone remote. However, if it gives you a closure across the Remote input it would work.

JIm

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    The Global Cache Lives on your network. No PC required. You will need to open and forward ports and provide some sort of interface software (I use an iOS app called "Roomie."
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Sounds like the same thing I am using different mfg. Good luck.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018

The relay units are expensive. The A/C power control is much cheaper. Might be more economical to use a remote power unit and engergize a 120 VAC relay.

Jim

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I agree, Jim, for a single control, the Wemo is not as sexy, but works well. I also toggle the power to my remote antenna tuner, etc. That makes the Global Cache (or equivalent) the option here. I started out with the WeMo - it is quite effective.
  • KD8TVB
    KD8TVB Member
    edited September 2018
    imageimage Wemo app is free, works LAN/WAN... iOS or Android
  • Roy Finch
    Roy Finch Member
    edited February 2015

ok great to see so much feedback, I took delivery of the Global Cache IP2CC iTach TCP/IP to Contact Closure (Relay) today, I am fine with the network setup side of things but still unclear how this connects to the 6300.

Am I correct in saying I connect a standard RCA plug into the back of the 6300 and then connect the two wires from the RCA plug into the back of the Global Cache IP2CC iTach TCP/IP to Contact Closure (Relay)?  If this is correct does it matter which wire goes into which connector on the Global Cache IP2CC iTach TCP/IP to Contact Closure (Relay).

Roy

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018

You are correct. To ease your concern, buy a  RCA audoio cable cable, **** one end so the shield and center conductor are exposed. Plug the phone plug into the remote input. Touch the two exposed ends together and you will see the radio turns on. Remove the short, and you will see the radio turns off. What you did is what the relay will do remotely.

Jim, kQE

• Roy Finch
    Roy Finch Member
    edited February 2015

Hi Jim,

Thank you for putting my mind at ease.

Roy

• Roy Finch
    Roy Finch Member
    edited February 2019

Ok heads up, and on to the next chapter. I have the Global Cache IP2CC iTach TCP/IP to Contact Closure (Relay) all setup and working on the internal network. I am using as suggested the roomie remote to control the Global Cache IP2CC iTach TCP/IP to Contact Closure (Relay).

Now how do I get all this to work from the internet i.e. get the roomie to talk to the Global Cache IP2CC iTach TCP/IP to Contact Closure (Relay) over the internet. can this be done using NAT and PAT on the broadband router/firewall, if so what ports are used and can I point the roomie to a DNS record/URL?

Not finding much out there on the internet ref the above setup. If possible I do not want to use a VPN back to the home network.

Thanks in advance

Roy

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Can you give me the URL where I can download the software PC for the WEMO?
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I believe the port to forward is 4498.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Jim
    It only works via apps on iOS and Android Devices

NO WINDOWS
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Is it possible to control this device over the Internet rather than just over the LAN?
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I control my 3 WEMO's via my WEMO iPhone and iPad Apps over the Internet
    Very Reliable and easy to setup and use.

Being able to remotely reboot radios and computers saved my **** numerous times when traveling internationally..

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Yes. That's what I do. Port forwarding allows remote access from anywhere. It helps to set the unit up with a fixed IP address in your home LAN first (use the MAC address to set an IP assignment in your router's DHCP assignments). Then you can use your external IP address (from your ISP) and port setting to configure Roomie or another compatible application. 

BTW, the Mac toggle is via a Wemo here. Both devices on the same menu!

• KD8TVB
    KD8TVB Member
    edited February 2015
    Tried the WEMO maker device? I had used a arduino board, but required a pc... WEMOs rock, because of you I have 4 now
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015

How do you use the WeMo over the Internet other than just over the LAN? No one will seem to ever answer this question. Thank you.

Jim

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    When used up the WEMO app on ur iPhone or iPad and the setup the devices, it. Automatically works over the Internet
  • MH_Flexer
    MH_Flexer Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018

I asked Tim about powering an LED indicator via the remote function.  Since it is a logic circuit he felt it was not the way to go so I am using the alternate method by tapping into the 5Vdc pins on the Accessory connector to power an LED.  I have an LED on the corner of my dinette seat in my motorhome so I can see when the Flex under the seat is on or off.

dmr

• K2ERA
    K2ERA Member
    edited February 2015
    Hi, how does it work over LAN, I dont see a ethernet port on it?
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    It works wirelessly which implies you need a wireless router.
  • K2ERA
    K2ERA Member
    edited February 2015
    Thanks Jim for the clarification, I wanted to make sure there wasnt an ethernet port on it that couldnt be seen in the picture.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    I bought one after hearing about it with the wonderful group we have. What amazes me more, is once you set it up on the LAN you can remote it over a WAN either with WiFi or over the 3G/LTE cell phone network. Wonderful little device for the money!
  • K2ERA
    K2ERA Member
    edited February 2015
    Yeah they are really neat, I am setting up a new flex 6300 in a remote location.  I am trying to use a spare raspberry pi with a relay module to control the power to the radio but if that doesnt work well I am going to buy one of these wemo's instead.  

The only reason I am not using the wemo to start is I already have a spare raspberry pi so using the pi will only cost me an additional $10 for the relay board.

Maybe you can clarify for me how the remote port works on the radio.  I have been told it works 2 different ways and am trying to find out which one is correct

A) it works the exact same as the power button.  If you short the remote rca for 1 second it will turn on the radio.  if you short it for 3-5 seconds it will do a hard reboot on the radio.

B) the radio will turn on when the RCA is shorted and the radio will turn off when the short is removed.

If the way it works is B, then I am guessing you cant do a hard reboot of the radio using the remote RCA?
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    B is correct. It does nothing more than turn the radio on and off.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.