Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How to use an Ethernet switch with Flex-6300

Options
Richard Mogford
Richard Mogford Member ✭✭
I put an Ethernet switch in my network and now SmartSDR can't see the Flex-6300.  I must be missing something basic.  The switch is connected to the radio and then to the PC. 

Suggestions please?

Answers

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Options
    What kind of switch is it, and have you checked that both Cat5/6 patch cables are good? You can verify the cables by putting them directly between the radio and the PC, then making sure the PC can see the radio.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Options
    A port on the switch should go to your router, then plug both the radio and PC into the switch. Is that how you have it?  should work...
  • Richard Mogford
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Well, I plugged the Flex into the switch and then plugged the switch into the PC.  I plan to connect other Ethernet equipment to the PC, so I thought the switch would handle this. 

I know that one of the cables is OK.  I can check the other one.

I guess I need to connect the switch to the Internet router?
  • K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Options
    yes...need the router to assign ip addresses to both the computer and the flex radio

this is done by dhcp server in the router and not done by the switch

Paul K3SF
  • Richard Mogford
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Thanks.
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Options
    If there is no DHCP server, the PC and radio will normally self-assign IP addresses that the two will use to communicate. That does require that both parties be set for DHCP address assignment. The router is not strictly required just for the radio and PC to communicate. There is a further complication with the “M” series radios, in that both the radio and the front panel need to have IP addresses assigned to them, and sometimes that can cause puzzling communication issues.
  • Richard Mogford
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I received an email that someone had replied about using WiFi, but the message does not appear in this forum.

Richard
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Probably deleted by its author. Your question really has nothing to do with WiFi (or at least you did not mention any need for WiFi).

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.