How to trade in a radio and reserve a radio at the same time. Do they call before shipping the new unit?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
I filled out the page to trade in my 6300 for a 6400M. Matt emailed me back and said that they don't have the trade in prices set yet. He suggested that i reserve the 6400M and get on the list. So I did reserve the 6400M using the reservation page on there website. But what happens next? When the new radio becomes available will they contact me with a trade in price before shipping the new radio.
It just seems like everything is backwards. I don't want them to ship the new radio before I have a chance to decide if I want to trade in my 6300. I guess I should call Matt on Monday so he can answer my questions. But in the meantime, does anyone know how this process works?
Photo of Richard Kemp

Richard Kemp

• 14 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of George Molnar, KF2T

George Molnar, KF2T, Elmer

• 1680 Posts
  • 614 Reply Likes
My understanding is that FRS will not ship your new radio before final payment arrangements are made. Those would include any trade-in credits from your old rig. 

If history is any guide, you will have the option to cancel your pre-order up to the time it ships. Last time around, I got a call several days before shipping confirming payment, accessories, and shipping means. They did a great job getting things out.
(Edited)
Photo of Justin - KL2D

Justin - KL2D

• 121 Posts
  • 47 Reply Likes
FWIW, I traded in my 6500 a few months ago for a 6700, and Matt was great. I had a ton of questions and he patiently answered all of them. The process was very smooth, and I got a very fair trade in value on my 6500. For me, since the 6700 was available right away, they shipped the 6700 immediately and charged my cc full price. I boxed up the 6500 and sent it off, FRS then credited my cc as soon as they got it. Very easy. 

Also, the 6700 went on sale for a couple of hundred dollars off regular price a few weeks after I bought mine. I contacted Matt and they gave me a credit for the sale amount towards my PGXL order. :-) 

I have been very impressed with FRS customer service on the sales side. I have not had to work with the service side (knock on wood), hopefully I won't have to hi hi 
Photo of Bob Hawkins

Bob Hawkins

• 10 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Consider selling it yourself as there are a lot of folks like me who would like to step up to the 6300 or 6500 but without the budget of a new 6400/M. I suspect that the new 6400 will depress the used market as well. I am following this.
Photo of Richard Kemp

Richard Kemp

• 14 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thanks guys, i now have a much clearer idea of how the process works. Thanks Again
Rick
Photo of Matt - KD5FGE

Matt - KD5FGE, Employee

• 131 Posts
  • 68 Reply Likes
Hi Guys,

@Richard - I have started working on the program and plan to have it put together next week. Despite not having all of the details finalized I can tell you that there will be an option to keep your radio until the new one is available. 

If anyone is looking for a trade in offer please send me an email or use the following link so that I can get you in my queue for an offer:
http://www.flexradio.com/amateur-products/purchase-programs/