Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

how to tell if 6500 pen installed

K8AC
K8AC Member ✭✭
edited December 2018 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I recently acquired a Flex 6500 from a private individual and believe that I am the third owner of the unit.  How can I find out if the two hardware upgrades (PENs?) have been applied to this transceiver?  The serial # is: 2816 5312 6500 3677.  Thanks.

Comments

• David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Open a ticket with Flex customer support and they should be able to provide or confirm service history.
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    What is the pen updates for 6500 consist of? I thought that was only 6400 and 6600 models.
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Like any company and product there are issues discovered. My suggestion is he contact the manufacture and they should be able to provide a service history be it for PEN issues or repairs. This is not something a customer forum could provide the answer for.
  • James Del Principe
    James Del Principe Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Maybe Tim could hop in here and then we would all know. Otherwise K8AC will know but not the rest of us. I bought my 6500 new a number of years ago but don't remember any hardware upgrades or notifications.     73, Jim
  • K8AC
    K8AC Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Tim just informed that there are no hardware upgrades for the 6500.

73, Floyd - K8AC
  • K8AC
    K8AC Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Of course.  I'm new to the Flex world and since I see Tim responding to many posts, I thought maybe it was appropriate here.  I was unaware of the helpdesk ticket procedure, but discovered that and Tim responded within minutes.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    No problem. As a new Flex owner, just wait how you find out just how good the service is. Never seen better.
  • James Del Principe
    edited December 2018
    Good to know although I just experienced a problem yet again that I have always had but only occurs once in a great while.   The radio locks up, no movement on the panafall and then it screeches loudly.  It does not respond to the mouse or keyboard and must be shut down by holding the on/off button for several seconds.    I'm running the latest release of ver 1 SW and the machine runs just fine otherwise.   This is NOT a fan noise BTW.   Any thoughts?    Jim
  • James Del Principe
    edited December 2018
    Tim is a great guy and has always been very responsive.   Jim
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    What is screeching the physical radio or the PC speakers?
    What does the Network Diagnostics show?
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    It is a sudden lose connection, this may happen. I had it happen here once this year.
  • James Del Principe
    edited December 2018
    To be honest, I really did not determine the exact source but believe it to be the speakers. I don't think it come from the radio package itself and it is not a fan sound.   A reset of power will eliminate it for weeks or even months which makes it hard to locate.   I have not done any network diagnostics and had not considered doing so as it did not seem related. However, I could be wrong and will look into that next time. I was hoping for someone who may have experienced this before. I was ragchewing this morning on AM when it happened (during receive).   Someone broke in after and said a friend had experienced this with his 6300 a few times but could offer no details. Thank you for your input. 
    Bill, can you tell me what is loose in your experience?        Very Best,  Jim
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    This sounds more like a network connectivity issue. If you close SmartSDR and restart it will it connect?

This article may help improve the network performance.
    https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/202118518-Optimizing-Ethernet-Adapter-Settings-for-...

• James Del Principe
    edited December 2018
    David, thanks for the tips on network optimization.    I'll work on this shortly and see what I can accomplish. The network adapter is on board and not a nic card. The network is rather simple, just a switch with two PCs and the Flex and copper up to my modem....   It may take a while to see if this fixes it because the issue does not crop up often.   Thanks to all for the suggestions.     Jim      KD1I

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.