Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

how to start 6700 remotely on WAN

I have a plug which I can turn power on to my station 6700 .  However how do I set the radio to start remotely after the power has been sent to it ?  I tried leaving the radio on removing power and then replacing power but the radio does not restart , how should I fix this .  thanks John kb2huk

Answers

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    The radio has an RCA connector on the back. When there is a short across this connector the radio will turn on. When you remove the short the radio will turn off. To do this remotely requires a device with its own separate server than can be controlled remotely over the Internet. There are many inexpensive AC power remotes with a built-in server. I simply connect one of the AC outputs to a small wall wart which, in turn, energizes a relay whose contracts are connected across the remote input of the Flex. There are various ways of "skinning this cat" but I found this the cheapest.
  • Greg N8GD
    Greg N8GD Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Or you can just use your internet remote controlled power switch to power the 13.8 VDC power supply's 120 VAC ON/OFF that powers your 6700.  Be sure to insert a shorted plug into the RCA jack in the back of the radio via the REM ON jack (and leave it there).  This feature has to be turned on in the SmartSDR software Radio Setup drop down menu under the Radio tab - enable the Remote On button on the right side.  I know many will say this is not the preferred method for powering on/off remotely (it supposedly can cause radio corruption), but my 6300 is powered on and off each day by a DLI Web Power Switch (it's programmed to do this on a schedule), and I have never suffered any ill affects for the nearly two years of power cycling that's been done this way.
  • John Molenda
    John Molenda Member
    edited September 2017
    Ok, I am making progress !I found the RCA jack on the back panal of my 6700 .  so I take a rca connector and plug it into the radio and what do I do with the wires coming out of the connector ? I do not understand short it do you mean tie the two leads coming from the connector together and leave them that way ? thanks JOhn kb2huk 
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited September 2017
    If you connenct both wires together with the radio off (but DC power applied to it), the radio will boot.  Disconnect the wires and the radio will shut down.
  • John Molenda
    John Molenda Member
    edited September 2017
    but how does this help me when I am trying to do it remotely ?  
  • John Molenda
    John Molenda Member
    edited September 2017
    I mean how to remotely turn on and shut off the rig ?  I am sorry I do not follow .  John kb2huk  
  • Paul M
    Paul M Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Build or buy a relay that you can control via the internet.  I use a Web Switch outlet with a relay box on one of the outlets.  
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    image The above is a screen shot of all the devices I need to remotely control my 6700 I uses a DLI WebSwitch and a number of DLI relays
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.