Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

HOW-TO: Set up and use Flex 6300 SO2V in N1MM+

DK1EY
DK1EY Member ✭✭
edited November 2018 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Hi all!

First off all, you have to install and Setup N1MM+ for multiple slice contest operating.

Furthermore read and understand the SO2V-documentation in the N1MM+ wiki:
"In SO2V mode, the key changes the RX focus to the Sub receiver and enables the Sub audio if necessary (Orion). To use this feature 

set the CQ repeat time a longer than normal and start a repeating CQ using VFOA (Main). If nobody answers, press the key to enable the Sub receiver and tune the band. Pressing again will change the RX focus back to VFOA and turn off the Sub if Config > Dual Rx Always On is not checked. With Icom radios that only have one VFO knob, pressing the key also changes the knob association to the Sub VFO.

If you do not find someone to call before the CQ timer expires, the program will call CQ again on VFOA. With RX focus on VFOB (Sub) Entry window, typing a letter will cancel the repeating CQ running on VFOA.

Pressing a function key to call someone or send an exchange will automatically switch the TX focus to the proper VFO prior to transmitting. Some radios switch faster because they require fewer configuration commands. If the RX focus is on then VFOB (Sub) Entry window and the CQ repeat needs to start again on VFOA, simply press the CTRL+CQ-Key. The program default for the CQ-key is F1 and this is set in Configurer > Function Keys tab.

If someone answers your CQ while the RX focus is on VFOB (Sub), press the key to change the RX focus prior to entering the callsign. If you want to change the TX and RX focus together press the PAUSE key.

There is special functionality associated with the Ctrl+Alt+D and Grave accent keystrokes for the SO2V radios. See the appropriate radio model in the Supported Radios section."

So check the configuration Tab in N1MM+. It has to be configured as SO2V:

If you use SDR-Bridge as recommended in my above mentioned tutorial, please have a look at the following tab and be sure that "mute all but active slice" is unchecked, otherwise you will not hear answering stations in slice A after sending your call or report in slice B:

That's it for setup!

Operating with Flex 6300 works like that:

You "run" in slice A, repeated CQ, CQ-repeat-time has to be aligned to your need. This is a bit trial an error. for me 2 second to 4 seconds work fine.

For CQ-repeat, use Alt+R = Enable CQ repeat.
Set the repeat-time properly with Ctrl+R = Set repeat time

If you are firm in running (calling CQ and serving answering stations with your exchange numbers), you should try switching the radios focus from VFO A to VFO B to to S&P (search & pounce) there: Backslash ( ) - Two radios = Change Receive (RX) focus.

While calling CQ on slice A, you tune for workable stations in slice B. After calling CQ on slice A, you change focus to slice B and work the station. This stops the CQ-repeat on slice A. After logging the slice B-QSO, you start calling on slice A (even focused on slice B) with Ctrl+F1.

Repeat!

Got it?

If not, just drop me a note here or write me an Email.

VY73
Thomas
DK1EY

Comments

• Hunter - K3IE
    Hunter - K3IE Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Thank you Thomas. The missing link for me was the SDR-Bridge Slice Menu settings. Thanks to you, I am looking good for SO2V this weekend in CQWW SSB. Let's hope the propagation cooperates :) Much appreciated - Hunter K3IE
  • EduardoCarvalho
    EduardoCarvalho Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Thomas, thank you very much for the detailed instructions, this is very good. I have been using this same setup for a while and it works very well. I was not aware of the Crtl+f1 trick, this is going to help me a lot, since I always get confused going back and forth. This weekend during the RTTY contest I did not have SDRBridge running and the VFOs were mutting anyway. Do you happen to know if this is a bug or new feature with 1.5.1? Have you seen this issue? I have a 6300. 73, Eduardo, kc8r
  • DK1EY
    DK1EY Member ✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Eduardo,

for me, setting up was a minor problem. I got the boost, while I spent half an hour reviewing the N1MM+ Shortcuts and trying it. Especially the DX Spots and Band Map/ESM Mode/SO2R-Section. There are a few other nice hints which are worth trying and implementing it in your routine.
    This weekend during the RTTY contest I did not have SDRBridge running and the VFOs were mutting anyway. Do you happen to know if this is a bug or new feature with 1.5.1? Have you seen this issue? I have a 6300. 
    I have a 6300 as well. Did you check "Sub receiver always on" in N1MM+ > Config?

VY73
    Thomas
    DK1EY
  • EduardoCarvalho
    EduardoCarvalho Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Thomas,

Thank you for the tip. That works well. N1MM is very powerful, I guess I should spend more time outside of contests learning the program.

Eduardo, KC8R
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Thomas I have started setting this up in my shack..  I notice when I use the focus switch
      it switches over, but when I tx it mutes the audio on the new focus slice.  Have you seen this?  is this an N1MM issue or A SSDR issue or am I missing something? Chris N6WM
  • DK1EY
    DK1EY Member ✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Chris,

is the Config > Sub Receiver Always On option in N1MM+ checked?

If yes, dou you use SDR-Bridge? SDR-Bridge has to be configured as shown above to not mute the audio of the inactive slice.

If you need further help, please do not hesitate to contact me.

VY73
    Thomas
    DK1EY

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.