How to remote control a AT-Auto tuner while direct connected to a Flex 6500

• Question
  • Updated 9 months ago
  • Answered
I have a Flex 6500 direct connected, via the Flex USB ports, to a SPE 1.3K amplifier and a AT-Auto (Don Kessler model) antenna tuner. The system works extremely well. I would like to be able to remotely access the tuner while I am operating the station remotely without disturbing the current interface. I have no problem remotely accessing the amplifier by using their supplied software and the USB connector. I use TeamViewer to access the amplifier software when needed. I see a lot of data regarding the use of the HF Auto tuner with W1TR and DDUtil programs.. However I don’t see anything about remote access for the AT-Auto. Since the AT-Auto has CAT capability vice the HF- Auto, I would think it should be doable.
Thanks for any suggestions,

73, Bob, KN4HH
Photo of Bob  KN4HH

Bob KN4HH

• 95 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of K1ESE

K1ESE

• 104 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
N4PY will do what you want.

www.n4py.com

73 de K1ESE
John
Photo of Bob  KN4HH

Bob KN4HH

• 95 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
That looks like the answer. Thanks so much, John.
73, Bob, KN4HH
Photo of Mark WS7M

Mark WS7M

• 414 Posts
  • 114 Reply Likes
I don't have the Kessler model.  I have the palstar model.  Nice tuner.  I leave it in auto mode most of the time.

But... I have to rant here.  The HF-Auto from Palstar has a serial port on the back.  I have twice asked Paul for the serial protocol so I could control the tuner remotely.  Both times he ranted that I was trying to steal his technology that he spent millions on.

I was shocked to say the least.   I simply wanted the commands to take the tuner on/offline and change antennas and he freaked out.  I then directed me to one guy who has made some PC software to control the tuner.  It would not meet my needs.

So I tried and when I got his reaction I ended up sniffing out and implementing my own remote control for the device.  I was told not to release it so I won't but it is just one of the silliest things I've heard of.

I also did a mechanical remote control so I have both.  But jeesh... Controlling all these devices seems like it should be an easy thing.
Photo of Bob  KN4HH

Bob KN4HH

• 95 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
I understand, Mark, your frustration.  That is why I opted for the AT-Auto.  Don has built in to the design a CAT function.  As a result, I am able to connect the tuner directly to one of the USB ports on my Flex 6500 and set the tuner to Kenwood CAT protocol.  It works very well.  I am going to try the N4PY software solution for access to the tuner.  And, yes, it should be a bit easier to do.

73, Bob, KN4HH