How to remote control a AT-Auto tuner while direct connected to a Flex 6500

• Question
  • Updated 1 month ago
  • Answered
I have a Flex 6500 direct connected, via the Flex USB ports, to a SPE 1.3K amplifier and a AT-Auto (Don Kessler model) antenna tuner. The system works extremely well. I would like to be able to remotely access the tuner while I am operating the station remotely without disturbing the current interface. I have no problem remotely accessing the amplifier by using their supplied software and the USB connector. I use TeamViewer to access the amplifier software when needed. I see a lot of data regarding the use of the HF Auto tuner with W1TR and DDUtil programs.. However I don’t see anything about remote access for the AT-Auto. Since the AT-Auto has CAT capability vice the HF- Auto, I would think it should be doable.
Thanks for any suggestions,

73, Bob, KN4HH
Photo of Bob  KN4HH

Bob KN4HH

• 97 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of K1ESE

K1ESE

• 120 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
N4PY will do what you want.

www.n4py.com

73 de K1ESE
John
Photo of Bob  KN4HH

Bob KN4HH

• 97 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
That looks like the answer. Thanks so much, John.
73, Bob, KN4HH
Photo of Mark WS7M

Mark WS7M

• 505 Posts
  • 149 Reply Likes
I don't have the Kessler model.  I have the palstar model.  Nice tuner.  I leave it in auto mode most of the time.

But... I have to rant here.  The HF-Auto from Palstar has a serial port on the back.  I have twice asked Paul for the serial protocol so I could control the tuner remotely.  Both times he ranted that I was trying to steal his technology that he spent millions on.

I was shocked to say the least.   I simply wanted the commands to take the tuner on/offline and change antennas and he freaked out.  I then directed me to one guy who has made some PC software to control the tuner.  It would not meet my needs.

So I tried and when I got his reaction I ended up sniffing out and implementing my own remote control for the device.  I was told not to release it so I won't but it is just one of the silliest things I've heard of.

I also did a mechanical remote control so I have both.  But jeesh... Controlling all these devices seems like it should be an easy thing.
Photo of Bob  KN4HH

Bob KN4HH

• 97 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
I understand, Mark, your frustration.  That is why I opted for the AT-Auto.  Don has built in to the design a CAT function.  As a result, I am able to connect the tuner directly to one of the USB ports on my Flex 6500 and set the tuner to Kenwood CAT protocol.  It works very well.  I am going to try the N4PY software solution for access to the tuner.  And, yes, it should be a bit easier to do.

73, Bob, KN4HH
Photo of MIchael Ryan

MIchael Ryan

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Bob, What version of software do you have in your AT-AUTO Tuner?  Which cable do you use? And are you using the "KENWOOD CAT  ONLY / No External Tuner" setting in the tuner or "KENWOOD NORMAL Cat & Tuner I/O" ? Thanks in advance. -Mike
Photo of Bob  KN4HH

Bob KN4HH

• 97 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
I have software V2.14 in the AT-Auto.  I am using a FTDI cable between The RS-232 port on the AT-Auto and the USB port on the Flex.  I run the tuner in Kenwood CAT only/ No External Tuner.
Photo of MIchael Ryan

MIchael Ryan

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
After talking directly to Don Kessler at KESSLER ENGINEERING I did something different. (BTW, version 2.14 is what I have here in mine and he says it is the latest issue.) On his website is the manual for the AT-AUTO tuner. Note pages 23 and 94 of the manual. Page 23 indicates how to set up the tuner with the FLEX radio. A serial cable is connected to a serial port on the computer and the on the rear of the AT-AUTO tuner. Also note that a jumper inside the tuner behind the digital display board must be opened (see page 94). That took about 5 minutes to do. After which the settings you describe in the menu on the tuner were used. The tuner works flawlessly after these measures were incorporated.
Photo of Bob  KN4HH

Bob KN4HH

• 97 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Very good, Michael.  Mine works fine with direct connect and no other software involved.  What I am trying to do is actually change modes on the tuner and manually adjust the variable capacitor and rotary inductor remotely. 
Photo of MIchael Ryan

MIchael Ryan

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I did see some posts by some that are going to or ARE using their tuners remotely. A good prospect for sure. In any event, it' good to have it working as needed here.