Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How to protect SteppIR antenna when using Power Genius XL?

Warren Wegerer
Warren Wegerer Member ✭✭
edited April 2019 in Power Genius XL Amplifier
I haven't received my Power Genius XL yet but while reading about the amp I developed this question/concern. Since SteppIR antennas can take a considerable amount of time to tune between significantly different bands the SteppIR controller can be configured to include a lockout relay that prevents an amp from keying while the antenna is tuning. SteppIR says DON'T transmit with an amp while the antenna is tuning. However, I understand the PGXL integrates to the 6000 series radios with only the Ethernet connection, and I don't see any sort of TX prevention input on the amp to interface with. Has anybody thought this out or found a solution already? I intend to position my 6400M and PGXL remotely at a mountain cabin so I won't be local to monitor the SteppIR tuning process. I'd like to protect myself from the occasional mental glitches that can happen. I imagine I could interface the SteppIR TX protection to the "TX Request Input" on the radio to inhibit all TX while tuning, but I'm unsure. I thought I'd ask the community in case others have already found a different and possibly better solution. Thanks in advance...

Answers

• Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I have two StepIR antennas and you were exactly correct on the solution you send the signal from the SteppIR controller to the transmit inhibit Jack on the back of the flexradio

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.