Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How to modify your FlexRadio 6700 for a Boat Anchor

N4VGE
N4VGE Member ✭✭
I am thinking of adding a YouTube video with my FlexRadio 6700 connected to my laptop with SDR, CAT, and DAX images on the screen.  The images will show I need a license from Flex.  Then I will take a extra large sledge hammer or a 200 ton press and completely destroy the FlexRadio 6700.  Then I will shape the 6700 case so it will hold a section of chain.  The video will then cut to my duck boat dropping the 6700 in the water and me sitting back with a **** and talking on a hand held DMR radio. 

Backstory.  I bought my 6700 in the Spring of 2017.  In May 2019 I decided to upgrade from 2.4.9 to 3.2.27 although I can't imagine doing remote operating.  My radio is set up in my 38' Fleetwood motorhome and I do not have any hard-wired internet connection.  I have 4 hotspots in the coach and have had no problems with any of my other electronics or software.   Firstly I was told it was child's play to connect the new software, then I was ****, that I could do it with a switch? then a mini wifi router, and finally internet sharing.  I did ask Flex to hold for a month or so because I was not available but the bottom line, eight weeks are on Flex. 

Do not contact me to purchase my Flex.  I do not sell my ham equipment, I either give it away or throw it away.

Does anyone think that I will get a response from someone that knows how to fix this?   I don't think so.

Comments

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Your not interested in remote, what do you need the radio connected to the internet for?
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    To license the radio for v3 ?:-)
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Because your other devices have internet as you said, does your computer for the Flex have internet? If so then downloading the V3 software should not be a problem.
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I would love a link to that video!
  • James Charlton
    James Charlton Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I don't understand what your exact technical problem is, but I'm guessing you can't get a good software download due to spotty Internet/wifi coverage inside your home.  If that's it, read on, otherwise stop now.

A couple of years ago a guy I knew had a similar problem.  He solved it by putting his Flex in his car running off the cigarette lighter and drove around hotels, restaurants etc until he found a solid wifi signal in the parking lots.  I believe he used a wifi finder app on his phone and settled on a hospital that did not require a password.  Anyway, using their wifi he downloaded the software and everything was fine.

It's something to think about.

Jim Charlton   AD0AB
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I would too, that would be different. But I think giving the radio away to the less fortunate is best...lol
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Hello! I’m not sure, based on the posting if this an operational issue or that you are having issues with the upgrade process itself. If you could specify then I think I or some other smart people on here can help you. Each having its own specific path to the promise land.
  • Andy W3LI
    Andy W3LI Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I like!
  • RFord
    RFord Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I thought I remembered something about this post...I believe this is his first post on this issue:

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/upset-in-charleston-sc

Regards,
    Ronald
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    It is pretty hard to figure out what your actual Flex-6700 problem is, but I think you've joined the wondrous rapture of blaming your network issues on somebody else.

Your in-RV setup really is a challenge for anything as intensive as a 6000 - and remember the only real difference between a WAN and a LAN in that in the LAN you own ALL the problems rather than share them with someone else.  

There have been lost of discussion and info on the FRS website on the pitfalls going wireless.  Yes some succeed - fewer succeed long term because something changes and of course some never make it work twice, some not even once...  

Whatever Internet-Connected-Radio and LAN-Connected-Shack-Radio you pick, it will not do you well if your internet and LAN are not robust.  

While you make think the ball is in FRS court, you are always responsible to provide enough connectivity to make a radio server work.  That responsibility doesn't change if the manufacturer is someone else either. 

Personally I have struggled with the connectivity issues with my Island QTH from day one.  Actually I prefer to bring gear (FRS or other gear) off the island to do updates.  My Island options **** and are never are stable enough to count upon. 

You know what you have to fix, whether if it is a one-off update or the general usability over in-RV wireless.  If your RV travels are taking you near me, I'd happily help you get your upgrade sorted.

GL & 73

Steve
    K9ZW

Blog:  http://k9zw.wordpress.com  
  • Huskerbobe
    Huskerbobe Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I was in a similar situation, blaming FLEX.  After quite a bit of help from Dan Quigley, I upgraded my ISP and bought a new MESH router system, shielded LAN cables and metal case switches .  Since then all has worked PERFECT, absolutely NO problems.

• Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    I'll take it! I sure can't afford one right now!
  • WA5YOM
    WA5YOM Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I know someone who can’t afford a radio....so if you want to give away...
  • W2NER
    W2NER Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Me too!!  I want to see that!
  • k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Hello Van,

Sorry to hear your pain, the 6700 is a great radio that depends on a solid WAN connection, ONLY, for updates.  I would hope in your situation you could send your unit to Flex and they would straighten things out for you...

Regards, Dennis, k0eoo
  • W2NER
    W2NER Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I could use it for a car ramp..  Get a Expert Electronics MB1 and you will be happy. 
  • N4VGE
    N4VGE Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I was in error.  I bought my 6700 in 2018 not 2017.  Has anyone seen or hear from Michael Walker the "Community Mayor of Flex Radio"? 
  • KI4P
    KI4P Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    if you give it away, let me know! i would love to replace my 6400!
    ill trade my 6400 and you can use it as a boat anchor!
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Can't tell if he's serious or a comical way of asking for help. If you skip the crushing step and go straight to using it as a boat anchor, I'll still take it, water logged or not.
    I'd
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Not sure why you need four hotspots in a motor home. It sounds like your network is pretty unstable, Try using one hotspot with an ethernet cable into an inexpensive LAN SWITCH (not a router). Plug your Flex and PC into the switch, too. Turn on the switch, then hotspot, wait for it to get a signal, then the PC, the Flex. Should work. If not, check to make sure DHCP is enabled on the hotspot.

With gear connected to multiple hotspots, you are likely getting duplicate IP assignments. Not good. Further, if the rig and PC are on different hotspots, they are not on the same network. Not good, either.

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Not only all of that, but multiple WiFi networks will interfere with each other unless they are specifically designed to work together I.e a mesh.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited August 2019
    I wanted to reply on this since Van chose to post here.

We have been in constant communication with this customer in order to attempt to help him through his update. 

He also has the ability to run V2 of Smartsdr to roll back to with 1 or 2 mouse clicks until we get this resolved.  Even though the licensing is failing to finish, that does not take you off the air.

I also want to mention that we have overnighted him a WiFi module that to see if that will assist him help him out with the upgrade that will arrive tomorrow 100% at our cost.

We do appreciate that this has been a bit of an issue for him and we are working with him constantly to resolve his V3 upgrade.  

In order for the radio to finish its V3 licensing, it only requires a brief connection to the internet, and, what we would normally recommend it to briefly connect a LAN cable from the radio to the Router to verify the license.  Then, you can revert to the configuration that was previously in use.

73 all, Mike

• N4VGE
    N4VGE Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Well, firstly I am guessing that upgrading is always good even if I am not interested in remote.  Secondly I have solid hi-speed internet to my laptops and tablets in my motorhome but my hotspots are not routers and have no Cat 5 cable connection (see Verizon Hotspots).  Lastly, Flex does have a travel router that should work.
  • N4VGE
    N4VGE Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I am going to try the travel router and if that doesn't work I think I will do the video with the hydraulic press while the radio is on and hope for some fireworks. 
  • N9VC
    N9VC Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Go ahead
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    “I am guessing that upgrading is always good even if I am not interested in remote” You should always review release notes and current users’ experience before updating. There certainly are things in v3 that you might like (or not!). I won’t try to list the pluses and minuses, but do look for v3-related comments and release notes before deciding to go that route. Of course you can always go back - once the licensing and downloading is done using an Internet connection, going back and forth between versions is relatively trivial and does not require the Internet. Just remember that going back from v3 to v2 (or v2.5 to v2.4) requires a radio reset - apparently the internal database format is not backwards compatible, although it is forwards compatible.
  • Jerry W2TXB
    Jerry W2TXB Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Pics and video or it didn't happen. ;)

Back when I did the upgrade to v2, I attempted to do the download at home (RoadRunner connection to Internet); it crashed every time I tried, so I checked my connection speeds and they were (at best) dismal. So, while waiting at my wife's doc appointment, I used their wi-fi to my ThinkPad, and easily (and completely) did the download. On the way home, I stopped by the TimeWiener office and spoke with them; they handed me a new cable modem, which helped my speeds considerably. My next step was temporarily hard-wiring my "Flex" PC (a very fast home built unit with some serious horsepower) and the 6700 to my router across the hallway... used an ethernet switch and a long cable. That also worked perfectly, and I returned to using that PC via wi-fi, connected via ethernet cable to the Flex.

Can v3 be loaded to the PC and radio without a hard wired connection? If so, that is a major improvement. Then, can it be operated remotely without any hard wired connections? If so, that would be another huge improvement.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Jerry, as we know wifi is more flacky then a hard wired connection, that being said a Wifi connection most often works very well, if it's solid.

As long as your wifi is good you can download V3 when you purchase it, then simply install.
    If your radio is connected to a good working wifi router then working remote can be very sucssesful.
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    And when possible, use 5.4 GHz.
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I have a perfectly good working 6500 with V3 already loaded I'll trade you for...

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.