Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How to...MacLogger DX

I0JBL - Luc
I0JBL - Luc Member ✭✭
edited April 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
With the release 1.4 and her capabilities pending  (especially for use trough domestic LAN), and considering also the existing Stu K6TU application on Ipad , I was considering the possibility to move all my QSO archive the Maclogger DX platform that I like very much.
I have a Mac Mini I5 with 4Gb RAM.
First question. This configuration will be enough?
Second question. I could not find a "How to" dedicated to install and use MCLDX & Cocoa using the opportunity to double OS on the Mac platform.
Could you please give me some suggestions?
Thanks in advance and mny DX.
73 Luc, I0JBL

Answers

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Hello Luc. Your configuration will work, but it probably will be a little sluggish once you load Parallels and SSDR. Can you add RAM? The excellent MLDX will operate easily with your Flex via LAN - no CAT required. Likewise K6TU's application (Stu helped write the MLDX 6000 support). DAX between the Windows VM and Mac is possible, sort of, but I wouldn't recommend it. So, if you want to use Digital modes, an external interface is best. Cocoa Modem is no longer in development, and may not work with future versions of OS X. Happy to help if you need more information.
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I agree with George.  I've been using MacLogger DX with my 6300 for about 8 months and it is a wonderful combination.  If you are planning on using Parallels, RAM is your friend.  4 is not going to be enough.  If you can upgrade your RAM to 16 GB you may have a very workable configuration.  I have an iMac with a quad P7 and maxed out on RAM.  I also have a Macbook Pro with i7 and 16 GB of RAM and it works well.
    There is another gentleman on the board who uses a Mac Mini.  Maybe he'll let us know if he is operating under Parallels or if he is using BootCamp.
    From a digital mode perspective, listen to what George says.  Converting DAX from Windows to a Mac sound card puts many conversions in place and is not for the feint of heart.  Even when you do get the magical elixir put together and working, it does not perform well.   You would be better off either running your digital modes within the Windows Environment on Parallels or run an external interface.
    73!

• Reggie-k6xr
    Reggie-k6xr Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I also use a Mac-Mini with 8 gb memory. Using parallels and win 8.1. I run parallels in coherence mode so I can move things  around between dual monitors. I run MacLoggerDX on one monitor or DXLabs Suite while SSDR is on the opposite monitor. I also use Stu's Ipap app. I use parallels Access to  run my flex 6500 remotely as well.

• I0JBL - Luc
    I0JBL - Luc Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Thanks to all of you for valuable suggestions.
    I could try to improve my Mac Mini to 8 Gb and see if the system run otherwise, beyond this limit, is not economically passable.
    The Mac Pro is a dream but in my country the costs are still very high and justifiable only if the hobby is a part of main job applications.
    I take this opportunity to ask George if I can connect MCLDX via LAN to another Win 7 PC where SSDR runs?
    This could allow me to keep the current configuration and use MCLDX.
    Sorry for the perhaps silly question but my level of knowledge of PC  and LAN is not very high. Thanks and mny DX

P.S. If the answer is yes (two different PC), how I can really do?
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Yes, it is possible as long as both are on the same LAN. I have used SSDR on a laptop running Win7, while MLDX is running on my Mac. No problem!
  • Alan - KA4B
    Alan - KA4B Member ✭✭
    edited February 2015
    I would recommend going with 16 GB if you can.  I have a MacBook Pro i5 that I upgraded to 8 GB (which is the max in this case).  I also put a Solid State Drive in it.  It is marginal when you run Yosemite, Parallels, Windows and SmartSDR with more than two panadapters.  Were it not for the SSD it think it would not be enough.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    For fun, here's an image of my 6500 networked with a Windows tablet running SSDR (lower left), MLDX (small desktop monitor), K6TU Control (iPad), WSJT-X and JT-Bridge (larger monitor). All on the network, all interacting smoothly with each other.

• W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I see a lot of fellows are using a Mac for SmartSDR. To prepare for v.1.4 I need to buy a notebook, and am trying to figure out the best. I know I5 or I7 processor with 8 or more meg of RAM is needed,  with great screen resolution. But should I buy a Windows or Mac? I request your opinions.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    That's a really personal choice. Both are very good options, as long as you buy quality hardware. For me, the Mac "ecosystem" makes sense. The only Windows application running here is SSDR, so that's pretty painless. Occasionally I need to do something in Excel (and I can do that on Mac), but by and large the Mac office suite suits me better than Microsoft's. There are more "ham apps" available for Windows, for sure. OS X does seem more stable than Windows, though. Your mileage may vary. 
  • Alan - KA4B
    Alan - KA4B Member ✭✭
    edited February 2015
    The question of Windows or Mac will always initiate a debate.  The biggest reasons most of us who have chosen a Mac have done so are outside of Flex Radio.  For the present you will have to run Windows either natively on a Windows computer, on a Mac with Bootcamp, or running two operating systems using Parallels or something similar on a Mac.  If you are not already committed to what Apple computers offer, it is SIMPLER to use a Windows computer for the Flex 6000 series radios.
  • I0JBL - Luc
    I0JBL - Luc Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Finally I was able to link my Mac Mini and MCLDX to 6500 running on a different PC. Thank you all for your kind support.
    Mny DX!
    Luciano, I0JBL
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Luciano - congrats. What turned out to be your solution?

• I0JBL - Luc
    I0JBL - Luc Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Dear George, I did as you suggested.
    MCLDX runs on the Mac Mini with 4 Gb and SSDR runs on a WIN7 machine with also an I5 and 4 GB RAM.
    I take this opportunity to send the screen capture of my configuration.
    In your opinion it is correct? You suggest something I to change?
    Thank You and best 73
    Luciano I0JBLimage

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.