Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How to load HRD FT8 QSO's

Ernest
Ernest Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Started using FT8 from K1JT website.
However I find a situation where I can not log FT8 contacts on "My Logbook" using Ham Radio Deluxe as a mode when it's pull down.
HRD v6.4.0.659 the latest version that I install does not have FT8 as an option.  
I will post the same question on the HRD forum.

Answers

• AH0U
    AH0U Member
    edited June 2020
    I am using HRD with my 6700 and the new FT8 software but I can transmit fine and see tons of signals on the waterfall but can't get any decode... works fine on JT65 but nothing on FT8... any clues as to what you did??? Tnx Bruce AH0U
  • Lee - N2LEE
    Lee - N2LEE Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Ernest seems rather way off topic for this forum doesn't it ?
  • Ernest
    Ernest Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Lee, 
    I know that!
    And since this was a subject (FT8) discussed on this forum earlier: I took it upon myself to ask it. There are many Flexers that are using HRD software. 
    I am hoping that current FT8 user may have an answer how to log this mode on the logbook: Since HRD has not address it on it's forum.
    There are many other subjects that are really off topic on this forum that are far worse than this. And I have not seeing you addressing them.
    Thanks for your unnecessary advice

• Ernest
    Ernest Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Bruce,
    My FT8 worked immediately after I downloaded on the F-6700. I only had to go to 14.074.00.
    I found it a little intimidating, since it appears to be decoding every 20 or 30 seconds,
    I even managed to make a QSO with  KA1DAX. 
    Q's are made very fast. And needless to say, I have not seeing or read any of the instructions "if" there any.
  • Ernest
    Ernest Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I did not do anything special. I just went to K1JT website and looked for FT8 to downloaded. 
    Under WSJT x configuration ... go to mode and check FT8 and the rest is similar to the other JT's mode.
  • AH0U
    AH0U Member
    edited July 2017
    Well I can work JT65 perfectly but as soon as I switch to FT8 it stops decoding.... seems like it is working green bar at bottom run the decode cycle and the decode button flashes for a second but nobdecide... I've tried reinstalling and re booting but no luck... looks like fun
  • Lee - N2LEE
    Lee - N2LEE Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I certainly can't argue that there is a lot of expertise here. I am pretty sure I saw the answer to this question on the WSJT Yahoo group.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/wsjtgroup/info

• Ernest
    Ernest Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Thank you Lee,
    You solved the problem. 
    I did a Google search and Yahoo answer was not in the results.
    "LOTW logs FT8 and the other digital modes as DATA"
  • AH0U
    AH0U Member
    edited July 2017
    Did that and it works great in JT65 but it's a bust on FT8
  • Paul M
    Paul M Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    If you want to add FT8 in HRD Logbook got to Tools -->Configure--->Mode--->ADD  and then add FT8 to the list.  Look at the others and you can decide if you want it sent up as Digital or FT8.  I chose FT8
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I should note that Log4OM imported my QSOs with no problem. I'm going to wait for ARRL to update LoTW before I upload there. Ria
  • Paul M
    Paul M Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Goo point, my LOTW failed this morning with the FT8 as a mode.    I'll wait and upload them separately when LOTW catches up.

Paul  -W4PGM
  • Richard
    Richard Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Be careful....  If using LOTW you must change TQSL File -> Display or Modify Preferences -> ADIF Modes -> Add.  At this point add the new mode (FT8) and there is a location that auto loads and it will load FT*.  Over write this with the word "DATA".   Now when loading the contact to LOTW it will oad as Data and will be in your records.

Note:   I am having problems loading the .ADI File to eQSL.  Seems they do not recognize FT8 yet.   I have contacted them numerous times and they seem a litlle slow reacting.   Although eQSL is a minor concern still the EU's use it a lot and will have issues......

Have Fun!
  • Richard
    Richard Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Paul...  With the new or Version 1.8 of WSJT-X, I too am having problems now logging any WSJT-X Digital Contact into HRD.  I have been told that there are "political" reasons between the two groups and that at this time and under the 1.8 Version of WSJT-X there will be no link to HRD.  I have been forced to manually load the contacts and you can imagine what a PIA that is........  I have also been told there is a program (QSORelay v1.5.6371.29224) that takes the QSO Data and will "Relay" it to HRD.  I am told that it is pretty much automatic.  Later today I am going to work with the fellow ham that is using it.  He has it working with a 7300 to HRD.   I will let you know the outcome...

Regards,
    Richard "****" Griest - N4RWG
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    After the fiasco where HRD was banning users for posting negative reviews (a practice which is now banned under US Federal law, BTW) the author of JTAlert wanted to have nothing to do with them. So I believe that newer versions will not work with HRD. 

There's another backstory with HRD falling out with Joe himself, but I'm not really going to air that dirty laundry here. Suffice to say this is Joe's software package and I back him 100%. 
  • KS0CW
    KS0CW Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I seem to recall JTAlert-X recently having a similar parting of ways with HRD...hummm
  • Paul M
    Paul M Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    **** - I still use JTAlert v. 2.8.7 which was the last release that still works with HRD 6.****.  I believe that the last time I looked 2.8.7 was still available for download but as of now I cannot update JTAlert and still have HRD 6.XX Connectivity.    I'll look at QSO Relay later today and see how that works.  

Paul -W4PGM   
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Downloaded FT8 software. Setup radio, my first contact was AE0DM. This new mode is lightning fast. Nice job.
  • AH0U
    AH0U Member
    edited June 2020
    I use JTAlert 2.9.10 with HRD 6.4.0659 and it works FB
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Did JTAlert and HRD end their feud?
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    @ Howard     Nope,  the latest JtAlert still does not support HRD.   VK3AMA, Laurie, posted this just the other day on the JTAlert Forum: "Users using early versions of JTAlert who don't want to upgrade (HRD6 log with JTAlert 2.8.7) need to turn off sending spots to HamSpots".   

I'm using JTAlert 2.8.7 along with HRD 6.4.0.659  without any problems.  WSJT-X  v1.8.0 rc-1 is logging to HRD. 

Cal/N3CAL 
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited July 2017
    Ernest, did you add the new FT8 mode into HRD Logbook? At that point you map it to report the adif as data and LoTW uploads from HRD Logbook will work fine. Let me know if you have any additional problems as I am on the HRD beta team. Dave wo2x
  • AH0U
    AH0U Member
    edited July 2017
    You can set the TQSL to accept the FT8 as JT65 and that loads to LOTW FB
  • AH0U
    AH0U Member
    edited July 2017
    I'm using JTAlert 2.9.10 with HRD 6.4.661 with no oroblem
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited July 2017
    You can use JTAlert 2.9.10 and any newer versions with the latest HRD Logbook. You need to ise a program call QSO Relay as a bridge between the two programs. Runs great here. http://www.vk2byi.com.au/qsorelay/ Dave wo2x
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    They don't want to have anything to do with HRD. I do not blame them.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited July 2017
    Hi Ria, Actually the "bad apples" at HRD are now gone. The one owner who caused the issues has sold his interest in the company to the other partner. They have brought on two new software programmers who have made very good progress in a list of outstanding deficiencies. They have done an pverhaul in their support staff. Everyone who was associated with the software key black Isting is out. HRD is definitely in damage control mode but it actually works quite well for the logbook and DM780 with DDUtil as the HRD server. Hopefully they continue to improve it. I use it for everyday logging as I do NOT like the OmniRig interface in Log4OM as it does not natively support RTTY mode. When/if Log4OM 2.0 comes out with TCP connectivity to SmartSDR Cat I will give it another look. If you are going to the hamfest in the morning I will see you there. 73 Dave wo2x
  • Richard
    Richard Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Update....  The New version of Alert is the one that has the problem..  I had downloaded it and saw the issue and then re-installed the older version.   In doing so the setting for logging on the Alert Program has changed.  I went in and setthem to the older version HRD and checked the box to activate it and awway it went.  No Problems now.  

Still Issues with eQSL and it is known.   Seeing both outgoing and incoming LOTW Confirmations so that seems to work.    As stated before one needs to set up TQSL with the new Mode FT* and Set the second box as "DATA".  That seems to work for me.   QRZ.com, ClubLog and HRD.net seems to be a pass thru so that is working...

Hope you are enjoying the new Mode....  Be safe

Richard "****" Griest - N4RWG
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    @ Dave    Thanks for the info on QSO Relay!   I'm trying it out. 

Cal/N3CAL
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    FT8 Seems to be much more sensitive to timing than JT9/65.  If your clock is a few seconds off, it cuts the last second or two off, and starts trying to transmit before the decode is finished.

So be sure to check your clock.

Also, the little slider on the left of the main FT8 screen is to adjust the audio feed going to the waterfall display, not the main decoder.  In some previous versions it also adjusted the audio level to the decoder.  You may have the audio level set incorrectly.

I have been receiving just fine with the vertical meter bar on the left side hovering at about 60.  It may be too high, but I haven't played around to reduce it yet.  I used it at 30 in previous versions.  I have just had too much fun to go messing around with it.....

Ken - NM9P

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.