Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How to get fldigi working with Flex 6300 on Windows or macOS

Scott
Scott Member
edited December 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
Greetings.

In 2015 I had the pleasure of meeting Matt and Gerald Youngblood and staff at the FlexRadio offices in Austin, and I ordered a 6300 on the spot.  I've had fun working many states and countries with the JT65, JT9, and FT8 modes implemented in WSJT-X.  Now I want to try other digital modes using fldigi.  No matter what I try, I can't get fldigi to work with the 6300.  I hope someone can help.

Context:  My computer is a MacBook Pro running macOS 10.12 Sierra.  Using VMware Fusion Pro 8.5.10, I run Windows 8.1 as a guest OS.  I have SmartSDR 1.11.12, SmartCAT, SmartDAX, and WSJT-X 1.9.0-rc3 installed and working together in the Windows VM.  I prefer macOS (and Linux) to Windows.  A few days ago I bought dogparkSDR and Loopback and installed the xCAT and xDAX software kindly offered by Mario Illgen, DL3LSM.  I was able to get WSJT-X 1.9.0-rc3 running on macOS and have made many contacts.

But I can't figure out how to make fldigi work with the 6300 either in Windows or in macOS.  I'm baffled by the arcana of COM ports, multiple rig control mechanisms, and hundreds of configuration options.  Is there a simple, straightforward, well-documented way to get fldigi working robustly with SmartSDR on Windows 8.1 or with dogparkSDR on macOS?  I already spent a couple hundred bucks on dogparkSDR and Loopback and I hope I won't have to buy any more software just now.

Thank you.

Regards,

Scott
W6SDD

Answers

• Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I don't use FLdigi myself, but there is a lot of helpful stuff, including videos, out there.

https://www.google.com/search?q=using+FLdigi+with+SmartSDR&oq=using+FLdigi+with+SmartSDR&aqs=chrome..69i57.8719j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
  • Scott
    Scott Member
    edited April 2018
    Ted,

You are amazing and wonderful!  I followed your instructions carefully and got fldigi working with dpSDR and 6300 in just a few minutes.

Let me know if you're ever in Colorado.  I'd like to buy you a **** or three.  (And milk for the little one in your picture.)

Many thanks!

Scott
    W6SDD
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    So happy you got it going, Scott. I think you'll find that wsjt-x will be a relatively simple job to set up, but again there is an extra moving piece, jt-bridge, if you want to log to MacLoggerDX. The xDax / xCat part should be pretty trivial once Loopback is set up for Fldigi. There are a number of guides to help with the job (I just have not yet done it - now that FT8 has taken over wsjt-x, I'm just not very interested - just not my thing to let the computer do all the work :-) By the way, if you are using a Mac, think about MacLoggerDX - integrates well with Fldigi using a simple AppleScript initiated by the logging macro in Fldigi, and the network abilities of both programs. Lots of information in the MacLoggerDX distribution. I have no skin in the dogpark game, just a happy user. Ted VE3TRQ
  • Justin W4JTD
    Justin W4JTD Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    JT-Bridge works great with MacLoggerDX, and you can use it with instances of WSJT-X running in a VM in W10 or if WSJT-X is running in MacOS. Simple and pretty easy to set up.... in fact it just logged a contact for me while I was typing this hi hi  ;-)

Justin
    KL2D
  • Scott
    Scott Member
    edited April 2018
    Thank you all for responding to my plea with helpful information.  I'm sure others will find these instructions helpful too.

See you on the waterfall.

Scott
    W6SDD

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.