Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How to control Stepir from remote computer

Burch - K4QXX
Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
In playing around with the remote option in 1.4, I am wondering how I can control my Stepir antenna.  I kept having to go into the hamshack to manually move the antenna between band changes.  I know some people on here have been running remote for sometime using 3 party software.  Is anyone doing this with a Stepir?  I use DDUtil to operate the Stepir.

Answers

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I run remote a lot...

Here is how to control the SteppIR

1.  Start SmartCAT and SSDR on the Local Computer
    2.  Load DDUTIL onto the Local Computer that controls the SteppIR
    3.  Stop SSDR on the Local Computer
    4.  Leave SmartCAT and DDUTIL running on the Local Computer
    5.  Start SSDR on the Remote Computer

The SteppIR will now follow frequency on the Remote Computer because it is reading frequency from SMARTCAT on the Remote. 
  • Dave -- W7IWW
    Dave -- W7IWW Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Neal Campbell helped me set up this same arrangement and it works perfectly.
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Very cool!  Thank you guys.  I will try this tonight when I get home from work. 
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    So I don't need to run DDUTIL on the remote computer?  I was using it on the remote computer for my logging software (HRD).
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I haven't tried DDUTIL on my remote yet... but then while i use HRD Logging,  I rarely log contacts unless they are Rare DX...I will try it later today to see if I can run 2 instances of DDUTIL on the same network.
  • W1IMD
    W1IMD Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    For those of us more paranoid types, I have installed a Moxa N5410 IP to 4 serial port server on the network and it can accept up to 4 simultaneous connections. So I can have DDUtil on the local computer and DDUtil on the remote as well. The Moxa software sets up virtual ports on each computer. As Ron Reagan said,  "Trust but verify"
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    No u don't need ddutil on the remote to control the SteppIR at Local
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    I had to set up DDUTIL with the proper Serial port and to specify the protocol. Having great success with a USB to serial adapter.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    If you only need HRD Logbook & DM780 on the remote computer then why not run MiniDeluxe 2 on the remote computer and DDUtil on local PC for StepIR and other peripheral integration? Dave, wo2x
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018

That is exactly what I am doing. Using DDUtil with a local computer with a USB to serial adapter plugging into the SteppIr serial port.

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

As a test I just ran DDUTIL on both my Local and Remote Computer

2 Instances of DDUTIL operating at the same time (one on Local and one on Remote) definitely works OK

I could run HRD Logbook on my Remote Computer under one instance of DDUTIL

And the LP-100, rotor, SteppIR on my Local Computer

It is just too bad the LP-100, Rotor, SteppIR are tied to the Local serial port rather than being Ethernet devices..

But Heck it will likely take another century to pass before other Ham Manufacturers abandon serial ports and join the 21st century Ethernet...

• Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Howard

Thanks for your help with this.  StepIR is working great remotely now.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018

Icom has joined the Ethernet band wagon. My 7800 remotes stand-alone and it can also control the SteippIR through the antiquated CI-V port. It's almost a SmartSDR in that I have an SDR-IQ piggy-backed to it so I get the same panorama as the SmartSDR. However, I prefer the Flex because of its wonderful potential.

Jim

• Carl Moreschi
    Carl Moreschi Member
    edited March 2015
    My N4PY Pegasus Plus can run using it's client-server and provide full control for LP-100, rotor, steppir, and various antenna switch boxes.  Also, Pegasus Plus can give full remote CW paddle operation using a K1EL winkey keyer.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Carl

Thanks for that info.. I plan to download and test it out on remote

Now if you could only figure out how to put spots into the Spectrum Display (like in NaP3) I would be first in line to buy your product.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.