Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How to connect Flex-6700 directly to the amplifier ACOM-600S?

Igor Dlf
Igor Dlf Member
edited December 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
How to connect the control of Flex-6700 directly to the amplifier ACOM-600S. Does anyone have experience or idea how to connect these devices?

Answers

• kr4k
    kr4k Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I have an ACOM 600S too. Currently, my two non-RF connection are
    (1) Flex 6700 TX1 and ACOM 600S Key-In - RCA phono shielded cable.
    (2) Ground strap

This should be all that is required if using the 600S auto band selection. From the 600S manual, "When you rely on an automatic change with the built-in frequency counter, it is a good practice (although not compulsory), that selecting a new band the operator makes one quite short “preliminary” transmission (100ms is enough) and leave a pause (also short) before the main transmission. During this pause the amplifier will change the band according to the new frequency without RF power, after which the operator can continue his operation as usual. "

My Flex Accessory 15-pin connection is to a SCS 7800 PACTOR MODEM, so the Flex is not available to talk to the 600S via RS232 from the Flex 15-pin accessory to the Acom 15-pin CAT/AUX interface.

73/gus  kr4k
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Igor,
        Currently the Flex 6xxx series does not offer a direct means of band tracking by serial or parallel  interface for any  external amplifier.  The method that GUS suggests above will work. Additionally DDUtil does offer band tracking without the use of RF sense for some types of amplifiers including the Acom 2K.  Likely the 600s would work as well.

AL, K0VM
  • Simon Lewis
    Simon Lewis Member ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    DDtuil will drive relay switches and BCD decoders - have a look at W9OY blog http://sdr-w9oy.blogspot.co.nz/
  • YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Dummie Question: Is there another way to connect Flex- 6XXX to Acom 600S?.....Does Acom 600s  (solid State) go to 600 Watts power?
    Would you buy an Acom 600S again  or would go for A1000?

Thanks 

George
    YV5WZ
  • kr4k
    kr4k Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    My ACOM 600s has failed. Received it March 10. Worked well at first, with 600W output. About April 20, the amplifier started throwing Bias errors. My Elecraft KPA500 works well on the same antenna with the Flex 6700. Not real happy with things since I am not getting response to my service requests. Amplifier still not fixed as of May 24 with no response from ACOM or Array Solutions. Cannot recommend this amplifier right now.
  • Stefano - W2WTZ
    edited June 2017
    I have 600s since a week. I sold an Ameritron, honest PA but Acom is another level. I'm very glad, only problem is sync by RS232 with 6500 for band change. Power is over 600W and duty cycle is 100%.
  • Stefano - W2WTZ
    edited June 2017
    I spoke to early..... My ACOM 600s has broken. It gets only half power. It's almost one month it's under repair in guarantee and no news about what is the defects. My antennas are well tuned with very low SWR, so I'm sure it's not a problem of high power. I'm evaluating to cross to Icom PW1... Be careful about interfacing becouse the port is declared ad RS232 but instaed it's not standard, Acom used some pins for non standard signals, as power on and so on. This information is not in the manual supplied but you have to download a pdf fron Acom site. I'm very disappointed.
  • Javi LU5FF
    Javi LU5FF Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Stefano, It might solve your problem with Acom 600s? how it works with the flex?
    73s
    Javi LU5FF
  • Stefano - W2WTZ
    edited October 2016
    Acom now works well but I can't have automatic band change by serial interface as DDutil does support only few PAs and not 600s. Last days I wrote a guide for dummies how to interface 6500 to MixW. Next weekend I will prepare another one, always for dummies, how to interface 6500 to Log4OM. Next one will be 6500 to QARTEST. Now I have to see where to publish them. I hope some day someone with big heart will write a guide for dummies with screenshots how to get 600s communicate with 6500........please........practical not theory...... :))

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.