Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How to completely crash 6300 running 1.5.1

Phil M0VSE
Phil M0VSE Member ✭✭
edited May 2018 in SmartSDR for Windows
This seems to be a new "feature" of 1.5.1 as i'm sure previous versions didn't allow this to happen but if I have A and B slice receivers on a single panadaptor (working split), the button at the bottom to add another panadaptor used to be greyed-out but now it isn't!

So I thought I would try it to see what happens and sure enough, another panadaptor opens. Unfortunately if I click on the new panadaptor, the 6300 crashes (power button doesn't even work)

I realise this is one of those, "it hurts when I press here" type questions (the answer being don't press there) but thought it was worth mentioning it if FRS aren't aware.

73 Phil 

Comments

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    What happens if you only an "A" slice and click on the forbidden button?
  • W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    good call Phil .. my 6300 immediately crashes. hard-reset required.
  • Phil M0VSE
    Phil M0VSE Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    It's fine then as I would expect it to be. The problem only seems to happen if I have two slices open on the first panadaptor and try to add a second panadaptor. I guess because the 6300 only has two slice receivers and it is trying to add a third?
  • Phil M0VSE
    Phil M0VSE Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    It's a proper crash as well isn't it? I had to pull the Powerpole out the back :)
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    I wonder if a similar situation occurs if one "over creates" slices for the 6500 and 6700?
  • Phil M0VSE
    Phil M0VSE Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    It will need somebody with deeper pockets than me to find out :)
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015

I have a 6500 but I am not about to find out as I am remoting it 150 miles away.

• Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I don't get it - why can't you have a panadaptor open without a slice assigned to it? I'll have to give this a try on my 6500.
  • W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    You should be able to ... and can. Clicking in the window crashes SSDR however.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited January 2018
    Have you run your radio with a different client software package?
  • Phil M0VSE
    Phil M0VSE Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Apart from DDUtil, nothing but SmartSDR has ever talked to it!
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    You can have a panadapter open without a slice, but the two are complimentary resources so it you create a panadapter it is assumed you want a receiver.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    OK.  Thanks.  I have entered this problem report into our bug tracker for additional investigation. Thank you for the defect report.
  • Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    OK, it was his original comment about not being able to open a 2nd panadaptor if both slices were in use that was throwing me off.
  • Phil M0VSE
    Phil M0VSE Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    That may be my faulty memory but I thought that in 1.4.6, if I had slice A and B already open in panadaptor 1 then the icon to add a second panadaptor was greyed-out but this may not be the case?
  • Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Probably was - I opened all four slices in the first panadaptor on my 6500, then proceeded to open three more panadaptors with no problem. Once I had the maximum of 4 opened for this radio, the icon greyed out indicating no more could be opened.
  • Bob-N9MBR
    Bob-N9MBR Member
    edited October 2015
    Works fine on my 6300. I opened one panadaptor with 2 slices. Then opened a second panadaptor with no problem.
  • W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Bob, you can open the second panadapter, but now click within the window and I am betting it crashes.
  • Bob-N9MBR
    Bob-N9MBR Member
    edited October 2015
    I finely got a chance to try it. And yes you were right. It Crashed and burned. It left the radio setup screen telling me that the radio needed to update. But there wasn't a radio to choose. And I had to pull the power to get the radio to shut down. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.