How to completely crash 6300 running 1.5.1

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Acknowledged
This seems to be a new "feature" of 1.5.1 as i'm sure previous versions didn't allow this to happen but if I have A and B slice receivers on a single panadaptor (working split), the button at the bottom to add another panadaptor used to be greyed-out but now it isn't!

So I thought I would try it to see what happens and sure enough, another panadaptor opens. Unfortunately if I click on the new panadaptor, the 6300 crashes (power button doesn't even work)

I realise this is one of those, "it hurts when I press here" type questions (the answer being don't press there) but thought it was worth mentioning it if FRS aren't aware.

73 Phil 
Photo of Phil m0vse

Phil m0vse

• 204 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Jim Gilliam

Jim Gilliam

• 803 Posts
  • 160 Reply Likes
What happens if you only an "A" slice and click on the forbidden button?
(Edited)
Photo of Phil m0vse

Phil m0vse

• 204 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
It's fine then as I would expect it to be. The problem only seems to happen if I have two slices open on the first panadaptor and try to add a second panadaptor. I guess because the 6300 only has two slice receivers and it is trying to add a third?
(Edited)
Photo of W7NGA

W7NGA

• 384 Posts
  • 155 Reply Likes
good call Phil .. my 6300 immediately crashes. hard-reset required.
(Edited)
Photo of Phil m0vse

Phil m0vse

• 204 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
It's a proper crash as well isn't it? I had to pull the Powerpole out the back :)
Photo of Jim Gilliam

Jim Gilliam

• 802 Posts
  • 160 Reply Likes
I wonder if a similar situation occurs if one "over creates" slices for the 6500 and 6700?
Photo of Phil m0vse

Phil m0vse

• 204 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
It will need somebody with deeper pockets than me to find out :)
Photo of Jim Gilliam

Jim Gilliam

• 802 Posts
  • 160 Reply Likes

I have a 6500 but I am not about to find out as I am remoting it 150 miles away.

Photo of Duane, AC5AA

Duane, AC5AA

• 358 Posts
  • 77 Reply Likes
I don't get it - why can't you have a panadaptor open without a slice assigned to it? I'll have to give this a try on my 6500.
Photo of W7NGA

W7NGA

• 382 Posts
  • 155 Reply Likes
You should be able to ... and can. Clicking in the window crashes SSDR however.
(Edited)
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 8672 Posts
  • 3260 Reply Likes
You can have a panadapter open without a slice, but the two are complimentary resources so it you create a panadapter it is assumed you want a receiver.
Photo of Duane, AC5AA

Duane, AC5AA

• 358 Posts
  • 77 Reply Likes
OK, it was his original comment about not being able to open a 2nd panadaptor if both slices were in use that was throwing me off.
Photo of Phil m0vse

Phil m0vse

• 204 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
That may be my faulty memory but I thought that in 1.4.6, if I had slice A and B already open in panadaptor 1 then the icon to add a second panadaptor was greyed-out but this may not be the case?
Photo of Duane, AC5AA

Duane, AC5AA

• 358 Posts
  • 77 Reply Likes
Probably was - I opened all four slices in the first panadaptor on my 6500, then proceeded to open three more panadaptors with no problem. Once I had the maximum of 4 opened for this radio, the icon greyed out indicating no more could be opened.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 8698 Posts
  • 3268 Reply Likes
Have you run your radio with a different client software package?
Photo of Phil m0vse

Phil m0vse

• 204 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
Apart from DDUtil, nothing but SmartSDR has ever talked to it!
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 8698 Posts
  • 3268 Reply Likes
OK.  Thanks.  I have entered this problem report into our bug tracker for additional investigation. Thank you for the defect report.
Photo of Bob-N9MBR

Bob-N9MBR

• 11 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Works fine on my 6300. I opened one panadaptor with 2 slices. Then opened a second panadaptor with no problem.
(Edited)
Photo of W7NGA

W7NGA

• 384 Posts
  • 155 Reply Likes
Bob, you can open the second panadapter, but now click within the window and I am betting it crashes.
(Edited)
Photo of Bob-N9MBR

Bob-N9MBR

• 11 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I finely got a chance to try it. And yes you were right. It Crashed and burned. It left the radio setup screen telling me that the radio needed to update. But there wasn't a radio to choose. And I had to pull the power to get the radio to shut down.