Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How to Change COM port for FT-8

Lee - N5LN
Lee - N5LN Member ✭✭
WSJT software won't connect to FLEX 6500.  I don't think the COM port is the Same.  The Hamlib error is given.  It was working on my older (now crashed) computer.  

Answers

• Gary NC3Z
    Gary NC3Z Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Can you be a bit more vague?

In SmartCAT you need to be using a TCP Serial CAT port, and in WSJT-X define using that port. Here are some screen shots that will show you what to look for:

• Lee - N5LN
    Lee - N5LN Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Thanks for the response.  Sorry about being vague.  The problem is a rig control issue and I'm frustrated.   I'm new to FT8 (as I'm an old CW op).  I'm missing something and find navigating between the Flex and the WSJT software frustrating ? I've created Port 60000, added to server but on the PTT section can't get 60000 there.  I have COM 1 & 3 available?  Made TCP Port 60000, too.
    The WSJT keeps saying "Rig Control Error"   New computer, Upgraded FLEX software.  Maybe server error?  Thanks anyway.  73's de N5LN   Oscar
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Open SmartCAT and create a new port for your WSJT-X operation.  Use the ADD button and select a TCP Port.  Give it a number that is unused, such as 5005, etc.  Select the button that auto-switches it to the slice you are using for FT8, if you wish to use that feature.  Then hit SAVE.

In WSJT setup, as the picture above shows, select "Flexradio 6xxx" in the "Rig" pulldown.
    Enter the port number.... 127.0.0.1:5005  (Or whatever port number you have set up.

In the PTT section of the setup screen, select CAT.  This will send your PTT signals via the TCP Port you just defined in the previous steps.  There is no need to select a different port number for PTT.

Select "Data/pkt" in the section that asks for the mode definition.
    You may also want to hit the "Fake it" button if that matches your operating style.

Hit "Test CAT" and you should get a green light.  if not, then you haven't set up your TCP port correctly.

Hit "Test PTT" and the rig should switch into transmit mode.   (You may need to hit it again to cancel PTT)

If not, then it isn't registering your CAT port correctly.

Set up a Mic Profile for WSJT that uses DAX TX Audio for input, Low cut and high cut at 0 and 3000 Hz.
    Make sure the DAX button is active.

Let me know if this helps.

Ken - NM9P

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    If you are getting a Rig Control error, it may be because you are trying to use the same port number for other things in WSJT-X, like communicating with your logger, reporting to PSKReporter, etc.  Or perhaps because you have connected your rig and computer to each other incorrectly and they aren't talking to each other correctly.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited August 2019
    I was having the same issue. I  changed the parameter to localhost:****   Where **** is the port number and it worked
  • Gary NC3Z
    Gary NC3Z Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Give us some shots of your WSJT-X Radio settings and of SmartCAT so we know what we are working with. 

I just helped another ham over the phone with the same exact issue and we got it quickly resolved.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.