Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How to avoid SPE 1K-FA to control drive power at FLEX 6600M?

Options
Tonno Vahk
Tonno Vahk Member ✭✭
I am using FTDI USB to Serial interface between 6600M and SPE 1K-FA to send Flex CAT to SPE. As you know it is also controlling the drive power as set by the user.

Now when using MultiClient the concept does not work any more because SPE will be controlling TX power for both clients (whoever transmits last) whatever settings you use at Flex side. When I have 1 client using TX ANT 1 and the other TX ANT 2 with different amp I cannot independently set drive power for TX ANT 2 any more.

So - is there are way how to avoid SPE setting the drive power at Flex but still using CAT or those 2 things cannot be separated?

Tonno
ES5TV

Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Hi Tonno

Have you looked into using FRStack to help out?

http://www.mkcmsoftware.com/Flex/Index

Or, what if you set up a Profile that controls the TX1 keying line and a Max power of 25 watts (or whatever you need)?

Mike

• Mark Erbaugh
    Mark Erbaugh Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Options
    What if you set the amp’s max power to 100w. That way it would set the max power to 100w and you could use your profile to set the actual power?
  • Tonno Vahk
    Tonno Vahk Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Thanks Mike. I have to admit I have not acquainted myself with the myriad of the support programs available including FRStack. I will do it and perhaps it offers an easy solution! As for setting up any profile linked to a specific keying line I think it does not work. That is what I meant - it looks like SPE controls the transmitter power as such. CAT is dependent on the selection of the keying line, antenna, slice whatever. Power control simply sets the transmit power whatever slice/antenna etc is being used.
  • Tonno Vahk
    Tonno Vahk Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I am not at the station but as I remember I cannot set any max or min power level. There is Full and Half setting at SPE but I have to select one specific drive power level for that profile and power at Flex will always revert to that level when changed.
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Been following this as an owner of an SPE amp. I use the SPE control program and it is set to auto start via the PC start file. I find that using the SPE sw is easy and convenient as I can make rapid changes easily, for such things as activating the amp, changing to alternate antennas or quick adjustments to power output of the amp. Doing all this via the app. Is very sensible because the amp should be the point where we adjust power since we do not use ALC. The power and status monitoring, is superior to trying to do it from the radio.
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Options
    When Flex and SPE are interconnected via USB-Serial then there is no way to separate that power command.

You have two options really:

1) Remove the USB serial interconnect, connect the SPE amp to a computer and use a utility like DDUtil or FRStack to control the amp.  Both can set frequency the way the USB/Serial interconnect did and both and set/control Flex power as you desire.  You must have these programs running full time and if you op remote you will need remote access to the computer.

2) Allow the USB/Serial connection between the amp and Flex but use a program that allows you to tell the SPE amp to change the drive power.   FRLogger does this and it allows you full control of the amp remotely if you desire using a TCP/Serial network device.  No remote access to any computer required.

In this configuration the changes that can be made to drive power are exactly as if you touch the buttons on the amp display.  You can bump it up or down.

• Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    SPE’s. Own SW is very good and works well with the flex/SPE combination. Try it for awhile. Also the SPE will allow for warnings if a hazardous condition, letting you know immediately and precisely. I have tried other apps, but found them wanting.... When Flex, activated the USB connectivity for third part devices, that made it much more reliable. What also helps is the well made cable from a SPE supplier. I am an experienced builder and the cable supplied was first rate and well engineered. I could not duplicate it at any cost. One great feature is that it powers the SPE on when I turn on the Flex. I never have to touch the Amp... I have tried all the available third party apps that have SPE control features and found them to be underwhelming and in some cases unreliable or under developed.
  • NR4O
    NR4O Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Tonno, I have run into the same issue you have with my SPE 1.3k. It appears to be a bug in the Flex SW. I’ve recently filed a bug report. I worked around this issue by changing the SPE amps CAT setting to Kenwood radio. This allows the SPE to track the Flex frequency and shuts off the power control feedback commands. You can then create a TX1 and TX2 profile with the drive levels needed per band using the transmitter settings menu item. This allows me to run 2 different amplifiers. It’s not ideal, because I have to set up 3 different TX profiles. One for each of the 3 power outputs the SPE provides. Each requires a slightly different power level. Eric - NR4O
  • Tonno Vahk
    Tonno Vahk Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Yes, thanks Eric! This is exactly the advise I was looking for! I have not been to my station to test but changing the CAT from Flex to Kenwood was exactly something that I was planning to try out! Excellent. 
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Check amp set up and see what was selected.  I use Flex with no problems...

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.