Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How to add remote CW contest capability to Flex-6000 without a remote PC

Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP
Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP Member ✭✭
edited March 2020 in Contesting
Flex-6000 series is a great contest radio. However, when running contests from a remote location (without a remote PC) present SDR software cannot produce local CW sidetone unless you use the built in CWX keyer and NOT use a logger program to automate it all. Flex will eventually come up with a solution soon but till then we need a solution. The solution is the Remote Rig concept and allows you to get sidetone without the need for a remote PC. After more than 5 years of serious DX-ing and contesting I believe that being without a remote PC at radio site greatly improves durability and robustness of the remote contest set up. For sure in a 48 h contest is my experience.  

I here provide a link from my blog to show how to set up the boxes for this: 
http://remotedxandcontestblog.sm0hrp.se/2018/02/04/how-to-add-remote-contest-capability-to-flex-6000...
The set up can also be used for FT8 and no DAX-usage if you do not have the available data bandwidth at the remote location (as I have). 

Answers

• ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Kari I send you a direct email with some additional comments and potential additions.
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I have a Flex 6300 which I operate remotely from my garage over a wired network connection. Next to the Flex 6300 is my first HF Radio, an IC-7100 controlled remotely as well over the same wired network and a pair of Remote Rig boxes to put the control head inside the house. (I did this to add remote VHF/UHF operation to my remote Flex HF station.) I can attest to the rock-solid performance of the Remote Rig boxes.
  • Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP
    edited March 2020
    Here is my set up as a schematic to those who have asked.

• John - AF3K
    John - AF3K Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Kari - Thank you for documenting this and for the schematic ! Awesome set up.  I'm glad I didn't sell my RRC-1258 MkII.  I used them with remotehamradio.com and was very impressed with the low latency - even on CW.
    73, John AF3K
  • Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP
    edited April 2018
    Thanks John. Yes the remote rig boxes are very good. You may also use them to compress DAX remote chanleling e g when working remote FT8. I plan to do that next. SmartLink or SmartSDR can yet not compress DAX over remote.  
    73 Kari SM0HRP
  • Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP
    edited February 2020
    A more updated schematic with USB COM ports for RRC is found on version 2 of the schematic. 
    http://remotedxandcontestblog.sm0hrp.se/wp-admin/post.php?post=234&action=edit
    73s Kari 
  • John - AF3K
    John - AF3K Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Kari. Wow! Hadn't thought of that. It will be very interesting to see the test results. Please keep us all informed!!
    73, John
  • John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Kari, this brings up a Wordpress admin login window for me. Is there another link to the schematic image? Thank you.
  • IW7DMH, Enzo
    IW7DMH, Enzo Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Hello,

is there a way to know how Maestro keys the rig? For me this is the missing piece to have a perfect remote cw keyer. It seems .Net Apis don't offer this feature.

73' Enzo
    iw7dmh

• Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited April 2018
  • IW7DMH, Enzo
    IW7DMH, Enzo Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Thank you Eric,

I missed that thread and I wasn't aware of the Api's improvements.
    I am developing a remote cw keyer and I am at the point I can digitally mix audio from flex and local generated tone.
    I hope to be able to develop the host application and key the rig without additional hardware.

Best regards
    Enzo, iw7dmh

• Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP
    edited April 2018
    Great Enzo! Look forward to seeing the results. 73 Kari
  • W4PQ
    W4PQ Member
    edited March 2020
    How to get an Entire Hardware list #’s and include cables necessary for Remote Rig the Pair With Maestro ver B , and New Flex 6400 I am not happy with QSK Cw, and side tone with stock equipment Thanks Jacob KK4UU
  • Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP
    edited March 2020
    Do you have the basic pair of Remote Rig boxes? Since this was written there is a new alternative with Matt NQ6N API Flex CW keyer. I have posted a video of it in action on this community.
  • W4PQ
    W4PQ Member
    edited March 2020
    I have Single K3/0 mini remote head for Elecraft K3 And (1) Remote Rig Control side with cables for elecraft. It’s being used for CW as a Service, thru RemoteHamRadio.Com Just pay $$$, by the minute to run big heavy hitter contest stations. Have , now invested in Maestro B version and Flex 6400 box. I love CW QSK Wishing the hardware exact list, as you describe. Because Remote rig for Elecraft is great, and wish to try with Flex ! What do you think KK4UU Jacob in Naples Florida

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.