Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How much weight can a 6500/6700 chassis support?

Mark G Thomas
Mark G Thomas Member ✭✭
I'm trying to determine how much weight the Flex-6500/6700 chassis can safely support without risk of damage. Specifically, I'd like to know if I can set a 26 lb Elecraft KPA500 on top.

-Mark Thomas (KC3DRE)

Answers

• Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Please expand the question to include the 6300 and include both the KPA500 Amp and the KAT500 Tuner. TNX.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I've run my KPA500 atop my 6500 with no apparent distress.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2019
    I am afraid that we don't support Elecraft or any other third-party products ;-)

Seriously, the weight bearing capacity of the 6000 depends on where the weight is placed. If it is all on the edges of the radio chassis, it will support more weight that if in the center.  We have not tested it and I can't recommend placing things on top of it, but if you chose to do so, I'd consider using something that will displace the weight to the edges of the chassis.
  • Marty VK2VCC
    Marty VK2VCC Member
    edited August 2017
    i would suggest a more common sense approach and use a rule of heaviest item on the bottom. carton of Eggs vs Fridge.
  • Steve G1XOW
    Steve G1XOW Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    better off with a small air gap anyway for heat dissipation reasons. I'd use 1.5 inch rubber feet placed in the corners.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I would get a small shelf.
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    This is akin to saying how many bricks can I safely load into the back of my new Corvette. :)
  • Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Tim said that you can stack as many 6700/6500's on top of each other as you want.
  • Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    How about 6300's?
  • Ned K1NJ
    Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
         Yes, as Steve says, and with warmer device on top.

Ned,  K1NJ

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    It's easy to add shelve and give your equipment space to breath so they are less likely to have a heat issues.image
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Love the creativity with the bolts. 

The home stores also have shelf pieces with **** on legs you can use. They don't look bad at all. Or you can get a network cabinet. I'm planning to get one to take the radio, amp and BPFs off the desk. 
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I recommend getting the Kantek Single Level Height-Adjustable Monitor/Laptop Stand to put over your Flex. It fits perfectly over my 6700 , is open on all sides for ventilation and provides great protection. You can adjust the height and it's very strong. I have the height adjusted so it sits about a half inch above my Flex.

Some owners are using it for 42" TV's  so it should support your amp and tuner but you need to be the judge of that.

I paid $17.00 on Amazon. It looks great with the Flex. Here's the link if you're interested

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HA6KOC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    There's not any trouble ....I had mine one year and half image
  • Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Thank You for a genuinely useful post.
  • KM6CQ - Dan
    KM6CQ - Dan Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    I like Tim's answer the best. 
    "I am afraid that we don't support Elecraft or any other third-party products ;-)"

Dan
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited April 2017
    A clever little answer if I say so myself :-)
  • Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    But what do you do for an encore...?  :-)
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited April 2017
    Sing poorly and tap dance ever worse.
  • Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Hmmm... Maybe you could play The FlexRadio Polka on an accordion and yodel?  :-)
    http://thefreight.org/sites/default/files/130104_0.jpg  

• Tim - W4TME
    edited April 2017
    That would be one expensive ticket. :-P
  • roger na4rr
    roger na4rr Member
    edited February 2019
    Does your neck get sore looking at everything sideways :):)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.